Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 24, 2019, 05:30:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Glue  (Read 1114 times)
Skip
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2017, 05:42:48 PM »

Best glue to use on catapult gliders?
Thanks
Skip
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:04:56 AM »

I use CA for wing/ fin/stab assembly to fuse and build up a laminated spruce/balsa fuse using a good quality PVA. This has been used successfully on my 12" CLG's over a number of years. I often run  very small fillet of 30min epoxy along the wing/fuse join and on top of the poly joints. It's only a thin wipe on the wing.
I have used the same approach on HLG's up to 21" WS.
My 12" CLG's weigh 7.5-8gms. before trim weights - no DT.

John
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »

Mark Drela made a solid wood winged, one meter DLG where the wing halves were joined with double glued Titebond. No other reinforcement was used. Eventually it broke, but not where the glue was. So, if you're a really precise builder, this might be a good, very light way to join wing halves.

As I recall, he told me he put a little Titebond, thinned with water, on the root of the wings. Several minutes later, he put it on full strength and joined the halves.

It's been a while, but I think I'm usually in a hurry and use CA, which is detestable. If you want to be able to take the tail apart, use a tight fitting joint and Duco or Ambroid, etc. Then you can get the pieces off with acetone. I'm told that if you make up your wings out of several pieces, Ambroid sands well and doesn't leave a ridge. Worked for me. I presume Duco would also work, haven't tried it.
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 10:51:01 AM »

You should have asked which was the best design.
-John-
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 11:23:14 PM »

You should have asked which was the best design.
Vartanian!
DCLinkIII
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 02:54:11 PM »

I've discovered DAP Rapid Fuse Fast Curing Wood Adhesive. Has a red cap on the bottle.
Found it at Walmart. It's a slower curing CA type glue that isn't brittle like normal CA and is somewhat repositionable.
Hit it with kicker and the bond is permanent.
I've used it on balsa and foam sheet.
With the foam sheet, I applied kicker to both pieces before gluing.  Glue did not attack the foam and gave me a good joint.
I like it a lot.

Don Link
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: