Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 16, 2019, 04:09:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beechcraft Model 35 Bonanza  (Read 1970 times)
Copbait73
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2016, 06:35:33 PM »

Beech Bonanza 35, not a build thread however it looked so cute I decided to post a finished picture and give some details.
A true dimer, this is model is built from the Ace Whitman plan. Over the years I've collected common and obscure dime plans. This one came to me from the late Danny Kane.

Details are: printwood, 5# C grain, 1/8 X 1/16" spar is 10# A grain, wing strip stock 7# all other strip 6#.
Finished airframe covered with Esaki is 10gms. The canopy is wrap formed .005" plastic sheet and is the only (heavy but necessary) feature of this subject. The canopy detailed on the plan is far short of working which reinforces discussions regarding if the designers of these kits ever built one. Prop is a modified, repitched and balanced Peck.

The rear stab is built per plan however looks too small based on very positive experience flying my 25" Bonanza. The 25" model was built late spring and was very loosely inspired by this same plan. The stab mounting is left unfinished for testing.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Beechcraft Model 35 Bonanza
vonfilm
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:16:35 PM »

Beautifully done.
Ex Member

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 02:10:49 AM »

Very nicely done indeed...

Andrew
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 02:22:36 AM »

Very nice indeed  May I ask what you have done for the prop drive / freewheel?
Copbait73
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 11:39:52 AM »

Thank you for the generous comments.
I hope that posting comments about balsa weights help others. I weigh and grade my balsa. I use a balsa stripper on known grade balsa sheets to improve my strength to weight. None of this is new to accomplished modelers but may be helpful to those new or returning to the hobby.
Regarding the prop drive that is not fixed yet because I now move to initial trimming which I do without prop and rubber. After I establish a good idea of C/G to stab area and decalage then I fix the prop. The stab area is a concern and will be addressed here. On this model I have .032" wire bent with what looks like a flat figure 8. I think the typical S hook gives away too much rubber length especially toward the nose where it is most critical. Just a preference.
I hope it will fly on a 3 x prop to peg loop of 3/32" rubber. This should give me 2700  winds at 100% and 2200 at 80%.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 12:44:05 PM »

Great airplane. Well done! I love that particular model. I have a vague memory on having a sheet model of it in the 50's. That particular plan is on Aerofred. Too bad it isn't in  the HPA collection.
ian
Re: Beechcraft Model 35 Bonanza
Copbait73
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 02:03:39 PM »

Yes, that is the plan I built to, with approved modifications for FAC dime event competition.
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 03:50:07 PM »

Boy that is a really nice model.   Has it flown?  Looks terrific.
Copbait73
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 09:20:43 PM »

Thank you, no this is a just completed photo. Glide testing and powered flights soon.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 07:48:35 AM »

Great airplane. Well done! I love that particular model. I have a vague memory on having a sheet model of it in the 50's. That particular plan is on Aerofred. Too bad it isn't in  the HPA collection.
ian
Might have been the Bonanza from Cleveland Models 'Quicky' series and can be found/downloaded on the PARMODELS site.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 12:15:15 PM »

I downloaded the plan a while ago and plan on building it, but it seems larger than what my brain remembers.
ian
Ray_K
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 07:30:13 PM »

8-31-2016

Nice model, like the color choice.  Grin

I have been looking to build a new dime scale and this will do nicely, I have the plans from Aerofred now, thank you guy's. Please keep us posted on the stab area it does look a little small. I look forward to flight results. I am working on a helicopter project right now and I need to finish my Bellanca but I will get to building this little beauty soon.

Cheers, Ray K.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 05:29:21 AM »

It is a pretty little thing, I am really liking Dimers, as you can get away with so much less and still have a nice plane that will fit somewhere in the house when you're not flying it. So many designers used that P-51 looking wing, I am doing a Chieftain elsewhere, and that wing has popped up again! My Dad did a few Bonanzas but I don't think they flew too well. This little dimer of yours has me all itchy.

The Threadkiller!
Copbait73
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 10:45:12 PM »

Yeah, had more than a few modelers advise me to stay away from Vee-tail subjects. Having owned a Bonanza I built a 25" wingspan model of my own design over the winter. I was pleasantly surprised. This one is a real performer so I decided to build the Dimer.
Gotta admit I'm still looking for a true old design Dimer to match performance of the Puesdo-dimer Beech Staggerwing. Old school dimer monoplanes are tiny compared with the modern Staggerwing model.
Anyway here is the only picture I have of my 25" Bonanza. Wrapped up on the wind indicator streamer.

p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 05:24:49 AM »

Grin FROG has a v tailmodel and it works great too.

jim Grin
Copbait73
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »

Grin FROG has a v tailmodel and it works great too.

jim Grin

Thanks I'll check that out. I have kits or plans of most others; Cleveland, Sterling, Keil Kraft. Most have too much structure from the wing aft. Tail heaviness is a problem with the full- sized model and is really bad in a rubber model. That is why after much consideration I built my own.
Once I had the fuselage and wing completed I cut numerous tail sizes to visualize the "correct" size.
If you don't want to trim out a Vee-tail just add some windows and a straight tail for a Debbie.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 12:54:12 PM »

Outerzone actually has 2 plans for this model:
http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7834
http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7213 which is a cleaned-up version of the previous plan.
ian
Copbait73
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 10:33:55 PM »

First flight report.

Winds were higher but steady. Not the best conditions to sort out a dimer. Regardless, loaded up with rubber and prop the balance was in the ballpark. As rubber winds went up the need for additional down thrust was addressed. Flying stronger she really looks good!

However, all is not fine, out of possibly ten total flights she departed controlled flight and went nose in at least three times.The fact the stab looked too small has always been a concern. I don't have time to build a new stab and flight test before next weekend's big back to back FAC four day event(s) so I have a plan; I added 1/32" Gurney flaps to the stabs, with a dab of offsetting nose weight. With this I hope  for some low wind conditions which I'm confident she will handle well. An enlarged stab is the long term fix. I'll report back on that.

Setting my sights on a nice little Ace Whitman Ercoupe dimer for a follow-up Fall build.
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 11:33:31 AM »

You could add a little more on the ends of the stabs instead of building new ones, maybe? Use your lightest wood, ok if a bit punky.

Lots of v-tailed model designs have them too small. Equivalent projected area isn't enough. If the total surface area is the same, that's supposed to be close.
Copbait73
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 10:30:06 PM »

After my last update I added 1/32 sheet extensions to the stab trailing edge and resumed flying. My field additions were still not adequate and it departed flight from level and dove straight in. The rear stab broke off, the rear peg broke out, taking out the lower portion of the left fuselage. The right wing was broken in numerous locations and the left wing had a broken spar.

On that day I took it home with all intentions to just build another. Yesterday I decided to make all of the repairs and go back to  flight testing to solve it's pitch stability issue first.

Here it is with structural repairs completed, ready for cover. The bare balsa is repaired. In the case of the lower fuselage new wood and a new enlarged stab designed and built. The stab now has roughly 20% more area. The right wing is all new except for the outboard covered area and two salvaged ribs.

Once covering is completed I'll post another shot before it goes back in to storeage to wait for spring.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 11:48:30 PM »

Good choice to fix it! HA HA HA I have a triage unit in my shop right now! It makes sense to fix 'em rather than trash 'em, and the rewards are very satisfying when they are climbing away in a wide circle.

The Threadkiller!
Copbait73
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 12:34:16 AM »

Good choice to fix it! HA HA HA I have a triage unit in my shop right now! It makes sense to fix 'em rather than trash 'em, and the rewards are very satisfying when they are climbing away in a wide circle.
Yes, often perfection is not required. Besides every flying Dimer is destined to carried away by a thermal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: