Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 22, 2019, 07:10:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Casano Stick  (Read 4644 times)
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

United States United States

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2018, 10:56:12 AM »

Does the grain of the tissue run along the length of the strips or across the width of the strips?
dohrmc
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »

I have always run the grain the length of the strips. One of my OFB, Scott Lapraik, flies mostly gas. He used this tissue strip method on his 600 Ramrod using polyspan. His wing is literally stiff as a board. After seeing his plane, I see no reason to be glueing carbon strips on the ribs. Weight gain with his strips is negligible, as it is with tissue covered planes.

Took my Casano to the FAC Nats at Geneseo, hoping to get in some trimming sessions. Sad to say, the wind was such that I did not fly any trim flights. Next week I hope to do that finally at the sod farm.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2018, 01:38:13 PM »

If you remember George Perryman had his Casano Stick flying GREAT. I chased it among several models when he needed a chaser before taking his to the AMA Nats, and then the SAM Champs. His really flew great back then. I wonder what happened to the Casano Stick and then the Mighty Ying he flew. Still miss seeing him fly. Good Luck with yours at the sod farm. a great place.
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2018, 02:09:05 PM »

From HPA post by modelace on September 5, 2014:

Esaki has a defined grain and has greater shrinkage in the direction perpendicular to that grain.

Assuming this to be true, wouldn't you want the grain to run along the width of the zig-zag strips that you use to reinforce your wing?
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »

I thought it might shrink the tissue into little strings. The way I do it is fine with me. Give it a try and let us know how it works. Or, I might try a trial on the next model.

As to the Mighty Ying- I happen to have the model. I keep thinking I will take it out and fly it, but never do. He called it that for a reason!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:59:24 PM by dohrmc » Logged
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2018, 04:01:19 PM »

Watched Ted Allebone put his Casano up at Geneseo. Very Gollywock like, he was using 16 strands, I believe, as his model is so light.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2018, 09:44:41 PM »

From HPA post by modelace on September 5, 2014:

Esaki has a defined grain and has greater shrinkage in the direction perpendicular to that grain.

Assuming this to be true, wouldn't you want the grain to run along the width of the zig-zag strips that you use to reinforce your wing?

Was just thinking about this when reviewing the subject.  You want the grain along the length of the strip.   This imparts torsional stiffness to the structure by tensile force along the strip..  I tried this on my 1/2A Satellite and it made a great deal of difference.  Grain across the strip will make it very weak in tension.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: