Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 03:43:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brilliant film about Control line flying!  (Read 1100 times)
justwannafly
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2016, 07:45:56 AM »

Just watched an amazing film about control line flying on Youtube which looks to have been made in the 70's
Its indulgent, romantic and beautifully filmed! Enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ0OChpLtbg
flyinryans
Bronze Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 08:52:13 AM »

That was an awesome film!
justwannafly
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 12:40:59 PM »

Glad you liked it!! There's another on scale flying which was really cool. Same narrator too.
There's all disciplines in this, not just CL which was great to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t0O9fkokao
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »

Fascinating. I liked the chap barely hanging on to the CL DC6 (?) with no visible wrist strap and the crowd feet away. And the Staaken, and the HP42.
I was at the Woodvale World Champs and clearly remember the Lancaster. Everything was shaking and rattling on that first flight. The following evening we were right down the far end of the runway, flying the FF events. Quite a few proxy entries from the US.  In the distance we saw the Lanc approaching, followed by a van (not the pair of Morgans in the film) with men hanging out the windows, weilding transmitters and looking like a Keystone Cops film. Any attempt at turning the thing were met with a steep sideslip. As it got to us, it had to turn, or end up in Bootle, and I never saw Eric Coates move so fast for his camera.  It did succeed in turning, sliding to ten feet of the ground, and the van screeched round, following it back whence it came. Happy days.
old4570

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 09:51:59 PM »

Merchants of zip (?)   Grin
LOUCRANE
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 04:44:51 PM »

At least Wired for Excitement was available from AMA for several years. Not sure what medium; possibly 16mm sound reel to reel...

I've seen it since on internet.

Time? early 1970's. The first stunter and  flier carrying it to the circle:- Les McDonald with one of his Stilettos. Looks like the later, ST .46 larger one. Puts it at about 1974-75. Les won  Stunt at the AMA Nationals at least once, and may (IFIR) have won the FAI F2B title at least once.

Excellent film!

/LOU
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 278

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 06:23:47 PM »

Thank You, I have never seen a better aeromodelling film AND for once a sensible commentater.
John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 08:49:15 PM »

Cool movie. Of course it's watchable because they delete the engine noise. The one part that really bugs me about control line flying.  Of course others love it, but not for me.  I remember flying Free Flight at Mile Square Park in the Los Angeles area back in the 90's. One part of the area was for CL and every time somebody was flying it made me want to get far away. The planes are cool though!

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
TheDope
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 04:44:55 AM »

Mostly freeflight rather than control line but have you seen this silent colour video of the 1939 Junior National Air Races in Akron, Ohio? The imagery is straight out of Harold Steven's amazing artwork. It really brings it to life.
old4570

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 05:20:31 AM »

Cool movie. Of course it's watchable because they delete the engine noise. The one part that really bugs me about control line flying.  Of course others love it, but not for me.  I remember flying Free Flight at Mile Square Park in the Los Angeles area back in the 90's. One part of the area was for CL and every time somebody was flying it made me want to get far away. The planes are cool though!

Mile Square Park ....
Went there a few times to watch the RC Guys ...  ( Long time ago )
Orange County ( ? )
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 07:56:19 AM »

Mile Square Park ....
Went there a few times to watch the RC Guys ...  ( Long time ago )
Orange County ( ? )

Heck, I've got you all beat.. my dad and I flew Freeflight at Mile Square back when we had to wait for the Navy guys come and un-lock the gate.

Course' that was back when you could buy a car for a nickle (back then we called nickles "bees", and we'd say "give me 5 bees for a quarter"). And after a while, we'd head over to Shelbyville. we would wear an onion on our belt, cause' that was the fashion back then....

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 09:25:13 AM »

Mile Square Park ....
Went there a few times to watch the RC Guys ...  ( Long time ago )
Orange County ( ? )

Yes, it's in Fountain Valley. Turned into a golf course in 1999.

Derek
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 10:53:57 AM »

Mile Square Park ....
Went there a few times to watch the RC Guys ...  ( Long time ago )
Orange County ( ? )

Yes, it's in Fountain Valley. Turned into a golf course in 1999.
\
As I understand it, Mile Square was used to train Carrier Pilots in WWII.

Here is a link with a history of it:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/Airfields_CA_OrangeCo_C.htm

Scroll about 1/2 way down the page for Mile Square.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 11:08:05 AM »

Yes, it was a triangle runway.  Nice layout for  aeromodeling. RC  was on one side, free flight on the other, the third leg had an RC car track. The control line circles were  at one end of the free flight runway.  I remember one Saturday morning where  all three disciplines  were being flown along with a scout group launching model rockets. Lots of happy people running around on that day.

Derek
old4570

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 09:40:30 PM »

I remember the RC guys tended to fly over the golf course , upsetting the golfers ....
So I guess the golfers won in the end ... 
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »

When dealing with municipalities it is a sure bet to follow the money. As the golfers paid more in fees than the modelers the golden rule prevails. As the golden rule stated; he with the most gold make the rules. So the concerns of the golfers carried much more weight than those of the modelers with the powers that be. There is bit more to it than this, but not much more.

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
bigrip74
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 05:58:32 PM »

Great film, thanks for sharing. Just need to find a CL club or field here in Austin, Texas. Have not seen one yet.

If it aint broke dont fix it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: