Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2022, 01:09:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Me 410  (Read 6670 times)
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2022, 07:35:37 PM »

Outstanding Don...usual high skill in build and printing tissue and then applying it without a wrinkle.  I'm envious!!
Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 103

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2022, 09:58:11 PM »

Outstanding work as usual Don, I'm glad you got back to it!
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2022, 02:00:54 PM »

Don, that was my holdup, and pretty much my own solution, too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074FS2W7D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Greg

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 69

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2022, 03:20:08 PM »

Thank you Dave and Tom.

Hi Greg,

That is the same vac form I'm using.  It's too small to do the whole canopy, so I had to do it in two parts.  As mentioned, the rear of the canopy was the most difficult to form, but using .020" thick material worked a charm.  I've posted these pics before, but this is the two part buck I've used for the canopy.  And .010" thick material was just a little too thin; .020" was perfect.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Me 410
Re: Me 410
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2022, 03:23:24 PM »

Yep; I bought a big roll of .020", to be cut as required. I figure a 4" for sure size max, and some stretch in that envelope, a smidge. I like the way you've managed with the two segments; this gives me hope for some parts, etc., that I envision with some of the plans I've been printing out. I have some US Navy designs that have lot of yardage in their canopies. I get some hints from your work that should put me in good stead for my intentions.

I'm in the midst of a big switcheroo, from one hobby (Rifle Marksmanship), back to my flying models. There's a corner of the Garage/Workshop that is earmarked for my modelling bench, with a goodly stack of lumber and lighting, etc., to be incorporated in the build. My health and the desert heat make me hold off on that until Autumn, and then a flurry of work to get it done. Living here in SE Arizona, Spring and Autumn go by like blink of the eye.

As far as rifles go, I'm passing everything down to my Grandson. Between my heart and lung issues, I lack the stamina for the match work; and I figure I know when to make a graceful exit.

The better part of the tradeoff is that by scratch building, I'm only spending a fraction of what my shooting hobby has been costing me over the past decades, and I'm not lifting and holding steady mechanical implements that get to be well over ten pounds over the better part of an hour at a clip. My last serious match was Southwest Long Range Nationals in Phoenix back in 2017. Nuff's enough.

Looking at what my building stash and gear has cost me, I'm literally astounded at what actual kits cost these days. But I figure the costs drive the prices and nobody's getting rich off this hobby.

Just like when I worked at making wine for Constellation, on the industrial scale. Industrial scale is the only thing that can support the necessaries for wine making; and being honest, Flying Models can only be made in a similar manner and break even. Not much of that happening these days. That would require a scale of consolidation that is probably unlikely these days. Besides, it's more fun doing it from scratch.

But one can still dream...

Greg

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: