Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 15, 2019, 01:38:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dick Howard Piper Navajo Chieftain  (Read 6070 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2016, 03:31:46 PM »

I have an urge to do a multi and this thing has been bugging me for a long time...so I put the Spirit of St. Louis on hold since I don't relish the idea of building that engine especially. This thing is more or less two peanuts on a 24 in wing...at least that's the way I am approaching it...anybody feel free to chime in as I go... sorry I refer to my planes as "things". That's what they are. I am just laying the sticks in, I used my patented longeron roller method here to get that curve without incurring any stress. I also split my mag tape to hold all that in place. This is a great way to do fuse sides and make 'em identical...mean time saving my back because I work standing up. I like my magnet board a hell of a lot.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Dick Howard Piper Navajo Chieftain

The Threadkiller!
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 12:37:11 AM »

I'm interested in seeing your progress on this.  The engine nacelles are surprisingly long so no problems with short motor runs.  I don't recall seeing this wing design before, a cracked rib with an added balsa curve to the leading edge upper surface.  Kinda cool.

Marlin
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 10:43:05 AM »

Hi Marlin, thanks for stopping in...I am a cracked rib fan, I don't even have a good reason other than liking the way it looks...but there are some good reasons for it...

The Threadkiller!
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Kudos: 16

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 01:18:29 PM »

Hi Crabby, this one has been on my "to do" list for quite a while too. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out and flies.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »

OK Tim stick around and we'll see how the toast burns!

The Threadkiller!
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 12:38:49 PM »

I will gladly watch also. Hope you are very happy with the results. Good design and an accomplished model designer. Thanks for sharing.
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 11:26:11 PM »

Hi Crabby, is there a write up on here somewhere describing your building board?  Intrigued by your magnetic spliney-looking things.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 07:28:35 PM »

Flew & taught "real" Navajos for 6 years at Flight Safety-Lakeland.  I regard it as sort of an old friend.  Ferried one to Riverside, CA, & had the gear collapse on one at Key West, FL.  Great plane.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 09:07:11 PM »

Hi Strato, Fly Dean & Fly Ace thanks guys for dropping in! Fly Ace this thing has been haunting me for years and now that I seem to have gotten over the "builders wall" I am going for the builds that I want to do...I don't have the time to do the stuff I don't want to do. I have long been a Dick Howard fan, and Strato, my building board was discussed ad-nauseum in my Dave Mitchell Hell Diver build, but as I go through this build, currently stalled due to life obligations, I will include the benefits and virtues as I go...Fly Dean, I saw a few of these things last week at the Tico Air Show, sitting there being pretty...I got really pumped to do the Howard model, and plan to use my Old buddy the Duco Guru's spinner prop concoction to the best of my ability... hang in fellas I am going to set up a fuse jig and get back on the horse as they say!

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 04:29:39 PM »

OK meanwhile back at the bench....I am aware of an issue, check the cross-section from stations #4-8 if you don't have the plan you can download it here in the builders plan gallery. The sides are flat up to the windows then they bevel in a few degrees. I built the sides flat but there is a joint at that point so I made a jig inside a jig. I used 90 degree aluminum angle with a magnet shim down at the base. Now I can crack the joint before I put the cross-members in. Of course before I start glueing stuff together I have to roll the fuse sides to get a nice curve without incurring a stressed-out banana situation. Most guys reading this are bored because they are already black-belt ninja balsa butchers... if this is you please chime in!
If not, here is how I do things till instructed otherwise... Oh and Strato, one of the things I love about a magnetic building board....no &^%$#ing pins!
Re: Dick Howard Piper Navajo Chieftain
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:41:16 PM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 06:39:24 PM »

Hi Crabby.  Watching this build with a lot of interest.  Question....how are the angle iron pieces held to the table?

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 07:58:08 PM »

Glenn its a vertical building board not a table...those angle aluminum members are held on with adhesive backed magnetic tape. I build standing up mostly to save on Advil  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 08:09:31 PM »

I knew that it was a vertical board, that's why I thought it odd that they didn't fall off! LOL  Magnets on the bottom make sense.....Thanks Crabby. Grin

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
Broken Strands
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 02:46:29 AM »

R, it's been a while, hope all is well!  I'll be following with interest too.

Got some info you might find useful.  For a few years we had a Grand Canyon tour operator based here at VGT.  Their fleet consisted mostly of standard, piston-powered Chieftains but they also had one turboprop version of the same plane.  I'd always thought the turbine engine version had longer engine nacelles but wasn't sure, the difference isn't obvious.  One day curiosity got the better of me so I got out the measuring tape.  The engine nacelles on the piston version are (surprisingly)two inches longer!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 09:32:46 AM »

Hello Broken Strands thanks for the pointer, I will think about that when I go to build the nacelles I was thinking about cheating anyway, but now I won't have to! Glenn I know you knew about my vert board I just wanted to take the opportunity to point that fact out to others. So many guys cut their building time because of neck strain. Of coarse you can make a board like mine without it being magnetic. I just hate pins after so many ass chewings by my Olde Man about pin holes in the work, plus mag tape assures me everything's gonna be straight and true, and I won't be paying Peter with Paul's dividends further down the pike!

The Threadkiller!
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 06:12:24 PM »

What is the length  of the fuselage when the article in the magazine shows the wingspan to be 27 inches. Just curious.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 09:28:46 AM »

its 21.75, but my plan was scanned and reprinted from the magazine, and things are a little whack and I am having to correct as I go, or there may have been a mistake or two in the original dwg...not as likely...I would like to see that article as I don't have the mag anymore could you possibly post it or PM me? It would be much appreciated...Now some more pics...because of the way I did the sides I had to jig the thing upside down...I have a nice balsa stripper and after cutting a sheet of 1/16 the right width, I just stripped all those cross members...getting the glue to 'em was a pain but I did it without breaking anything...yet

The Threadkiller!
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 01:40:40 PM »

When I get to the point of joining the sides for the fuselage I will use a jig designed and built by Al Cleave. Stay tuned for photos but don't hold your breath. I think my Dick Howard designed F7F Tigercat will be first one up as it was recommended as a very good project.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 09:25:51 AM »

I am gonna roll the sides lightly to induce a slight curve before I join the sides at the tail posts.

The Threadkiller!
Tyrannt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 02:35:19 PM »

Hi Crabby. Great build. What are you going to roll the fuselage with.  I have seen you use this method with great results.
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 03:52:28 PM »

Plan can be found here: Piper Navaho Chieftain Just for those who might be looking for it.
This is a great looking build. I'm enjoying following it. 
Sky9pilot

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 04:19:08 PM »

Hi Tyrant, you can roll with any cylinder, I use a fat Xacto handle...but I regret to say care must be utilized to be sure one doesn't flatten the framework as I do from time to time. Go easy and select good hard stick!

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 09:23:49 AM »

Tyrant you can't roll with ANY cylinder...use something like a .75-1.0 wooden dowel...For those who might attempt this build....resign to the fact that its a tedious toothpick trial. I lost interest and motivation somewhere during the fuse...
then I found out that I had neglected to double check the "footprint" for symmetry.... (as you will see this plan was stitched together about station #11.) no excuses.. I built a &^k%$#ing banana fuse! So, I had to resist the two hand crumble. I have matured some. I ripped off the framing past station #8, quit and came back the next day. Please redraw that footprint if you are gonna try this thing, and by all means strip your 1/16 from the same sheet. It all needs to be the same density. I carelessly chose 1/16 stick from my half-assed collection, and now it all different widths and densities, so now I am "paying Peter" for the rest of the build and will now probably have to fix-fudge the wing saddle! I thought as a builder I was waaay past this sophmore s$%%#@t! Ego be damned! nose to the grindstone! No whining! and a lesson learned for the umpteenth time! Monkeys learn faster! I'm Crabby
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:43:03 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 10:16:34 AM »

OK back to zero-zero... somewhat straight and square, but reminded to always maintain awareness and to apply the utmost respect for balsawood!

The Threadkiller!
Modelace
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 12:30:43 PM »

Tyrant you can't roll with ANY cylinder...use something like a .75-1.0 wooden dowel...For those who might attempt this build....resign to the fact that its a tedious toothpick trial. I lost interest and motivation somewhere during the fuse...
then I found out that I had neglected to double check the "footprint" for symmetry.... (as you will see this plan was stitched together about station #11.) no excuses.. I built a &^k%$#ing banana fuse! So, I had to resist the two hand crumble. I have matured some. I ripped off the framing past station #8, quit and came back the next day. Please redraw that footprint if you are gonna try this thing, and by all means strip your 1/16 from the same sheet. It all needs to be the same density. I carelessly chose 1/16 stick from my half-assed collection, and now it all different widths and densities, so now I am "paying Peter" for the rest of the build and will now probably have to fix-fudge the wing saddle! I thought as a builder I was waaay past this sophmore s$%%#@t! Ego be damned! nose to the grindstone! No whining! and a lesson learned for the umpteenth time! Monkeys learn faster! I'm Crabby

Tsk, Tsk. Such anger for a (more or less) common mistake. Shocked If you don't have one, buy a caliper (Cheap at Harbor Freight) and measure those sticks before you glue. Also, hang them off the edge of a table (with only 1/2" of the sticks held to the table edge). USE THE ONES THAT SAG THE SAME!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: