Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2019, 12:04:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hodek HK-101 build film  (Read 1108 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 122

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2016, 04:56:43 AM »

On the Peterborough club website today there is a link (found by Jon Whitmore?) to this very beautiful film of Tom Hallman building and flying his Hodek HK-101.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bQcPZXtFVVw

I think 'quality' is the word. I'm not sure if it inspires me to try a scale rubber twin, or tells me to NEVER attempt it! Possibly the latter.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:16:23 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 07:52:37 AM »

Astonishing quality. I like the way every former has been scalloped so they don't show. Makes all the difference.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 122

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 08:44:55 AM »

I think it was the crisp perfection of even the the smallest parts and the trim/markings which really struck me. Same applies to a few other modellers, like Mike Stuart and Robert Pajas, and that's the thing I know I'll never emulate. Just too many botches on my models! I liked the fuselage building technique though. I might try that sometime.
Ausmodeller
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 12:06:07 AM »

Careful who you say that to Bill, kkphantom got pilloried for pointing that out on another thread...
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 11:46:05 AM »

That is a delightful film, and very inspiring.
I left YouTube running and it went straight on to play a similar film of a Peanut scale Martynside biplane being built. That was equally well done.

JB

Gliders are a part of me.
Ausmodeller
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 08:17:16 PM »

If you subscribe to his youtube channel there are loads of videos of his trimming and building methods. I love the way he pre-paints the tissue and applies it dry. I bet it's lovely to have a flying field like that at your disposal.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 08:35:18 PM »

Thanks for that Pete. Inspiring and daunting at the same time.
Beautiful.
John
Craig G
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 10:37:06 AM »

Lovely video. I saw in a later version he has adjusted it to turn left under power, with some very nice flights.

How does one remove material from the inside of a balsa spinner so precisely, as shown in the video?

Craig
semeraro
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 03:27:31 PM »

beautiful build. I have a question for you designers out there. How do you figure out the shape of fuselage formers such that the stringers are nice and smooth? In other words how do you develop cross section shapes along the fuselage, especially for a compound curve, from just a 3 view drawing and a couple of cross sections?

Thanks,
Dave Semeraro
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 03:36:31 PM »

If you'd like more inspiration check out his site Maxfliart - YouTube page Click Here
Sky9pilot

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 04:58:54 PM »

I have a question for you designers out there. How do you figure out the shape of fuselage formers such that the stringers are nice and smooth? In other words how do you develop cross section shapes along the fuselage, especially for a compound curve, from just a 3 view drawing and a couple of cross sections?

Not too much of a designer but it is usually not too hard to do.  First you draw in your centerline on the top view and thrustline or other reference line on the side view.  Then you figure out where you want your bulkheads to be.  Then you mark the bulkhead locations on both the top and side view.  This gives you the key information: the width and height of each bulkhead.  Now you can refer to the given fuselage cross sections and either sketch your bulkheads by eyeball or do it more scientifically by placing two adjoining cross sections apart from each other and draw 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 o'clock dots on both cross sections, then bisect the two one o'clock dots and make a mark, then bisect the two two o'clock dots and make a mark etc. until you have 6 marks, then connect them up with a smooth line and you have your new bulkhead shape.
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 10:51:27 PM »

I think something might be lost in the translation, Strat-o. Can you put up a sketch? thanks.
strat-o
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 08:50:41 PM »

Here's a sketch.  When I drew this up I got really nervous that it wasn't going to work because it started out looking wrong. Turns out I made a mistake on one of the points.  Once that point was corrected it all worked out.  I bisected each of the stringer lines by marking the line lengths on strips of paper and folding them to get the midpoint.  In this case we have placed marks at the 50% point along each of our "stringer" lines. If you follow what's going on you will see that if you can mark points at any given percentage you want and it still works.  If you place your marks at 10% from the left the resulting bulkhead will be more circle-like and if you place your marks 10% from the right your bulkhead will be more like a square.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Hodek HK-101 build film
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 10:49:33 PM »

Absolutely perfect and now I get it. My mind was visualizing it all wrong before. Many thanks and I will, indeed, use this in the future.
semeraro
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 09:59:47 AM »

Thanks strat-o. The picture makes it clear. Another mystery solved Smiley
strat-o
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 10:13:56 AM »

Let me add a final step here.  First, as you may have surrmized, this is linear interpolation and it assumes that from cross section 1 to cross section 2 that the fuselage has straight lines.  However, this is rarely the case because usually there are curves involved so what you end up with is either the bulkhead is the right shape but it's the wrong size or it's the right size but the wrong shape.  To solve this, just make sure the bulkhead is close to the right shape, then if it's too fat, throw it into a graphics program and make the width thinner.  And if it's too short, make it taller.  Most graphics programs let you independently scale the X and Y of your selections.

Take a look at this thread http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=20991.0, especially the first two posts.  Dave has hand drawn the plans for this aircraft based on three views.  He shows the three views and also each bulkhead he designed is shown.  If you study closely, you can interpret the design decisions Dave made.  One thing I though was interesting is bulkhead J.  This bulkhead is rounder and the three views don't show the shape of this part of the fuselage.  I suspect he had to study another source to get this information in order to get the tail section right.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:33:55 AM by strat-o » Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 07:12:50 PM »

That covers it well Strat-O. Trial and error is often the quickest way to get results.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: