Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2019, 06:52:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dick Howard Piper Navajo Chieftain  (Read 6050 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 02:54:30 PM »

Sorry Guru, Embarrassed I guess I just don't get out too often. I have several calipers. I suffer from the curse of availability. Anyway, the beat goes on next up is to build the wing, but I am gonna mirror-image the left side and straighten things up a bit first.

The Threadkiller!
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »

Worry?  Nope, that's just the fuselage.  And no rubber in it so it's just for show anyway.  Just cover it and paint it like the Arizona state flag or something dazzley like that.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2016, 08:12:09 AM »

Well, here is the final sad violin song on my Dick Howard stick box! But on the cheery side, its all straight, and I am feeling better thanks to Drs Guru and Strato for talking me off the ledge! now for the other two fuselages. Guru, gonna imitate your spinner routine and do Midkiff baked basswood popsickle sticks. I can eyeball the three blade drill locations as well as the next guy. But hold not thy breath, I'm going in for a heart operation tomorrow! If I make it back I will get on with this build tomorrow pm!

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Dick Howard Piper Navajo Chieftain

The Threadkiller!
Modelace
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2016, 11:11:33 AM »

To save some "eyeball" cut a piece of masking tape about 1/16" wide. Wrap it around your spinner at the correct diameter where the props are to be mounted.
Now cut the tape to the EXACT length (full circumference) while it is still on the spinner and peel it off. Divide the peeled tape into 3 equal parts and mark it with a pencil. Put it back in place and mark three EQUAL spots, exactly 120 degrees apart. Drill!
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 09:47:36 AM »

Crabby I hope to see you back on the project soon. Hope all is well with you after the heart operation.

Allen
Ki44LvR
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 08:40:53 AM »

Crabby, looking very nice - great to see the fuselage coming together and looking forward to seeing the rest of the construction. I do hope that things went well with your op and that we'll see you back here soon.
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 11:46:42 AM »

Hope the surgery goes well and look forward to seeing the build!

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2016, 06:22:01 AM »

Crabby, you are not alone, I did the same mistake on a plan which was stitched together....
The difference is, that I did not have your self control. I smashed it and built a new one. Your approach is much better Smiley
Popcorn is ready, I will follow you.

Roman
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2016, 08:38:24 AM »

Fellows many thanks for the well-wishes! Yesterday I rec'd medicated stent #5 this one in the Obtuse marginal artery. Its was 80% blocked and took full air pressure angioplast to pop it open before the stent was inserted. I was able to watch the whole thing. I will not preach much here, but will say, that odd sensation in your chest and arms that you will shrug off is a major red flag to get your fat ass to the ER, while you have symptoms to diagnose! Most likely when the widow-maker comes, you will quietly slump over your building board, and your sad widow will have to take it from there! Eat right don't smoke, have at least a modicum of awareness of what goes down your pie-hole, and you will still have troubles, but your awareness will be keener. If you are a stress addict, find peace, grab it and never let go its your best bet! END OF SERMON.

OK I was going to build the wing next but since the nacelles are mounted to the top, and a major part of the wing construction, I opted to do them next... as has been said, they are actually 2 more fuselages. I am going to build them all at once and have set up jigs on my mag-board, carefully made 4 identical NS-1. I made my patterns from 10 mil polycarb. You can get as much as you need out of the dumpster behind your local sign shop. I have an unreliable notching tool that I use, see pic. I need to make a better one,... it used to be able to notch a stack of ribs straight and square. This thing is a mess. You will note NS-1 has a deep notch on its bottom...be sure that deep notch is on the money, for it slides onto the main wing spar, If those notches are sketch you will be playing the devil's fiddle to the dreary end. That notch keys on N-4. As an afterthought, I chose the hardest 1/16 sheet I had in the house and stripped my sticks and made NS-1's from it. These nacelles are the power-houses of this model and I won't be weighing them! They will be two light-weight brick $#it-houses!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:10:54 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2016, 11:40:51 AM »

My building sessions are getting to be more about using a mag board as they are building a certain subject...After stripping some stick from the same hard sheet, I rolled them several times to induce a curve...being careful not to flatten too much them in the process. I then split some magnet and followed the top curve of the nacelle, lay in the strip and snugged the whole thing in tight...I double glue everything with Duco...I am looking around for a tube of 527. Duco is getting scarce in the stores...I know I can get it on-line but that is no fun for me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:31:16 PM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2016, 02:37:38 PM »

Ace Hardware has Duco

a.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2016, 05:59:22 PM »

527 is found at Michaels store.
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:10 PM »

527 is also in the Wal Mart crafts section.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 04:12:18 AM »

OK, I get it. "Go to all the obvious places" too bad I already thought of those. Roll Eyes There is a hole in the wall hobby shop here in Melbourne called Ernie's. Its a waaay back place with stuff only a human relic could relate to. But his prices in there are certainly up to date! I might bite the big one and pay him, now that I am beyond-principles with him. At least he's close to the Heart-Center! Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
Ki44LvR
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 08:44:52 AM »

Hi Crabby, glad that the operation went well and thanks for the update. Glad you are back at the workbench too. The Chieftain is coming along - looks like a lot of work but I bet it will look lovely in the air. Have to say I admire modelers that take on twins- I have enough problems just building a single! Perhaps one day I'll try one as I've always wanted a mossie!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2016, 09:48:36 AM »

Hi Jeremy,
I will share a secret with you. I feel great kind of like an unclogged drain. I am milking this "convalescence" so I can get caught up with my Navajo and some Twilight Zone episodes. Here is where I stand with the Piper. I stopped on the wing and built the nacelles so I could be sure of the rib location. Other than that its just measure and cut, on and on. I found a couple tubes of Duco in Melbourne. A nice thing about this plane other than when its finished, is there are tons of good color references on the web and at the airports. I have sworn off tissue printing for the time being. This thing is gonna be all hands, fingers and thumbs. The pics tell the story. I hate stick-boxes but you have to appreciate the design once you weigh in.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 10:12:49 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2016, 09:52:16 AM »

For the test fit I pulled the "three fuses" off the board and arranged 'em on the wing to effect a similarity of a Chieftain, not too bad. I found out I was all out of carving block so I ordered a 3 x 3 x 12 from an Amazon link... and got it in 2 days. So I will now focus on the nacelles, props and spinners. I am thinking about how to adapt my typical hidden free-wheeler for a three bladed prop. The spinners may be too narrow for that and I may do the brass tube affair all the way through...stay tuned. Never having done a twin I chose this one because it looked simple. Simple is one thing, easy is quite the other.

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2016, 12:23:55 PM »

here is what the rear of the nacelles should look like

The Threadkiller!
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2016, 01:04:26 PM »

I like this one.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2016, 11:06:37 AM »

There is a void in the plan concerning this area. There will be some light fiddling about coming up.

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2016, 09:57:40 AM »

Ok I am back to minding my own business, and working on the Navajo...I got tired of avoiding planes with spinners, and bought a new-old time drill press, and a new old-time table saw here in Palm Bay where the funeral and garage sale is the thing to do. So I am here spinning up a few spinners for the Navajo, the Heinkel, the Spitfire, and my Peck Mustang. I regret that I am a creature of spasm, and build in convulsions! I can see the end of the tunnel here though. I want to fly this thing at King Orange.

The Threadkiller!
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2016, 10:29:05 AM »

Crabby you will love your drill press and will make up spinners by the baskets just for fun. However, I have found that hard-backed sanding sticks can, on many occasions, give you an oval shaped spinner as opposed to a nice round one. It does not happen all the time but seems to be dependent on the spot wood density and once it starts that hard-back sander quickly makes it worse with no remedy. It also may have something to do with the speed the work is run at. In my experience and as COUNTER-intuitive as it seems, a folded piece of sandpaper always does the job perfectly. I go 60# to 100# to 220# grit. Good luck in any case.

I was around when Dick Howard first brought out his Navajo to fly and in spite of it looking like a station wagon with wings (actually the real one was!), it was a terrific flyer. I think you will really enjoy it at the field.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2016, 01:20:47 AM »

Tom yep you got that one right! The first one came out really well the second on was a flop!

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2016, 09:54:21 AM »

Tom, that was great advice. All is well now. I have always had spotty results with turned spinners, and never thought that it could be the sanding implement. Yeah, I go from course to fine and get a pretty good finish.

The Threadkiller!
Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2016, 03:07:44 PM »

I've had the same thing happen and actually gave up trying to turn a spinner!  I'm going to give the sanding paper method a try and hopefully get baqck to turning them, thanks for the tip. Smiley

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: