Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 07, 2020, 05:47:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: F7f Tigercat plan by Dick Howard  (Read 2562 times)
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 20

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2020, 12:31:16 PM »

Yup! That's a real good idea--when doing the upper fuselage (above the belt line) you could even set your wing mounting/alignment reference points, so that they are "level", measured up from the building board. 

Well, I'm not going to belabor this discussion any further, it's not my thread.  Have fun with "however" you choose to tackle this one!  Over and out.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2020, 12:48:01 PM »

Well,  ...   this is what I came up with for a drawing ...

Pic #1     5733     F7F TIGERCAT

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

PS  Just noticed the above posts -  Tim, how about a pic?  Indoorflyer -  "belabor" ??  I was seriously thinking about building this one ...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: F7f Tigercat plan by Dick Howard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Duncan McBride
Silver Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2020, 01:26:00 PM »

Build it, it is a fine flying twin.  Since the cross sections are on the drawing it is a simple matter to cut some bulkheads and use conventional construction and I would do that again if I build another.  Or if I scale it up to a 54" Mega....   yeah, that's the ticket!
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2020, 08:32:56 PM »

All of the ideas expressed here have me deciding I just can't sit on the sidelines any longer. I really appreciate all the helpful hints that have been offered on the subject. This design just went to the "next one " for my building project list. Just want to get started with this amazing little peanut. Hope others will join me now that the mysteries have been explained. THANKS EVERYONE. Now lets go get started.  I will build the top half first, then build the bottom half and then glue them together.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2020, 12:12:39 PM »

I did get this Tigercat started last night. I am about to do the fuselage when I get the top longeron formed that runs from former 3 to the base of the rudder. This will help me use the 1/20th indoor balsa strips I have. This is looking so easy now that the sketches were done to help us all get started. Thanks to Dick Howard and his being a GENTLEMAN. I really like this design. Gene Smith has also been a great helper. Also the friend who gave me his Tigercat . That would be Bob Isaacs. Bob gave me a canopy and I will probably use his two props for mine. It looks to be a great little Peanut Scale model. Grin Grin Grin Grin 
Duncan McBride
Silver Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2020, 08:38:22 PM »

Hey, Dan Driscoll and I went out to our little local field to log some flights for the Postal Mini Nats and on my first flight it finally broke a minute!  62 seconds, it was great!  Of course I came nowhere close to that on successive flights.  I relearned a lesson I noted in my logbook a few months ago, that with long braided motors the very first winding has the best chance of unwinding without bunching, and after that you are almost guaranteed bunching around the rear peg.  Depending on which motor bunched the Tigercat spiraled in to the left or right about halfway through the motor run, hitting the ground around 30-35 seconds.  I'm going to bite the bullet and shorten the motors.  The glide is just so much better than the power spiral into the earth that it will be worth shortening the motor run, especially if I can get it higher.  And three-blade props.  With higher pitch!  Bigger motors!  Boy this is fun.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: F7f Tigercat plan by Dick Howard
Walt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2020, 10:36:46 PM »

Neat stuff there Duncan! Congratulations on breaking a minute!
Wally
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: