Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 15, 2019, 02:24:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: mustang handlaunch foam model  (Read 531 times)
B.karthik

« on: June 12, 2009, 05:05:08 AM »

hi friends with your help i have a made a complete biofoam model with the template i got from my guide.i used slow setting glue to join all parts and i used 4mm biofoam thickness .i think this is the scalemodel of MUSTANG.It may be anything as i am a beginner i am concerned only about construction.
now i didnt testglide as i fear it will break.
now i am going to testglide it today and post the information later in this thread.now what are the next steps i need to take?
thanks for any help
karthik
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
mustang handlaunch foam model
Ployd
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 08:51:27 AM »

Put at least 2" (50mm) of dihedral under each wing tip before test gliding.

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
B.karthik

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:40:05 AM »

yes ployd i will do it but the nose of the fuselage is damaged as it is foam so how can i protect my fuselage...?
thanks for help
karthik
Duco Guru

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 11:06:15 AM »

Karthik:

To prevent further damage to your foam fuselage, you can:
1. Stop gliding the airplane Shocked
2. Build another fuselage out of wood
3. Coat the foam nose with epoxy... not fiberglass resin (which attacks and destroys foam.)

Guru
probligo

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 04:42:07 PM »

There is an old trick I learned from one of our ancients (he is still flying indoor classes at the age of 87 Cool).

The trick is how to bend bamboo over a candle flame.

Use a suitable length of bamboo (a kebab stick about 3mm diameter would be a good start). Shave down to about 1.5mmx3mm and then bend to (roughly) the shape of the lower profile of the fuselage. It does not need to go any further back than the le of the wing, so it will also count toward the nose ballast required.

Glue it on with your slow adhesive.

If you can get hold of a piece of sheet galv steel (about .3mm or so guage) bend it to a 'U' shape and put that over the candle as an anvil. Bend the bamboo by wetting the inside surface (spit is useful!!) and then run it slowly over the hot metal (or over, not through, the candle flame). Takes a bit of practice but it works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: