Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 12, 2019, 05:24:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1/16th Bristol Bulldog  (Read 4669 times)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2016, 02:24:41 PM »

OK, after years of indecision, I've finally decided to take the leap into the BMFA Open Classes for next year's Indoor Nats. I will say now that this will be a long drawn out build thread! At the moment, I'm still putting documentation together for this, but if I post it now, it stops me chickening out!

I will be using Dave Causer's plan as a basis, scaled up to 1/16th. This works out at 25 3/8" span, which gives me a fighting chance of a reasonable wing loading. The bulldog has a decent wing area, sensibly sized tail surfaces and plenty of dihedral. The only nasty bits are the bi-convex section and the fully exposed radial. I'm going to flatten the wing section out, as I'd rather have a slower flight speed than a few static marks, but there is no getting round that radial.

I've got to do a few other bits and pieces before starting this, but I'm committed now...

Cheers,

Dan.
daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 03:32:26 PM »

The good thing about indecision is that it saves you from making decisions.......

However, well done Dan - a great choice of prototype. A build I shall watch with much interest.

Dave
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 03:45:48 PM »

Like I said; this will take a while! At the moment, I have the Causer plan, the '59 AM with article and 3 view, the Scale Models with same 3 view but a couple more pics and some more stuff on the way from eBay! This will be GM300 powered. I think CO2 is at a disadvantage compared to the electric stuff that can sit on the floor and start up by themselves, but this is something I WANT to build.

Thanks for the interest,

Dan.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 05:06:22 PM »

Look forward to it Dan  Smiley

Started drawing one up myself at one point ... can imagine Dave Causer's plan is a good one tthough.
Must take a look.
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 04:25:32 AM »

Dan

Couple of things which might make it easier for you because you have picked a really complicated aircraft with all its external details.
There were a few aircraft which had full cowlings so the exposed engine then only needs the cylinders doing and not the heads, valvegear and fairings.
There was a high altitude version with an extended wingspan.
Alf Granger did a superb Data Plan dated 1973 with many drawings and B&W photographs ISBN 0 903456 02 X

John
Bryanair
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Bryan Lea

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 05:14:32 AM »

I have the Alf Granger Data Plan book if you want to make me an offer for it Dan.

Bryan
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 06:27:26 AM »

Currently watching on eBay!

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 05:49:32 PM »

I think I now have most of the documentation required. Half of me thinks "Great!" The other half thinks "What am I doing??!!" I could happily build Kit Scale models forever and there is no shame in that, but I want to have a try at a "Serious" scale model; if a toy aeroplane can ever be classed as serious! Some of the builds on here, and Mike Stuart's excellent ffscale site, are just awe inspiring and I wish I could approach that kind of level. You don't know until you try, as the phrase has it!

The plan will be enlarged to my intended size this weekend, so I can at least start making laminated outlines etc. whilst I finish the stuff on the board at the moment. The original plan just has ribs sliced from sheet, but I think I'm going to crib the Czech method and make a mould to the shape of the section then laminate two pieces of sheet before slicing the ribs off. That gives a much better grain direction in the finished rib.

Jumping the gun a bit, I would have liked to have done black anti-glare panels, as per the Profile drawings, but every other source says they are green... Damn!

Cheers,

Dan.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 06:41:29 PM »

Dan,
       This sounds a great if complicated build. I have a copy of the Granger monograph as well. I will follow with interest. I use the laminated rib method for the same reasons on hangar rat an peanut models. My experience with sliced ribs was one of frustration as they were somewhat fragile. I think you will find the anti glare panels were a very dark green almost black! Like the German black green of WW2.
Ricky
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 06:53:17 PM »

Dan, did you see Robert Pajas' Bulldog at the 2010 Nats? ... it's on Mike's site if you didn't.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 04:22:15 AM »

I remember it, Russ! 9 cylinder Gasparin!!

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 07:47:24 PM »

Some more bits of documentation turned up in the post this week. Sadly, none of them seem to agree with each other! Mostly just minor stuff, like colour, but one has a wingspan difference of 2 inches. Ah well, I will build to the consensus and tactfully not include the other stuff! I may be completely out of my depth, but I'm really looking forward to doing this...

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 07:50:27 PM »

I've made a start! I've only got as far as laminating the tail surface outlines, but every little helps... Dave Causer's original plan has the forward fuselage covered with aluminium foil. I assume this is kitchen type stuff. Anyone done this? I would imagine a LOT of grain filling would need to be done before application. Maybe Humbrol MetalKote would be a better option. It's a while before I get to that point, but I'm trying to think ahead...

Cheers,

Dan.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 08:10:17 PM »

Dan, for a man of your parts and capabilities the way to go could be to vac form those sections in either 10 thou styrene or even better in the thin plastic you can buy for presentation covers, which renders really thin lightweight high definition parts.  You could glue these panels over the built up structure with RC56 or have no structure underneath as the vac forms are self supporting.  Spray with Alclad in the metal of your choice.  That's how I'd do it.  Ditto the engine cowling parts.  I tried using aly foil once - not great.  doesn't like compound curves, wrinkles, rips, generally wrecks your life.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 08:35:33 PM »

Thanks for that! It will be a long time before I get to that point, but nice to know I have options. Thank you for the interest and back when there is some progress to report. Don't hold yer breath!

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 04:04:43 PM »

I think my approach to this will be build one part at a time and finish it completely before starting another bit. Hopefully, this will SEEM a lot less work than building it all, covering it all etc. I've made a start at last and the fin/rudder are mostly built. Scale thickness is around 1/8th, so I built the outline and basic frame 1/16th thick, which then had 1/32" cap strips added on each side. These were then blended into the outline, which will hopefully give a much more "scale" effect than a 1/8th thick frame. It does mean nearly 70 separate parts in the fin/rudder alone, though! All good fun...

Cheers,

Dan.

danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »

Completed fin/rudder. Still needs a final sanding, but I'm quite pleased with it so far. I'm sure this will never be competitive against the big boys, but that's not the point. I'm already enjoying this!

Cheers,

Dan.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1/16th Bristol Bulldog
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 04:49:28 PM »

Why won't that be competitive?!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 05:14:42 PM »

Because I think I lack the attention span to make it so! I will do it to the best of my abilities, but I have a lot to learn...

Cheers,

Dan.
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 01:02:37 PM »

Superb and challenging choice Dan, and you certainly have the skills to pull it off.

Dave's plan is a great very accurate starting point. I have his Hawker Woodcock plan: not easy builds, but the results are well worth it.

Based on the wing area ( i make it 1113cm2) you could go to an all up weight approaching Mike Stuarts Fox Moth (around 90 something grams i believe), and the loading would stiil be very good for indoor.

Just don't do a More/Bader manoevre!
ATB
Graham
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »

Cheers Graham!

I've also got the Woodcock plan, but the Bulldog just pipped it. I suspect it may take me a while, though...

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 09:48:41 AM »

All tailplane outlines now laminated. Hopefully, I can get the basic structure done before going back to work tomorrow night. As for the rudder; this will be a 1/16th thick basic structure with 1/32 capping added either side. I'm very impressed with how torsionally stiff this type of structure turns out. No doubt I can still induce massive warps, though...!

Cheers,

Dan.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 03:44:59 AM »

Morning Dan

Not sure if you managed to get hold of the Granger plan book?  I've got a copy you can have if you pm me your address.

Cheers
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 11:37:05 AM »

Basic "core" of the tailplane together. This will be sanded to a uniform thickness before adding the 1/32" capping.

Cheers,

Dan
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 10:25:31 AM »

After going mad and blind looking at Bulldog pics, it appears that the elevators fit into partial shrouding of the leading edge where they are hinged to the tailplane. The aerodynamic balances appear to be more or less flat, whilst the tailplane tapers down to the tips. Good photos will prove this for the documentation. The publishers of Aeromodeller do a CD of the Hendon Bulldog; I think it may be worth a purchase...

Cheers,

Dan.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: