Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 08, 2019, 10:29:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Diesel after-run technique  (Read 1734 times)
Fourfingers
Silver Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 09:25:42 AM »

Thanks Jez, now we are getting somewhere...
No, I havent used fridge oil ... Yet.  Always a first time though.  Gun oil or bore cleaner has been in the cupboard too.  The latter dissolves products of combustion aka tombac (?), which might be good- or it might be corrosive!
Think Ill just stick to ATF, until I hear of dissolving auto gearboxes.
Cheers
4f
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 05:50:58 AM »

Thanks Jez, now we are getting somewhere...
No, I havent used fridge oil ... Yet.  Always a first time though.  Gun oil or bore cleaner has been in the cupboard too.  The latter dissolves products of combustion aka tombac (?), which might be good- or it might be corrosive!
Think Ill just stick to ATF, until I hear of dissolving auto gearboxes.
Cheers
4f

Hi again Fourfingers.  Sticking to ATF sounds like a good plan.  Smiley

Interesting to learn about 'bore cleaner' and 'tombac'.  Presumably 'bore cleaner' must be corrosive towards 'tombac', but not towards steel, or otherwise shooters would be damaging their guns, rather than just cleaning their bores?  Never heard of anybody using this in aeromodelling circles, for either cleaning, or lubricating, engines.  If there is somebody out there using this stuff on their engines, then presumably they have first checked that it's OK on the (aluminium?) alloys used in crankcase castings and the chrome/nickel used in ABC/AAC/ABN liner/piston setups. Grin

Cheers again,

Jez Wilkins     
Fourfingers
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 07:37:03 AM »

Jez, ah yes .... A little knowledge can be dangerous, as they say!
I did use Bisley bore cleaner for about a year on an ASP 15, with no apparent ill effects.  I think that was ABC.  Must admit I would oil it well straight after with ATF.
I moved it on a few months ago and it was a cracker then ... Havent heard otherwise yet from the buyer....
The fact these things run at all after our abuses is remarkable.
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 05:33:36 AM »

Jez, ah yes .... A little knowledge can be dangerous, as they say!
I did use Bisley bore cleaner for about a year on an ASP 15, with no apparent ill effects.  I think that was ABC.  Must admit I would oil it well straight after with ATF.
I moved it on a few months ago and it was a cracker then ... Havent heard otherwise yet from the buyer....
The fact these things run at all after our abuses is remarkable.

You're not wrong about the 'little knowledge' thing.  Smiley

An ASP 15 would have an ABC piston/liner setup. 

Seem to remember reading somewhere that, in order to run at all, model aircraft engines have to be manufactured to even finer tolerances than full sized I.C. engines - which makes your last sentence maybe even more remarkable than it already was.  Smiley

Cheers again,

Jez Wilkins   
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 06:26:02 AM »

Gun oil used to be one of the favoured lubricants for CO2 motors as it was said to  withstand better the freezing CO2. The downside was that it would make the plastic props brittle, something to watch out for if your engine has any plastic parts.
Fourfingers
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 06:59:13 AM »

Aha ... Thanks TeePee.  My props never last long enough to get brittle!
But my MVVS - among others? - does have a plassy backplate.

Off topic (why not?), they say Merc has developed an all-plastic car engine.  No maintenance, just replace at 100,0000km. 
Cant be introduced because of social effects.  All those white coated engineers out pf a job.
Or is this just another internet myth?
Anyone?
3f
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: