Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 10:35:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Helldiver flight sequence for diagnosis  (Read 666 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2016, 09:02:34 AM »

I was having trouble getting the Helldiver dialed in a few weeks ago. Here is what was right: the day, the weather, the tall grass, the great company... Everything else was bassackwards!  After a while I put it away and flew other stuff to get in a better mood. Here is what I was experiencing: A good initial right hand climb, then a screaming hell-dive into the soft grass. I went home after a great days flying "other stuff" and took this pain in the "A" out to a closer field with not such great conditions: it was blowing, the grass was soft as concrete, and I was in bad company. I self diagnosed the trouble as (1) wrong CG (2) prop too big (3) I noticed severe wash-in on the port wing. I made the changes one-at-a-time...Needless to say the thing never had a fighting chance as after the third rude cartwheel the wing flew off, which was actually quite humane on the part of the balsa deity. So now she's in dry-dock getting the wing re-set. I am particularly pissed about the wash-in situation, but I had it warped in instead of built in. My wings have always been stable till lately. I recently learned a better way to run the grain, and am going for a less extreme wing incidence than what is shown on the plan. Thanks to Dan from Okeechobee for the pics!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Helldiver flight sequence for diagnosis
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:18:16 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 03:07:45 PM »

I meant to indicate that I had the wash-out warped in. I should have built it in...whatever! I had high hopes for this thing....

The Threadkiller!
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 94

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 10:17:28 AM »

Based on your second post I'm not sure whether I'm reading things right, but here's an opinion: if you have wash-in on the left wings, and no wash or wash-out on the right, you'll never get it going to the right safely. Right pattern requires a left roll bias, and vice versa. Again, I could be reading you wrong on it all. If the warps persist, it may be time to re-cover the wings and partially preshrunk tissue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: