Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 19, 2019, 11:35:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: John Barker's Hepcat  (Read 8330 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »

This is taking on an Aunt Essie Rhubarb pie dilemma, where she gave everyone the recipe last Thanksgiving, and is now snickering while everyone is scratching their heads.  I am in the nose bleed section watching you Brits noodle out the magic formulae!

The Threadkiller!
cvasecuk
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2017, 04:15:29 PM »

I don't like hooks etc on tailplanes; the poke holes in everything!
Ron
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 48

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2017, 05:59:50 PM »

Ready to go but it crashed onto the scales at 65g. I have used good wood, mylar/tissue fuselage and have no idea how I could get that down to the under 50g quoted. We'll see

Looks great Bill.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2017, 03:28:43 PM »

I just took it to the local park. With the cg correct it needed 1/16 tail TE packing. I swung the whole tail a fraction to get a wide left turn - is there any practical difference between this and a fin tab? Then 1/16 noseblock packing gave a right turn on 50 hand winds, so that's trimmed then.
cvasecuk
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »

For glide turn I prefer to keep the tailplane square and use a piece of 1/16 sq on one fin as a Gurney flap. Easily adjustable.
Ron
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 276

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »

Bill,
What a delightfully light touch you scale builders do develop: you must be a WoW with the ladies.  Old 'Cat' is getting on a bit now (born 1945 but don't tell her I said so) but under your caressing touch she seems like a dimple cheeked debutant in #124.

I suppose offsetting the whole tail unit will give a millionth of a gram less drag but like you I don't think a strip or a tab or the offset will make any difference.  Just remember to glue some keys on when trimmed.

John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

Topic starter
nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2017, 09:40:59 PM »

not to worry Bill...go with it but make sure it's straight...then you have a good starting point...it does require down and side thrust...I always build in down thrust to start out with and then mess around with side thrust...don't forget cg has a nasty way of changing all this and messes with yer head but that's why it's so much fun to wind this model up and fly it...all 3 of mine gave me so much fun it's a wonder why I fly anything else...the key to this model is, I think, the prop...the p/d worked out to 1.25 and just keeps pulling to the end of the run...I fold it on top of the fuselage so it doesn't flop out due to mis-siting of the screw...hasn't failed yet...
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2017, 03:33:46 AM »

I took my Hepcat to its first contest yesterday. Three straightforward maxes and then a flyoff which went badly wrong after about 30 seconds when it turned into hammerhead stalls in a thermal. Down in a minute. I don't know what caused it. I very much doubt if anything moved because it was all in place when I got to it. All I can think of is a big rubber bunch at the back. I wound it badly and there were knots at the front but not enough to explain the big stall if something similar occurred at the back.
I like the Hepcat. I have always flown te Raff V and like it as it's easy to keep the weight down, but it's a fat thing and I wondered what less drag would do. Only when I built the Hepcat did I notice it was smaller but it makes no difference. But I need to solve that stall.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »

Yep, rubber bunches do that...my Hepcat is 3 years old and getting tatty but still produces maxes...I braid the motor even though it is a folder and everything seems to stay in place...two other models I fly are the Cherokee and the Elite Petrel...both max hounds and go up like rockets...but for looks, Hepcat has it in spades.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2017, 01:46:04 PM »

Hmmm. I had thought about it and convinced myself the tail must have jumped and given itself 1/8"  extra negative, which would explain the BIG stalls which developed  suddenly 30 seconds in. I've never suffered from big bunches and the motor is quite thin so I'm having second thoughts on that. For some reason I used a thin (2lb) fishing line for the DT line so maybe it allowed the tail to jump. It was gusty.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2017, 05:55:01 PM »

I use fly fishing line BACKING for all D/T lines...it doesn't stretch and is supple but feel it first because some of them on the market feel waxy and set in a kink...I haven't used mono in a long time and in the heat, it does stretch...I don't put the fuse at the back but instead I locate the fuse at the C/G and closer to me so I can light it easier and I try to keep whatever weight there is up front for a better nose moment for stall recovery...this is just a guess but it works for me...
cvasecuk
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2017, 05:20:40 AM »

If the tailplane had ridden up over the stop it increases the incidence and the model would have been seriously under elevated. It would have been in a steep dive. It has happened to my Hepcat several times!!!
Ron
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2017, 05:33:38 AM »

No, I suspect the back jumped up and the keying stop sat on top of the packing
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2017, 05:30:12 PM »

bd747...yep, that's a common bugaboo...I usually build in 1 degree minus in the stab mount on the older models to stop having to add packing but it has a lot to do with CG location too, I think...the NACA 6409/RAF32/DAVIS type airfoils are strange beasts and you never know how much incidence is ever needed...
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2019, 03:08:16 PM »

Hep Cat #5...this is the latest at 60 grams...yep, a little porkie...but it feels good and looks straight and I didn't pay particular attention to selecting wood...I did however matched wood to its use...I have seen the article in NFFS on it and I took exception to the wire hub and blades and stab fins so I build them to the Aero-Modeller plan...sorry John...the plan I drew and use is as close to the AM plan as I can get...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: John Barker's Hepcat
Jastafuhrer 13
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2019, 03:53:01 PM »

Hi folks,

I'm starting to build a Hep Cat. My printer wouldn't tile print so I printed them to fit 11x17 paper, then enlarged them while I photocopied them, but I'm not sure whether my plans scaled correctly. Wing is 30“ in the plan view, fuselage is 28 1/8" long minus the nose block, and the stabilizer is 15" including the fins. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 238

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2019, 03:59:33 PM »

Very nice Hepcat.

I was wondering for those of us that have difficulty with folding prop mechanisms, can you put one of those gray plastic props on it, and still have it fly fairly well.  The reason I ask is that I have the bones for my Hepcat, but haven't finished it because I really am not good with folders.  CaleyAnn

What's stall speed?  Undecided
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 277

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2019, 04:32:30 PM »

Good to see you back with us Caley !

As contest flying is not your main purpose a plastic freewheel would fly it nicely for sport purposes  but I'd suggest you get  one  of the 12' ones. Largest grey one is P30 size which would still likely fly it quite well,

Thought...... do you still have that old Senator prop from years ago?  With new noseblock might serve the purpose, if not too heavy.

Again ...  welcome back !  Hope health things going better for you now.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2019, 04:37:06 PM »

Jasta - you're good to go !
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 238

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2019, 06:44:28 PM »

Hi Jim,

Not sure how much I will be here, but yes, I would love to be back if my health problems ever stop.

I think I have a few of those heavy 12 inch plastic props laying around somewhere.  I just need to rummage through the everything room to find one. 

Still waiting to see if I get cracked open to fix my heart trouble, or if they can do it a simpler way  CaleyAnn

What's stall speed?  Undecided
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 177

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2019, 07:17:02 PM »

Good to see you back here Caley - it was a little quiet with out your rainbow decorated models Smiley
Best of luck with your heart problems.

John
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2019, 07:48:08 PM »

If the old KeilKraft 12" they're not only heavy but low pitched.

I've seen a more modern 12" advertised on other forums which would likely be a better choice.  Perhaps a Volare product?   Maybe someone can advise?

DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2019, 07:57:29 PM »

Volare it is:
https://volareproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=56_42_54&products_id=722&zenid=b3ie6q4ccd36bvqj6rrgdu3047

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »

Crash...don't be put off with the plywood hub, they make great props ...when I mate up the prop blank to the hub assembly, I use paper shims on each side so I know they will fold smoothly, then remove the shims after assembly...the number one rule is to drill the center hole using a drill press...either a 1/16" I.D piece of aluminum or a nose button for the front end but I suspect you know all this after seeing you fly at Geneseo...I'm very sorry to hear you are having heart problems and I hope you get that cleared up soon
Jastafuhrer 13
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2019, 10:01:17 AM »

My wing is all framed up. I added some light 1/32 sheeting on the center bays. Weight is 10g. I noticed the wing and stabilizer incidence lines are parallel to the datum line through the fuselage on the modern redrawn plan. John's notes concerning the old plan said the front parasol struts were supposed to be 2 29/32“ tall, and the rest struts 3 1/32" tall for a 1/8" incline. Measured on the old plan this is approximately +2°. Any idea why the new plan would be drawn at zero? Thanks
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: