Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2019, 07:05:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Flying Aces Sky Gull  (Read 5922 times)
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 40

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 07:04:29 PM »

Yes, I really like polyspan (lite in this case), you can work with it and so it's not difficult to get a perfect a perfect covering job.

I also noticed the really huge fin early on, it's just half the stab, as is the case for some other oldtimers, as you note. Curious as well to see how it flies, let's see how the weather is this winter!
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »

OK, got the wing covered, photo's attached. Came out fairly nice. I originally had a small wrinkle in one of the wingtips that was driving me nuts, decided that I didn't want to have to live with it, so I ripped off the mylar and did it again, nothing wrong with doing things over if you're not happy with them, came out near perfect on the second try! On to painting; fuse/stab/rudder came out really nice with the paint, it's very transparent, so I just have to not screw up the wing and we're just about there.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Flying Aces Sky Gull
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 06:14:47 PM »

That's a very convincing plug for mylar covering FG. I would be pleased to get close I think.

John
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 277

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »

Yes, John (Ozpaf) I was going to say that his building gets better and better, it must be the number of models he builds. Then I thought about it a bit and I realized his building wasn't getting any better at all - it has been that consistent high standard ever since he started delighting us with both his building and flying activities.
Hepcat (John)

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 08:14:39 PM »

Thank you both, it's nice to share the building and flying, and good to know that others enjoy it as well! I really like using mylar for the flying surfaces, no doping and it's pretty tough, I used a 1/2 mil on my P30 wing and that has been in the trees several times without a puncture or tear yet. Plus it doesn't matter how moist the air is, that was a big problem with tissue. The 1/3 mil I used here is also fairly strong and the wing is nice and stiff.

I've been down in the basement spraying the wing, it's tempting with very transparent paint to throw on another coat, but I think I'm going to stop at two coats, we'll see how it looks when it dries. back to the basement
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2016, 12:53:17 PM »

Here's the wing after two coats. Very transparent, but at least the color shows up, another coat might make it a little richer, but I think I'm going to stop at two. Today's project is to get the equipment in, then it's ready to go. However if I get out flying this week I think I'm going to try to resist the temptation to bring it, still working on the Pepper!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2016, 06:40:02 PM »

That looks light and attractive, have you any idea how much weight the paint adds ? No doping sufficient strength and the approach works down to 30" WS models or less. Hmm.
John (Hepcat) - you're right - FG's build standard is consistently high.
John
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2016, 07:54:07 PM »

I weighed the wing before and after - 17g before (if I remember correctly) and 17.2g after so the two coats added about .2g, pretty negligible.

Got the equipment in. First photo shows the bottom bay, plenty of room even with the altimeter and larger (70mAh) battery, you can also see the side mounted micro switch. Second photo shows the cover on; you can also see the landing gear and it's hold down. Third photo shows the side-mounted servo and 1/32" wire pushrod. I'll get some photos of the completed plane shortly.

Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2016, 08:09:14 PM »

Looks great! I like the translucency.  Let's everyone see the high quality workmanship.
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »

I think I missed mention of just what paint you are using?

Tmat
-looks great and very light!

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2016, 08:55:52 PM »

Thank you. Paint is design master floral (they call it colortool now), this is from the "Just for flowers" series. They are labeled as being a transparent dye. I've used most of them and the transparency varies. Some of very transparent, you can barely see them after the first coat, the 'tiger lily' used for the Gull here and 'bougainvillea' for the Lanzo Cabin (that's my favorite color) are good examples. The blue is another example, so I've been hesitant to use it so far because I'm worried it's too transparent. The red used for my Hurricane (see that thread) is a little more translucent, just about right in my view, and the 'Purple pansy' used for my Comet Pepper is the most translucent. I wish they had more in the 'medium translucent' category, like the red, but I haven't found that yet. But I'm liking the 'too transparent' ones these days, like the Tiger Lily, so there are a few more I'll try like that on the next build or two.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2016, 01:13:36 PM »

OK, took a few pictures. Paint is very transparent but I'm happy with the way it came out. Total weight without equipment is 66.9 grams, with equip it's 75.4 g. The altimeter will add another 2 g and the battery about the same. I'll try 12 and 14 strands of 1/8", about 22" long, lightly braided; I'm using 12 strands (22" long) for the Hurricane, which has a 12" prop, this one has a 12 3/4" prop but it's also 10 grams lighter, so we'll have to just try and see. Will put it on the flying queue!

randoloid
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2016, 04:03:59 PM »

BEAUTIFUL-  hopefully your youtube channel will have video of the flights soon!

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2016, 05:42:35 PM »

That would have blown their socks off in the 30's. Very impressive.
John
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2016, 07:08:36 PM »

BEAUTIFUL-  hopefully your youtube channel will have video of the flights soon!

Thanks, of course I'll try to get flying video, but it might be awhile, I promised myself I'd get the Comet Pepper trimmed first, so it depends on how many good flying days are left this year, but as always I try to end these threads with flying video!

That would have blown their socks off in the 30's. Very impressive.
John

Thanks John, it's a nicer looking plane than I originally thought, now that I see it in person. It's amazing how many great designs there are from the 30's, I'm already thinking about the next one!

Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2016, 08:40:48 PM »

Flyguy,
It is marvelous to see the uncrossed rubber bands, I thought I was the only person who persisted in doing that -- ever since I was a young lad.  I think I first started doing it for aerodynamic reasons (as one does when one is young) but I soon realized that crossing the bands was like finding the most beautiful girl in the world and then sticking two bits of masking tape across her face.
John

Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »

Hey John - make sense that it might be aerodynamically better! The bands are uncrossed in the last few builds - the Sky Gull, the Pepper, the Korda Victory, etc., but I'll confess that I have sometimes crossed them, if it feels like it keeps the wing centered better (like on the Pacific Ace), also on the Hurricane they are crossed, but that's on the bottom so you can't see it!

By the way if you look close at the front end you'll see that it uses a safety pin; my last 3 builds (the Sky Gull,the Pepper, the Victory) have all used the safety pin (and I'm changing the Hurricane to that). Would never have tried it if you hadn't suggested it (thanks!), but I think it's more sensitive and you get a nice stop with it; there's a demo in my Pepper video at 7:34.

Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2016, 06:48:04 AM »

Flyguy,
I am glad the 'safety pin' springs are successful. On the matter of rubber bands keeping the wings straight: I don't want to be picky (well,yes, we all do sometimes!), if a wing or tail can move then it ought to have 'keys'. <smile>.  Something flashed into my mind as I wrote that.  Was it on the 1939 Korda, or around that time, that someone stuck a length of half round dowel under the centre section of his wing which rested in a groove in the top center of the fuselage?  I never tried it but it always looked neat and sensible.
John

Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »

It has more to do with the rubber bands being a little too long on the PA, they're tighter by crossing, so if I get slightly smaller bands then that shouldn't be necessary.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2016, 03:11:52 PM »

Finally able to get out (twice!) and do some trimming with the Sky Gull. Didn't have to add any nose or tail weight, for the second trim session I increased the wing incidence (positive) slightly, which seemed to do the trick. Had a string of 2+ minute flights the last flying session, here's a building video with one of them at the end:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7xIYrgfMD0

The last flight got up well over 200 ft. and then hit a real boomer (in spite of the temperature being in the low 40's) resulting in a 4:18 flight, I'm thinking of putting that video up as well, though I still have to work on handling the initial burst. No question though that the Sky Gull is a great flyer, really gets up there and has a nice glide. And it looks really nice in the air   Smiley

Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2016, 04:38:25 PM »

Looks great,Flyguy.

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   Royal Canadian Navy
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2016, 07:40:24 PM »

Thanks Scott, I wasn't very familiar with this plane but I'm really liking it now both in terms of looks and flying!

Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2016, 11:23:35 AM »

I put up another flying video of the Sky Gull. Still have to work on the burst, but it really gets up there, the last 3 flights of that trimming session were all over 200 feet and 2 minutes; this is the final flight of the day.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgzGatEekHw   (the singing is a little embarrassing, let's just say I was 'high' on the thermal!)

It's interesting that I've hit some of the biggest boomers thermal-wise on cold days - it's only about 42 F in this video, but the thermal took it from 240 feet up to 376 feet and it was still going up before I chickened out and steered out of it! Thermals are really fun with rubber RC because you can just float around in them and, when you've had enough, come back for a landing. It's too bad that there likely won't be a warm enough day to fly for awhile (I'll go out at 35 F and above), I'm looking forward to further trimming of the Sky Gull!

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2016, 07:14:23 PM »

That was impressive FG! I actually couldn't see on your video after it went through 200' . until it was on its way down. I like the climb of all your models but that is truly a rocket. It would be interesting to see how it compares with say a KK Senator which has a good reputation.
I was wondering if reducing the wing AOA a bit with a slight rear shift of the CG might help you control the early power burst, again this is based on my limited experience and knowledge of PGI trimming techniques.

John
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »

I put up another flying video of the Sky Gull. Still have to work on the burst, but it really gets up there, the last 3 flights of that trimming session were all over 200 feet and 2 minutes; this is the final flight of the day.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgzGatEekHw   (the singing is a little embarrassing, let's just say I was 'high' on the thermal!)

It's interesting that I've hit some of the biggest boomers thermal-wise on cold days - it's only about 42 F in this video, but the thermal took it from 240 feet up to 376 feet and it was still going up before I chickened out and steered out of it! Thermals are really fun with rubber RC because you can just float around in them and, when you've had enough, come back for a landing. It's too bad that there likely won't be a warm enough day to fly for awhile (I'll go out at 35 F and above), I'm looking forward to further trimming of the Sky Gull!

Flyguy,

Another great build and flying video!!
Awesome,
Otf'er.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: