Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 25, 2019, 10:56:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Me262 by Peter Iliffe  (Read 2195 times)
daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2016, 08:58:40 AM »

Just had a 'phone call from Pete to say he flew the 262 this morning in his local field over grass about two feet high. He was over the moon as the model took off straight from a hand launch into a stable and surprisingly slow flight. It was so stable and easily controlled that he considered landing it on the prepared, mowed strip but in the end thought better of it for a first attempt and landed it back on the long grass. However, on the approach he throttled it right back and it behaved beautifully in the glide. He reckons that it will ROG easily. The big change is that he's gone from 2S to 3S batteries, which necessitated some surgery but as well as giving more thrust had the added bonus of moving the CG forward. I told him that we'd all love to see a video of it flying and he said that he'd contact Russ to go and film it in action. Great news.

Dave
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 122

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 10:15:28 AM »

Great to know! Look forward to seeing it in action.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2016, 12:39:28 PM »

OK the model I can handle but the fact it flys so well - no not blooming fair!!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2016, 04:28:24 PM »

I've just picked up an excited voice mail message from Pete ... he sure is happy!  Smiley
Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 02:10:17 AM »

I've seen this model at the indoor nationals. It is amazing, just like anything he builds. He used it to make short power runs over the floor. The sound reminded me of a steam train whistle.

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 05:19:46 PM »

I've now seen the 262 flying and it is absolutely superb. I've never seen anything look so real in the air (and that includes lots of much bigger models) - it 'sits' just right and is as stable as a rock. Sounds good too. It really is unfair that so much talent has been given to one bloke (even if he is a friend and a nice guy with it).

Dave
Bill G
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2016, 08:50:05 PM »

Beautiful 262 model.  I've had a 30mm EDF 262 model for almost 10 years, but finally took some video.  As mentioned, from experimenting with 262s I had learned about the forward CG, as well as downthrust, finally getting it right on the first try with this model.  

This is the second flight of this model. The single Castle TBird 6 ESC sometimes requires a few start attempts to get both motors running, but once running there are no problems, as long as throttle is not reduced to zero. The throttle was reduced partway through the video, with the setup having plenty of power for the model. More details are in the video description. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvzs9kG1QeA
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Me262 by Peter Iliffe
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2016, 09:32:56 AM »

I had the opportunity to examine or more precisely admire the 262 at Flying Aces and although the fuselage is Peters monocoque method the wings etc. are simply stick and tissue - attached is a photo and frankly in the flesh is it hard not to believe the wings are sheeted. 

And his little W20 is not bad either!
PaulM
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2016, 07:17:29 PM »

Hi Gang
 I recently built Peters Heinkel 162 c but for free flight, that monocoque construction is really amazing..and strong , I'm not the builder that Peter is by any stretch..but I actually made it fly , for which I'm dead chuffed Smiley

BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2016, 07:26:55 PM »

Where doers one get hold of plans for Peter's designs? I am curious to see his construction style.
Bernard

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2016, 07:33:15 PM »

Bernard,

Pete rarely draws up plans ... he tends to work directly over a scaled up three view.
He did draw up the plans for the 162 that Paul describes ... I transcribed these to CAD and they were published the the now discontinued RC Model Flyer.
They are still available through (I think) Aeromodeller.
Paul's thread for the Heinkel shows the construction method involved.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: