Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2021, 09:39:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peck Polymers P-30 One Night 28  (Read 7014 times)
JasperKota
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2017, 11:40:41 PM »

Five minutes observation at the GGG will be more useful to you than much more time spent studying a guide.   Touch base.

JM
Jim is right.  Hook up with one or two people that can both show you and answer questions.   

Hopefully you can find someone in your area that can serve as a mentor.

Definitely going to get in touch with experienced fliers at the GGG in September. Just sent out a couple emails to the RC clubs, hoping to find someone who's familiar with outdoor free flight in my area that can help me out.
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2017, 11:54:19 PM »

I know a guy in Rochester. Close enough?
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 280

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2017, 12:27:31 AM »

GGG - ask for me at the contest HQ table
Jim Moseley - CD
calgoddard
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2017, 09:00:05 AM »

JasperKota -

Jim is right.

It is much better to learn free flight from an experienced flier who is teaching while you observe.

This applies to both building models and flying models.

For example, I don't recall any written description of the steps involved in inserting and removing a blast tube using a wire extractor.  It is a simple process to accomplish on the flying field, but it is a very complex process to describe in writing. A new outdoor flier would likely be puzzled how to use a blast tube if he only read about it as opposed to seeing one used in person.  

I once wrote an article about how to braid rubber motors.  It was full of pictures.  It went on, and on, and on. My article was published in my local flying club's newsletter.  I am not sure anyone learned how to braid a rubber motor from my article. However, braiding rubber motors is a relatively simple process that I could show you how to do, in person, in five minutes.  

I don't want to diminish the value of reading to gain valuable information that will help you in our free flight hobby.  However, I have found that the combination of observing, doing and reading gives good results.  But the former is crucial when you are starting out.  

In regard to outdoor rubber powered free flight, the book entitled "Rubber Powered Model Airplanes" by Don Ross is about the best one I have come across for beginners.  It can be purchased for $15 from Volare Products here:

http://volareproducts.com/BUY/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=101

PS - I have learned a great deal from reading the posts on HPA by Jim Moseley and others.  However, I didn't start reading and posting on HPA until after my mentor had taught me the basics of building and flying an outdoor rubber powered model airplane. I wish I had started reading and posting on HPA sooner. I would have avoided making a number of mistakes. 

Good luck with your KIWI P-30 Smiley
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:41:34 AM by calgoddard » Logged
JasperKota
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2017, 11:29:03 PM »

I know a guy in Rochester. Close enough?
About an hour and a half away; I'll private message you if I can't find anyone else closer. Thanks!
GGG - ask for me at the contest HQ table
Jim Moseley - CD
Will do, I'll make a note of it  Smiley
A new outdoor flier would likely be puzzled how to use a blast tube if he only read about it as opposed to seeing one used in person. 
Haha, that's currently what I'm going through right now from the small bits and pieces I've read about them on forums. I'll look into Rubber Powered Model Airplanes, thank you for the suggestion. I haven't dug too deep into the threads on HPA, but have learned a lot of info so far. BMJR says they just shipped out the package, hoping to get started next week.

Thanks for all the input everyone!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: