Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 10, 2020, 09:47:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FW 43 Falke -BUILD-  (Read 4347 times)
tobgun
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2008, 07:38:44 PM »

Hello all,

here is some progress on my FW 43.

I once saw a picure of it and was rather hooked by its shape, which I like. There was only one plane build and scale information is rather rare.

For building i drafted a rough plan over a 3-view. I always do that in Powerpoint and recommend the techique.

On the pictures you see that the construction of the front looks rather odd. I was not careful enough when sanding and ripped the whole front apart. I thought that was it but the formed cowl somehow survived and I puzzled it all back togehter.

I also went out with the delta dyke for a first trimming session. that will be a hard nut to crack but at least i got something similar to a flight out of it lasting 10 econds and it is still in one piece.

Thats it for today, Best Regards Tobias
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
FW 43 Falke -BUILD-
FW 43 Falke -BUILD-
FW 43 Falke -BUILD-
tobgun
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:04:49 PM »

here is the original aircraft for the ones who want to know.

I need to finish this plane soon as i had destroyed the aft fuse while sanding today. Another nerve wrecking repair. Will return to 1,5mm wood next time.
Re: FW 43 Falke build
tobgun
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 07:32:11 PM »

Hello all, a few pics after the building session.

added window plastic sheets, noseplug, wheelpants, covered stab and rudder

Not much for a day. I want to see it fly

Tobias
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 07:33:34 PM »

I understand better your attraction for this plane. Thanks for showing it. Keep plugging.

Dan G.

Dan Garsonnin CA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
tobgun
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 06:33:20 PM »

Did cover it today. Looks more like a plane now

Current weight is 6 g excluding the prop. It is not doped yet

Best REgards, Tobias
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 07:29:19 PM »

6g? Better say goodbye now.
A wonderfully obscure model, Tobias. I love it. Well up to your usual standard. I assume we will be treated to a video of it flying? I'll miss seeing your old field though.

Bill.

Bill Brown UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
julio
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 07:35:44 PM »

I also went out with the delta d**e for a first trimming session. that will be a hard nut to crack but at least i got something similar to a flight out of it lasting 10 seconds and it is still in one piece.
Tobgun
Excuse my ignorance (and my english vocabulary...). What do you mean with "delta d**e" for a first trimming session?
By the way, very nice model. The wheelpants are great looking and the cowl gives a lot of personality to this model.
Is it necessary to dope the finished model for indoor flying, or is it a aesthetic personal decision?
Please keep posting!

Julio
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 07:46:32 PM by julio » Logged

I think I will stay a novice forever.
tobgun
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 07:57:09 PM »

Is it necessary to dope the finished model for indoor flying, or is it a aesthetic personal decision?
Please keep posting!

Julio

Thanks for your kind word Julio, I fly most of my planes outdoor where humidity is an issue. Doping is a must therefore. I also like the better looks of a doped model. This one is going to the Nijmegen indoor contest, which is my first contest ever. I will only participate for fun but I wanted to have something with me that fly's and hopefully look ok.

The Delta Dyke is anoth aircraft that I built for the meeting in Nijmegen, but this time I am not so sure it will fly.

Attached is a still of it and here is a video of the first flight attempt. You can also see my new small field which is close by the house.

http://www.schauggspace.de/Aircraft/Delta%20Dyke/delta%20dyke%20first%20flight.wmv
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 08:28:47 PM »

Julio,

There is no need to dope anything (unless you're going to fly in the rain). People dope their tissue for a number of reasons: tightens the tissue, induces gloss, transparency, and brilliance of colour, and adds a tiny bit of protection against wetness.

However, doping has its risks. Shrinking dope can really shrink and turn your delicate stab into a pretzel. Many indoor planes won't be doped at all, and some won't even have water-shrinked their tissue, they are so wary of warps. I usually dope with a 50% mixture (dope and thinner) for better control over the amount of dope being deposited, and the quality of finish will be finer with thinner coats. I usually have a little more dope on the fuselage (maybe three coats, half-and-half) which will help a little against rubber lube spatter, a little less on the wings (maybe two coats), and least on the tail feathers (maybe one coat) -- this for an indoor plane, although I don't do differently for outdoors.

With shrinkage being the thorniest problem, try lighter coverings if you can find them. On a delicate structure, doped condenser tissue may look better than slack Japanese tissue. You can dope without water shrinking, which would be worth testing, if you're stuck with heavy tissue -- this will shrink only a little. Part of dope's problem is that it will continue shrinking for years afterward, pulling tighter and ever tighter. Do try other finishes. Dope shrinks the most, although non-tightening dope is available. Lacquer shrinks less and Krylon even less (I think -- I've never tried it). Dope is also the lightest finish -- one reason why it remains popular. Don't forget that weight.

Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 99

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 08:52:44 PM »

The Delta Dyke is anoth aircraft that I built for the meeting in Nijmegen, but this time I am not so sure it will fly.

Tobias, that thing is dutch rolling something awful. Try adding a clear plastic extension to the rudder and see if that helps. It looks to me like the cabin is blocking airflow to the rudder, thereby robbing the model of directional stability. Also, your CG may be too far aft, but I can't say for sure until you get the dutch roll squared away.
julio
Gold Member

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 09:27:53 PM »

Tobgun

Thanks for your answer. Your FW 43 could be kind of unusual at the Nijmegen indoor contest (extra points perhaps?). Good luck there and keep us informed!
I saw the Delta Dyke in one of your posts and is also an original design and promising flyier. Hope you get it trimmed for Nijmegen.

Julio

julio
Gold Member

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »

Dan G.

Thanks for your answer too! Lots of good info there. I asked about doping because I was thinking indoors and related with extra weight. You also added a comment that made me point to a new topic. Rubber lube.

Julio
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:36:39 PM by julio » Logged

tobgun
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 08:25:42 PM »

Hi all,

I am always in danger of rushing the build when the finish line is in sight. This time it was no different, however the Nijmwegen meeting is coming up on the weekend and that was the main trigger for the build.

I am rather happy with the outcome. It is a bit above my usual standard of imperfection and the shape is just cute.

There are a few pictures of the FW 43 on the Luftarchiv website which I can highly recommend as a resource for german historic aircraft

http://www.luftarchiv.de/
-> check for Motorflugzeuge -> Fock Wulf

Another resource was a resin kit review to be found here
http://www.freewebs.com/aeroscale/fw43.htm

The plane was build over the following adjusted 3-view
http://www.schauggspace.de/Aircraft/FW%2043/a%2043%20falke.ppt

And finally a few pictures

Best Regards, Tobias
julio
Gold Member

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 09:07:06 PM »

Cute bird! Great photographer too!

Julio

Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 11:16:51 PM »

Congrats, Tobias ... when are you going to try it out?

Dan G.

BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 09:23:19 AM »

Nice one Tobi. It's got an 'Ernst' look about it.
Best of luck at Nijmegan.

Bill.

Bill Brown UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
jernst
Gold Member

Kudos: 39

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 09:37:01 AM »

It's got an 'Ernst' look about it.

Hey - wait a minute!...... Wink

Looks like a fun plane, Tobias. Good luck.

On a side note - have you posted the web address of your model website? THere are some wonderful flying videos there and I bet many would like to see them.
tobgun
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 07:19:12 PM »

It's got an 'Ernst' look about it.
Hey - wait a minute!...... Wink

Looks like a fun plane, Tobias. Good luck.

On a side note - have you posted the web address of your model website? There are some wonderful flying videos there and I bet many would like to see them.

Sure, just hit that world button.

btw. my number drawing abilities (would not even call it skill) are way below " Ernst" style. However I would say it takes guts to handdraw something onto an aircraft into which many hours were invested. Also my printer ran out of ink and I had no other chance Smiley

Best Regards, Tobias
hermit
Gold Member

Kudos: 52

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 07:50:13 PM »

Good luck this weekend Tobias. By the way, there is a thread for posting web addresses as well, if you want to. We'll be waiting for pics from the meet you realize. Wink

Doug
julio
Gold Member

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 07:54:19 PM »

Tobgun

How do the Nijmegen indoor contest went? I hope you did well!

Julio

bruce-ter

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 08:25:24 PM »

Wow, has been a long time since I have watched a Tobias video. All new computer and yet I recognized the video site.

thanks
Bruce
tobgun
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 11:19:48 AM »

Tobgun

How do the Nijmegen indoor contest went? I hope you did well!

Julio

Julio, It did not go well at all as I got the flu the evening before an stay in bed since then. Have to wait to next year it seems or drive to brno to meet some fellow modellers
julio
Gold Member

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 06:07:20 PM »

Sorry about the flu and loosing the indoor event Undecided. Hope you get better soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: