Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 07:12:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peck Peanut Pietenpol G-24 powered  (Read 5870 times)
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2016, 05:58:21 AM »

Making finally underway on my first build of the winter!   Smiley

The kit parts are laser-cut at 1/32 with some 1/8 parts, strip-wood a fairly stiff/heavy 1/16.
Going for robustness so using this stuff, but will make plenty offerings to the God of Ethereal Lightness as I progress.
Covering will be yellow and black Esaki, to emulate the full-size version with Ford Model A engine pictured.
Will turn my own wheels, don't like the roughly-moulded plastic halves.
Aiming for final airframe weight of 8g, plus the 6g G-24 (incl prop and tank), total 14g.
Wing-area is 30 sq in, so loading of 0.47g/sq in.

The nose is a very small pyramid cavity with no front access and minute clearance, so took ages to conceive the motor installation.
Once I had a rough idea of this - a thin ply bulkhead, later changed to a thick balsa one - with a plan for side+down thrusts, I made a start.
The eventual mock Ford engine will hopefully cover most of the upright parts of the CO2 motor.

Stoopidly chose too stiff a strip to wet-bend the lower longeron, which came off the cardboard mould with some spring-back.
I tried to bully it into shape by pinning it and gluing up the side-frames, but the spring-back simply telegraphed the distortion to the upper longeron.
So I sliced the offending longerons off, and tried laminating strips of 1/32 instead but the curve wasn't fair or pretty, so went back to Plan A.
Re-cutting the mould into a tighter curve and re-wetting the longerons resulted in spring-back to the correct curve!

One particular change I'm considering for later on in the build is to reduce the dihedral from 9/16 (15mm) to 3/8 (10mm).

Jon
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Peck Peanut Pietenpol G-24 powered
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 06:21:15 AM »

The resulting fuselage box-frame came out with fair with some sexy complex curves.  Grin

The second photo shows the nose built up with the bulkhead glued in place.
I used a piece of soft 1/8 as it weighed no more than the ply and was stiffer.
The extra thickness should also give me more options for fixing the removable cowling top & mock Ford motor.
The bulkhead was scribed in square, as I'll be using shims to achieve off-thrusts.

Also visible are the cut-out 1/32 top decking parts, sanded down to 0.6mm (whatever that equates to in old money!).
The plans give templates for paper decking, but this always seems to crush and soak up too much dope etc and never works well for me.

The final photos show the top cowling complete and held lose atop the nose.
Doing this work is at the very limit of my fat-finger abilities.  Not as good as the Gods on here, but very satisfying.

It didn't help having three eleven year old boys on half-term watching loud yoof TV, then outside soaking one-another with pump-action water guns, and the occupants of passing cars foolish enough to have their windows open  Shocked  whilst the rescue-dog barked his skull off.

Re: Peck Peanut Pietenpol G-24 powered
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 07:12:47 AM »

Final work yesterday evening - powered by a bottle of St Peter's ale whilst the Woman made a chicken curry from the remains of Sunday's roast and the Kid had his first bath in four days...

The keen observer will note the following:

The fuselage needs its own half-former immediately behind the removable nose top-cowling.
This could only be glued in once the tank and piping were in place, for which I used soft-balsa 'cushions' and held by thread and aliphatic.
The supply pipe from the tank had to be mended with metal-epoxy, so it is no longer removable.
It is impossible to use screws to hold the motor to the bulkhead, as there's no clearance ever for a jeweller's screwdriver via the nose opening.
Instead I fashioned three wooden nails out of a toothpick, which are inserted from above using fine pincers, then pushed home.
The friction-fit will be glued on final installation, with shims to provide requisite thrust - hope I get it roughly right!  Shocked
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 07:23:52 AM »

From the sublime to the ridiculous...
or from blissfully quiet and inert gas to explosively reciprocating noise...
this final photo inadvertently shows the fuselage of another project lurking in the shadows...

a Chris Foss ACRO WOT (admittedly the ARTF version to save building time) into which I'll be fitting an ASP 70 four-stroke!   Grin
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 04:05:40 PM »

Mock engine complete, with super-micro-magnets holding the whole top assembly in place.
Could have inverted the CO2 motor, so the Ford engine block didn't have the funny cut-out for the G24 cylinder.
Then I could have made the carb, had four exhausts and spark-plugs, and mocked up the leads.
But what is done is done - and I rather like the two motors 'superimposed' anyway.

The paper patterns for the top decking actually came out considerably oversize, but easy to trim the balsa to fit.

Fuselage bones complete, next the undercarriage and cabane struts, then the flying surfaces....

Smiley
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 07:32:53 PM »

Jon

I have an 16" span version of a vintage KK Skorpion powered by the G24 and it is somewhat overpowered. 
Especially in dealing with the initial power burst, I had to turn it down which has the benefit of a longer run.
Just wondering if you may have a problem with too much grunt in a peanut sized model - be careful when trimming it out.

Regards John
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 03:04:33 AM »

Thanks for this John.

I'm really very inexperienced with CO2 motors, and am already mithering about weight and small wing area.
Should have instead chosen a fat-nosed Peanut biplane for the G-24.
But I'm quite smitten with this Pietenpol, even though I don't have a smaller motor - they're hard to find.
Plan is to 'throttle down' for duration and use a gas-only charge, although it would be nice to achieve ROG.

Its a bit of an experiment really, but if it doesn't work as planned then I've got a buzzy Voodoo 10 waiting in the wings...
Or it might look good just hanging from the ceiling!

Jon
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 03:46:31 AM »

Jack,
       I realy like the build and think it will look very nice in the air.  Provided the weight does not get out of hand you should be ok. When you throttle back it also tend to damp the power burst and of course the duration of the powered run increases considerably. I was out flying my Aeronca powered by a Brown twin and this is set at a low speed that give a well controlled initial burst followed by a long and realistic climb. This also helps in controlling the climb. I have also rest the Gasparins in my Aerographics Comper Swifts lower than in the past to get a more relistic flight again increasing the power run. The joy of CO2 is that you have good control of rpm. Also there is the ability to change props and slow the rpm down that way. Do not forget there is also the option of using only gas charge to limit the duration of the power phase of the flight. 
Ricky
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 03:56:33 AM »

Thanks Ricky

The build has slowed for the past few days while I catch up on real work.
This also gives me time to think about how much detail to put in or leave out.
Things like faux-leather coaming around the cockpits, instrument panel, pilot, etc.
Its not for competition, but its a fun challenge upping the 'realism',
whilst keeping weight down, also leaving room for imagination to complete the model,
and getting it finished in time for the next indoor meeting in a few weeks!

Jon
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 04:21:42 PM »

Radiator complete.

Tail parts made, and wings now underway, but the Peck kit has some strange anomolies:

The tips are lasered from 1/8, which is really heavy, so made my own from med/light 1/16.
The laser-cut ribs look superficially lovely and convenient, with just a few mounting-nibs and mild burning to sand off,
But they were patently over-long!

My solution was to align them in a stack with some scrap 1/16 in the top notches, then hack a bit off either end to fit the plan-length.
Of course they probably still have a slightly over-high chord, but pressing on with them as are!
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 10:01:05 AM »

You might want to dig out a ruler and check a few measurements on the plan.  Wingspan plus the span of each panel, plan-view wing chord x-checked with the side view are a couple of measurements to definitely check.  Plans have a tendency to shrink/expand or go awry over time and the number of times they've been reproduced.  Probably doesn't have much to do with the rather gross length of the ribs, but is a heads-up about other possible mismatches.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 04:10:39 PM »

Good steer, thanks Pit.

The box states 13" wingspan, the plans measure 12.6" - a 3% reduction.
The ribs are 4% longer than the plan length - which roughly stacks up.
The chord of the actual ribs is however 10% thicker than the side-view on the plan - how that might effect speed/lift I don't know...?

Also explains the problem I had with the radiator:
The 1/32 parts matched neither the plan nor the parts from 1/8 (which were also too thick).
They simply couldn't assemble together, so I started again with scrap wood.

As an intermediate modeller neither of these presented as insoluble issues.
But it shouldn't be 'rocket-science' for a model aeroplane kit company to consistently:
(a) print plans to the intended size (that assumes Mooney designed this to be 13"),
(b) laser-cut parts to match the supplied plans, on sheets of the intended thickness.

Moan over!  But I'll certainly always check the content dimensions of future kit builds... 'check twice, build once'.

Wings now together with 2/3rds of suggested dihedral.
Extra gussets to secure the top spar to the central rib, and complimentary half-moon tabs to take the struts (not shown on plan).
I've developed a habit of sanding gussets into a concave curve!  Shocked
Barely saves any weight but it should look nicer under tissue - and hopefully won't impact too much on the gusset's key purpose.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 02:45:11 PM »

The underneath bits:

Undercarriage needed a gluing-jig to align everything properly.
But the structure remained over-delicate to handle, so decided to fix to (shallow notches in) fuselage now and cover later in situ.

Wheels laminated, aluminium tube then lightly epoxied in centre, and roughed out ready for turning.
Tube overlong (with pin temporarily CA'd inside to stiffen and prevent tube from crushing in Dremel chuck).

But not happy with my efforts:
Dremel too fast even on lowest speed setting and tube not stiff enough to resist wobble when sanding file applied to it.
So waiting for a cheap mains rheostat to arrive from Amazon to slow it down.
Also intend to make a miniature lathe-jig, to which the flexible drive from the Dremel can be applied at one end, with a pin to hold it at the other.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:03:42 PM by Jack Plane » Logged
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 02:50:48 PM »

The vertical bit at the back.

I liked the convenience of a thin aluminium strip to hinge the rudder on a previous model (at least until the flight was trimmed),
so repeated its use here.

Delicate stuff 1/16, but managed to knife it proper.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 03:03:08 PM »

Archaeology:

Finally beginning to look like an aeroplane!  Smiley
The two upper rear fuselage stringers aren't supposed to remain broken - must add that to my snagging list!
The radiator filler neck is too high - snagging list getting longer...
Not 100% delighted with a few very slight errors, e.g. in alignment in the U/C - but snagging list now reserved for celebrities only!
Cabane struts are just dry-assembled at this stage so are a bit wonky, and main struts still pure strip-wood.

The mess of bones an' all weighs in at just under 13g.
My original target AUW was 14g (6 motor etc, 8 airframe), so that leaves about 1g for Esaki tissue and dope.
Ex Member

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 03:20:09 PM »

Nice work, I like the way you jiged up the undercart...

Andrew
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 03:21:25 PM »

Thanks Andrew.

A quiet evening dealing with deal-able issues:

Radiator filler neck cut back to size.
Fuselage rear decking stringers re-made.

But the main item worrying me was the starboard wing warp (inexplicable wash-in when it came off the plan),
which I've now steamed and wetted and bullied to dry the other way; will see what spring-back there is when its dry.
I'd rather wing frames started true before the vagaries of covering!

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »

Delicate stuff 1/16, but managed to knife it proper.

Man up Jack! ... I used 1/32" sq. on mine  Tongue Wink

Looking good though John .... as I've said before, I think I still have a third Pietenpol to do (I do have this kit). Love the Pietenpol.
Just make sure that you do have the downthrust built in!

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 05:50:18 PM »

Sorry ... Jon!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 03:10:56 AM »

Man up Jack! ... I used 1/32" sq. on mine  Tongue Wink

My manhood cannot be impuned...

I threw the scalpel from 10 paces!  Grin

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 03:44:52 AM »

Looking good though John .... as I've said before, I think I still have a third Pietenpol to do (I do have this kit). Love the Pietenpol.
Just make sure that you do have the downthrust built in!

Cheers Russ

At a rough protractor-on-screen guess, the shim I used for this early photo gives a downthrust of approaching 5 degrees.
Which more or less equates to the 4.5 down and 1.5 right given in the Dave Collins 28" plan,
Which is the one you made so beautifully, and which I'd love to do!

Jack the Scalpel  Cool
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 04:51:01 AM »

I should add that I mention the downthrust as a person that failed to add enough on both occasions ... I think back then I was in denial of such things!
That certainly looks enough  Smiley
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 05:54:02 AM »

I threw the scalpel from 10 paces!  Grin

"Bring on the 1/64" sq.!!...."
Jack Plane