Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 20, 2020, 03:58:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Golberg Interceptor  (Read 456 times)
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2016, 09:49:43 PM »

i'm going to build a Goldberg Interceptor for Electric. Not sure if I will build the 'B' (48 inch wing) or the 'A' (42 inch wing) version.

I've always liked this airplane and thought it highly underrated.

I've built the .020 version many years ago and it flew quite well.

Obviously, I'm building it for fun, as there is no event for it (though I could fly it in AMA Electric 'A')

Any advice on building or flying it?

TIA

SD

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 12:10:08 AM »

I've built two of the class B versions over the years as well as the .020 version and all great fliers.  Just build it to the plan and it will be okay.

First one in 1977 had an O&R 23 in it, flew well but was heavy with all the spark stuff in it like batteries etc so was not much of a glider.
Ended up putting a green head K&B 15 into it and it went really well.  DTd onto a barb wire fence and that was the end of that one.

#2 was built about 20 years ago and I used a Gordon Burford DEEZIL 2cc in it and it was a fantastic flyer.    Both DEEZIL and INTERCEPTOR were sold recently.

.020 version from Model Builder magazine was built in 1979? when we tried to get .020 replica going here, but it never took off, so I flew it for fun for a few years and sold it to a guy 3 or 4 years ago.
His huge dog never liked it and ate it......True story, it is no more.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Golberg Interceptor
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 12:16:46 AM »

Just found another pic with the DEEZIL.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Golberg Interceptor
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 12:42:05 AM »

You might try making the rudder a little larger,but it is a good model should be fun as an electric.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 01:51:06 AM »

I have a sub 4-Oz 020 version-and its the hairiest 020 I've ever flown-real knife edge trim and far too exciting to fly in comfort. Mine is from the plan with the sliced laminated ribs-not the Model Builder one which IIRC was Jerry Murphy's (no relation BTW).  I have always had severe reservations about the fin area on this design-IMO it is inadequate.  That being said-a larger one-preferably with a diesel up front as Gossie suggests-turning a big diameter prop with plenty of slipstream might well prove less of a handful to trim and fly....

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 01:52:45 AM »

You might try making the rudder a little larger,but it is a good model should be fun as an electric.

Have read that in the past, but had no stability problems whatsoever on the ones I built.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 04:26:02 AM »

I've had the old brain working here during the cocktail hour............I built about 1/32in. tow in on both stabilizer under fins, and that probably helped direction stability under climb.

If you don't wish to cheat making the main fin larger you could perhaps make it out of 3/16th or even 1/4 balsa instead of 1/8th as per the plan........Just food for thought.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »

Yes, the .020 version (mine was built from the MB plans) was a hot airplane, but I didn't have all that much trouble with it.

It always amazes me the size of the engines the guys would put on these airplanes. It just seems like a 23 is huge for a 48 inch airplane.

i have a E-Flite Park 370 1080Kv that's looking for a home. It won't have vertical performance, but it might be fun.

I'm thinking since it's a pylon model, the flight pattern should be right/right.

Starduster
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 06:05:56 PM »

The question of what size has been answered. I just received the short kit from Bob Holman. The airplane was done in CAD by Jim O'Reilly, and he kind of did a mid-size version. This one is 44 inch wing. Jim also takes liberties with the wing construction. The original has two bottom spars that overlap at the diehdral joints. Jim's design has four 1\8 square spars, two top and two bottom. Jim's design is much better, but I'm not sure if push came to shove if it would be SAM legal. Doesn't really matter to me, as I'm building it for fun.

I'm going to start a build thread over in the Electrics section.

Good news is that I think the Park 370 might fly this 44 inch version pretty well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: