Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 26, 2019, 02:08:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Casano Stick  (Read 4647 times)
dohrmc
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2016, 10:31:08 AM »

Sanded, doped and ready for covering. 50.2 grams. I am hoping to keep the finished weight under 80 grams. If I can accomplish that, this thing ought to really go.
Pictures later, I am off to work on my last day ever. I am giving a check ride to two brand new Delta pilots. This will be my 3rd retirement, and it will be my last. It has been a great career, but it is time to have some fun. Almost 44 years at Delta is enough!
Time to grow a beard.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2016, 05:21:13 PM »

Hope it went well. Enjoy your retirement.

John
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2016, 09:49:57 PM »

I am now officially done!
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 278

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2016, 11:06:52 PM »

Congratulations, Dohrm.  Time to relax a little ......  assuming Mrs. Dohrm so allows....  Cheesy
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2016, 11:26:47 PM »

Thank you!
We had a bottle of chanpaigne tonight to celebrate Freedom at last.
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2016, 11:02:51 PM »

Fuselage covered with polyspan and doped. Starting on the wing. I am applying my usual tissue strip job, then on to the rest of the wing covering.
I made the strips a little wider as an experiment. Prediction is that the wing will be remarkably stiff and less likely to warp.
Stay tuned.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Casano Stick
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2016, 08:27:46 PM »

On the home stretch. Only things left are covering the wing and stab, and putting the prop assembly together. Excepting of course, a wee bit of decoration.
Fuselage weighs 30.5 grams.
Wing, ready to cover is 19.5 grams. It gained 1.1 gram with the tissue stripes.
Stab is 4.5 grams, with all the floppy bits still attached. Fins are 1.5 grams together. So, I have a chance of a reasonably good weight if I can control my urges to slap on more dope coats.
jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2016, 12:54:33 AM »

thank you for passing along the photos and component weights, it give us an idea what the "ballpark" weights can be without having built this model before. I like the idea about the diagonal tissue strips, especially useful for small stick models or embyo's.

when done please post the weight of the prop and noseblock assy, thanks in advance.

john s.

ps - i like the volare props also, used one folder for my gollywock
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2016, 09:23:21 AM »

My only question here is why? This is not a complicated model to build. Just build it to the best of your ability. My model was around 70 grams less rubber. I used a 10 strand (5 loops) of 3/16 motor and a 15" free wheeler. Flew great and is still competitive.

I guess its just me but, I have never understood the extra work some guys think necessary??
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 94

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2016, 12:28:32 PM »

My only question here is why?

Better yet, why build it at all? He could just drive down to Atlanta Hobby and pick up a Parkzone RTF model and be right in the air.

Just build it to the best of your ability.

Not sure I've ever seen "the best of [Dohrman's] ability," but I get the feeling that he's showing it to you.

I guess its just me but, I have never understood the extra work some guys think necessary??

I guess I never understood the extra work some guys think necessary to critique other fliers' innovations.
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2016, 01:28:28 PM »

Better yet, why build it at all? He could just drive down to Atlanta Hobby and pick up a??? Parkzone RTF model and be right in the air.

REALLY Josh???

Not sure I've ever seen "the best of [Dohrman's] ability," but I get the feeling that he's showing it to you.

I never questioned Dohrman's ability. Maybe he's showing something you've never seen before?

I guess I never understood the extra work some guys think necessary to critique other fliers' innovations.

Not critiquing, just making a simple observation and this is not an innovation.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 94

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2016, 01:08:06 PM »

Better yet, why build it at all? He could just drive down to Atlanta Hobby and pick up a??? Parkzone RTF model and be right in the air.

REALLY Josh???

I never questioned Dohrman's ability. Maybe he's showing something you've never seen before?

Not critiquing, just making a simple observation and this is not an innovation.

Yes, you are critiquing. Your mistake is doing it to a personal friend of mine.

As an aerospace professional, I know innovation when I see it.
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 277

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »

I have been modelling for a long time and I agreewith Maxout that what Dohrmc is doing to stiffen his wing is innovative.I have played about with thread diagonal bracing and I suspect others have as well but it did not do the job properly, Dorhrmc's method, where the tissue is shrunk to tension it, does work very successfully.  There is one thing that I would suggest to Dorhrmc and that is to changes the angle of the diagonals nearer to 45 degrees.  If you want some justification for this you will find it in a paper by William McCombs in the 1977 Symposium.
John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2016, 07:43:42 PM »

R.P. Hanford - Bob The Elder - used this technique to great effect.
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2017, 08:31:48 AM »

Dorhm, I used your method of cross strips on my new 600 R-Rod but using Polyspan! The added strength and stiffness was amazing. I'll try and post a pic of the plane.

Scott
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2017, 05:51:19 PM »

It's not my idea. Years ago I read an article in Flying Magazine about a noted Mexican Flier who used this method. Forget his name, but I have never claimed to be innovative. Great at copying, yes.
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2017, 11:17:27 PM »

Josh, thank you for your spirited defense.  However, I never give a thought to comments from someone who is obviously wearing underwear about three sizes too small. Tends to make them cross.
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2018, 09:46:42 PM »

The poor Casano has been on the bench for quite a while, while other airplanes were repaired or built. I have resurrected the project, and am almost done and ready for testing. A couple small details to go. The excellent 15” Volare prop is carved, and the dope is drying on its silk covering as I write this.
I hope to fly it at a big contest later in the month.
It weighs 70 grams, less the prop. I think it has a good chance of being competitive. The plan says it originally flew on 22 strands of 1/8” rubber. Depending on final weight, I think it should go well on less.

Ignore the messy shop.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2018, 04:13:07 AM »

Very nice. The work shop looks great to me - plenty of seats and lots of inspiring details and balsa. Smiley
John
ILM Tarheel
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2018, 07:11:07 AM »

Looking good Dohrman! I'm always impressed by your work. Good luck with the first flight.

Jimmy J
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2018, 07:23:02 AM »

Thank you, guys. It’s funny- about once a year, I decide to clean it up, and it looks great. Floor has no balsa shavings, tools all in their place. Lots of working space.....I have three long tables in there.  Wife nods approvingly! 

Then, my true nature takes hold, and Boom!  All goes back to its natural state-wilderness.

Jimmy, I just hope it flies as well as a Blue Ridge Special.
Bigbandito
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2018, 01:05:14 PM »

Fuselage covered with polyspan and doped. Starting on the wing. I am applying my usual tissue strip job, then on to the rest of the wing covering.
I made the strips a little wider as an experiment. Prediction is that the wing will be remarkably stiff and less likely to warp.
Stay tuned.

Just curious Dohrm, do you use this on all of your non-scale planes? If not, what criteria do you use to determine whether or not it's needed?

Thanks,
Dana

"If you love something, set it free...  Just make sure you've got a DT on it."  - Richard Bach (paraphrased)
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »

Yes, I pretty much use it on all non scale Contest models. I like to run the strips over the spars, if the design will allow it. I will always do it if after I build a wing and give it a light twisting, it flexes like a wet noodle. Scroll up to Scott’s post on his much bigger gas model. I have handled his model, and checked it out-the Wing is like a board.

It really works. These days, I just do it for the benefits.

I first did this in 2000 when I built my first CO2 competition model. The wing was alarmingly flexible. After putting in the strips, then covering, it was amazingly stiff, and, as a bonus, resisted warps much better. That CO2 model got lost, heavily rained on, then found  again with no noticeable warps. It was out there for over a week.

Won the Nats with it a little later that year. One of the few times I ever beat George Perryman.

The original article I saw was in Flying Models magazine in an article about a well known modeler from Mexico who used this bracing. Thought I would give it a try, and have done it ever since. It’s not my idea.
It also has the benefit of being very light. Try it, you won’t regret it.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2018, 10:31:15 PM »

Dohrm,

I thought you ran the strips over the outside of the tissue.  Evidently the diagonals are the first layer then the tissue goes on over that.  I sort of did that on my 1/2A Satellite but the first layer was Cuben fiber with the weave on a 45. 

Then the diagonal strips and a layer of tissue from the main spar forward. 

I think what you are doing is more effective, although mine worked well enough.

I assume you water shrink the tissue strips before adding the outside layer of tissue.  Do you also add a coat or two of nitrate before covering?

dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2018, 11:14:28 PM »

I put the strips on first, prop everything thing up with desired warps-weighted down so the wing can’t move, then shrink. I wait overnight usually, or a day or so, then cover as usual. I use dope and thinner to cover, so the dope goes through the tissue and you end up with a double covered  X in each bay of ribs. I let things thoroughly dry while keeping warps in place.

You could easily do this on a Scale model, but probably would look better if the model was to be painted.  John Barker says for max effectiveness, the tissue strips should be at a 45 degree angle. I’ll try that on the next one.

If you try this, you will become a fan.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: