Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 10:55:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: engine for stunt  (Read 799 times)
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2016, 05:22:32 PM »

Will an OS Max 111 .15  be enough engine for a 450sq. in.  , 24 ounce stunt plane
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 07:37:17 PM »

Okay so no thoughts on this. Maybe I will just hang my OS Max SF 60 on it. Could be interesting, LOL.
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 08:05:49 PM »

The popular FliteStreak and Ringmaster are near 400 sq." and 25 oz. typical power is an OS LA 25 or an older Fox 35. Your project appears underpowered.

Norm
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 08:12:52 PM »

A Junior FliteStreak or Jr Ringmaster at 200 sq" would be a better match. See: http://brodak.com/control-line-kits/brodak/trainer/jr-ringmaster-kit.html
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 09:21:33 PM »

Okay so no thoughts on this. Maybe I will just hang my OS Max SF 60 on it. Could be interesting, LOL.
an 0&R 60 would be better!  FCOL  Shocked Why do you think we or anybody is obligated to respond.

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
ghostler
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 11:21:20 PM »

Will an OS Max 111 .15  be enough engine for a 450sq. in., 24 ounce stunt plane

Next time, try posting in "Stunt". Reason why you probably did not get a reply in time is this forum is for all else that doesn't fit the other categories. I usually skip General Discussion because I'm in the others. Agree with Norm F. Cross scavenged .15 is better for the smaller planes he indicated. A current Sig Acromaster would also work.

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US
LOUCRANE
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »

To Sleepy, re: OP

In the early to mid-70's, I "campaigned" an OS 15 III powered smallish stunter. The model was kit-bashed from a TopFlite Combat Cats box. (the kit consisted of parts to build two Flite Streak wings with the combat-model engine/tank pod and elevator carrying booms, ASIR.)

Used one FS wing (about 380 sq in.) Fuselage and tail redesigned. Body a stand-way-off impersonation of Gialdini's Olympic 6. Inverted unmuffled engine, flaps. Weighed about 20 oz with a tank of fuel. Flew VERY well on 0.012 by 52.5' braided, 8-4 prop and around 15% - or maybe 10% - SIG Champion (all-castor fuel.)

So, it can be done. Light, straight, clean form very helpful. BTW, the model had some very weird experiences. A seagull line-strike during a flight at a Lake Charles, LA, AMA Nats. ...just twanged it, somewhat alarmed me, and continued the flight as if nothing had happened. (Couple of gull feathers on the lines, that's all.)

Another time, the inboard wheel came off - as I was landing. Repaired, but didn't clean the soldering flux off well enough: wheel was bound up. A newby buddy launched my next flight. The model pirouetted around the inboard wheel, which lifted the inboard wing. Without the wheel dragging it rolled straight at me - a few feet. Wheel came down. Another pirouette; banked and ran a few more feet - opposite the direction of flight! Next time. I somehow managed a combination of raising the handle and pulling the lines gently taut. It flew out of the confusion, without snagging the lines or tying a knot in them. By the end of the fuel, exhaust oil and engine vibration had loosened the bound wheel - landing was "nominal."

The new guy buddy who launched me had left the field. Next time I saw him, he said he'd thought I'd get on him about a bad launch. We both thought it funny  - afterward.
\LOU

/LOU
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 07:08:58 PM »

Thanks for the information. Wish I had a video of the line dancing. I have a K&B 19 I'll start with. My engine inventory is often short of exactly what I need. I have a strong 25 but it flew a similar plane too fast. At least for me. SLEEPY
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 10:04:35 PM »

Sleepy,

I'm a big fan of the early OS 15's, and I think it could easily pull your 450sq model, but would need to be unmuffled.

I'm not too sure if you'd get sufficient power from a 4-2 run, perhaps a slightly rich 2 stroke, using 8X4 or 9X4 prop.

Good Luck.

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
LOUCRANE
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 01:30:09 AM »

Bump, and correction to my prior...

What I quasi-copied for that OS 15 III model was Shaeffer's Stunt Machine, as published for OS 3S. Twin fin, low profile side view, but built-up fuse. VERY enjoyable flier! 8-4 prop, comfortable in its low 2-cycle RPM range, no muffler, but not all that loud for the time...

Amazing what a small engine at raised RPM can do. There's just somewhat less margin if the worst sets in on you.

/LOU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: