Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 09:57:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peck A6M2 Zero  (Read 1368 times)
cglynn
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2016, 01:01:12 PM »

Back when Tim when liquidating all of the Peck Polymers stock, I picked up a couple of peanut kits.  One was the Mustang, because who doesn't love a P51.  The other one was the Zero kit.  After flying with some of the local FAC guys, I got cajoled into building something for the WWII mass launch at our next contest.  Looking at the plans for both the Zero and the P51, the Zero looked just a touch more straight forward, so I got started building.  A few nights of relaxed building, and it is done.  I did the balancing today, and even with a bunch of lead tape in the nose, weight without rubber is 12.75 grams.  Initial glide testing looks very promising.  I think this one will fly.  The build was really easy, to the point where it went together so quickly I didn't really stop to take pictures, the finish and detail work was enjoyable, and I am really happy with how it turned out.  Enjoy the pic, and I will post a flight report after maiden this evening.

Chris

I have no idea why the image is insisting on loading upside down.  On my end, its right side up, and no matter what I do, it will not upload in the correct orientation. 

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Peck A6M2 Zero
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:11:53 PM by cglynn » Logged
Mike1484
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 09:56:24 PM »

Hi Cris

The Zero looks great , it should fly very well . I had one and it flew good . Now you have to build an indoor version for Kent .

Mike1484
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 05:52:38 AM »

Looks great - it should fly well down here Smiley
John
Duncan McBride
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 08:40:59 PM »

I built two of those over the years, and they both flew very well.  A little washout in both wingtips, right thrust and down thrust, and a little left rudder, and they would climb out in a consistent right turn and glide left.  Really pretty to watch.  I think the short-coupled planes handle turbulence better, or at least recover more quickly, and are a lot of fun to watch when they hit some lift.  Have fun!
cglynn
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 02:53:10 PM »

Thanks for the replies and kind words all.  I have quickly learned that down thrust and right thrust make most peanuts fly very well.  The one exception to that is my peanut Chambermaid, which actually likes up thrust.  It is the only model  have ever needed to add upthrust to, but it works well.

Mike, I would love to get one together for Kent, but it looks like the Kent contest has seen its last days.  Apparently KSU raised their rates to the point where it is just too expensive, so for now, Kent is a thing of the past.  I would be lying if I said I was not totally bummed about that.  On the other hand, a Zero built for Kent would fly just as nice at West Baden  Wink

CG
voc
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 03:04:36 PM »

I'm building one R/C. Started that project in August '13, getting close to finishing it now.
Yours is an example for me right now! So far I'm aiming for 14 grams ready to fly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: