Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 22, 2019, 05:49:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VMC cookup?  (Read 21071 times)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 05:00:37 PM »

Hi Ricky!

Yes it has and I am very impressed. Expensive, but worth every penny given the work that must have gone into it.

I need to do the Tiggie first, but this won't be long...

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 04:39:48 PM »

Christmas Day tomorrow! If the promised Camel kit is in my stocking, all else will be put on hold and I will be starting ASAP! Anybody made any progress yet?

Cheers,

Dan.
Mefot
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »

Dan

Good luck for the Camel and Merry Christmas for tomorrow.

I think this cook-up doesn't start until the first of January ( see post #1 ).

I am chomping at the bit here !!!  Shocked
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2016, 03:57:27 PM »

The promised Camel arrived under the tree today! I've had a good look and will be starting on the first. I don't think I'm allowed until then!

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2016, 04:34:52 PM »

I'd somehow got the idea that Andrew had cheated and added dihedral on the top wing. I'm very pleased it's flat as a Camel's should be! I may think differently when I come to trim it, but Andrew's certainly goes well!

Can't wait to get cracking!

Dan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2016, 06:55:04 AM »

A minor drawback on the Camel front here: my eagerly unwrapped present from Carole turned out to be a Replikit kK Camel from VMC, rather than the new Darby designed one! Entirely my fault for not being more specific. Hopefully they'll exchange it. I'm doing the SE5A first in any case.
Ex Member

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2016, 07:39:58 AM »

No dihedral on the top wing Dan. However I have to admit that the prototype developed a tiny bit all on its own due to tissue shrinkage!  It is pretty stable though.

The folks at VMC are nice guys Pete (despite their criminal looking mug shots in the January Aeromodeller!  Grin Grin Grin) just give them a bell, I think that they are back in the office on the 3rd of January...

Talking about Aeromodeller, I enjoyed reading your piece about you and your dad...

Andrew
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2016, 09:59:11 AM »

Santa didn't hear my call ... story of my life I suppose.  Roll Eyes

I'll just watch still ... maybe with a tear in my eye ...
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2016, 12:54:15 PM »

I have to confess that I couldn't wait and have started my Camel!  It will take me a while to re-plumb the Brown MJ70 that I'm intending to use for power, so I don't feel TOO bad.

Cheers,

Dan.
ffscale
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2016, 06:13:24 AM »

Santa brought me a VMC Camel, which was delighted with.  Lovely kit, and really nice wood.  Do you know where it's sourced from Andrew?  They could set up a sideline selling the sheet on its own I reckon!

So, count me in for the cookup, but I think with the Tiger Moth - difficult to decide between the two, but I found a very colourful Swedish Tiggie trainer scheme that I've just got to do.  The Camel will have to wait  Smiley

Mike S
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VMC cookup?
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »

Just on time for christmas, my package from VMC arrived.
I already thought that it might be lost on the way....
The package looks like a cow had it in its mouth. (Maybe only someting swiss people say, but you know what I mean...)
Anyway, that parts inside the box are alright. So I am looking forward to start soon.

AeromodeLISTA, sorry to hear that you are "only" watching Sad

Dan, you cheated?!? Shocked     Grin

Mike, great to have you on board. I like the colourful swedish scheme Grin

Roman
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »

I didn't cheat! Nothing is glued together yet. I've just had a good session or two of poring over the plans and thinking things through. On reflection, one of my Telcos would be a better fit than the Brown I was intending to use, given the Telco's shorter overall length. I have a couple of earlier ones with the knurled speed control, which were reputedly set up by hand and were much better than the later ones, which could be inconsistent.

Back soon!

Dan.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2016, 03:50:57 PM »

Do those motors equate to the GM63 roughly,  Dan?
I build up this knowledge ... then it slowly slips away again!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 04:00:38 PM »

Yes Russ. The GM63 even shares the same mounting holes with the Telco, if I'm not mistaken. I have a GM63BB, but the Telco seems a better fit for this.

Cheers,

Dan
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 02:52:20 PM »

Jodel

Oh, I've just realised its OUTDOOR...

In which case its has to be my yet-to-be-built 2015 Christmas pressie for rubber... u/c up and in pink reconnaissance colours!

Cheesy
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017, 08:07:10 AM »

The cookup hast officially started!
Open the box and start building Cheesy
Looking forward to see the first bits glued together...
Roman
Mefot
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2017, 09:37:25 AM »

Well the weather is a bit too good for building but after spending the morning trimming a little CLG I thought I would throw a bit of balsa at the board. I must second what other people have said about the quality of the wood. It is first rate, and certainly not available at any LHS I've ever visited. If it ever becomes available to order I might get crushed in the rush !!!

Happy New Year Everybody  Smiley
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2017, 11:50:15 AM »

Mefot, hope you were successful with the trimming. It looks nice!
Are the clear pin disk self made?

I also started with the stabilizer and rudder. Its unusual for me, I normaly start with the fuselage... But hey, its a new year so why not start it the other way Grin
I still dont know what colours I will choose for this bird, but I still have some time...

Roman
Ex Member

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2017, 12:07:53 PM »

Hi Chaps,

Nervously watching this one!

In answer to your (much earlier) question Mike and your later question Mefot - I am not entirely sure, they have struggled determinedly to get the good wood, and they do try very hard to get it by searching out as many sources as they can.  I think that it helps that the sheets are graded for purpose and often the sheets with the jigs (for the bipes) allow them to use up heavy stock, as I put the nose parts onto those sheets too.  Yvonne (who you may have seen in the Aeromodeller article) does a good job of sorting and selecting it too..

Andrew

ffscale
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2017, 01:38:50 PM »

My Tiggie is underway too - these kits do come together really quickly - fit of all the parts in the upper wings was perfect.  Very satisfying.

Excellent instructions too - I forced myself to read the booklet rather than charging ahead as I usually do!

Mike S
Mefot
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2017, 02:58:22 PM »

The trimming went well Roman. I only stopped because my hands were turning blue from the cold !!!

The discs are indeed home made. I used a hole punch to cut them out of Pringles can tops.

No need to be nervous Andrew. I think everyone agrees that these kits are excellent  Smiley

Nice work Mike. Looking forward to seeing your Tiggie when it's painted.

Managed to glue the laminated parts together. The photo shows four of the five noseblock laminations glued up and held together with clothes pegs.I used the nose button to jig them together.l'll glue the fifth piece on as soon as I get it back off the cat !!!

I'm using the glue supplied with the kit  and it is nice to work with. The bottle is easy to use,dispensing just the right amount as needed.
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2017, 11:08:23 AM »

The discs are indeed home made. I used a hole punch to cut them out of Pringles can tops.

Wow, thanks thats a great tip. I have to make some of them since I think that black ones arent made / sold anymore... Your way seems to be easy and cheap to produce them your self Grin

Roman
Mefot
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2017, 03:42:27 PM »

Forgot to mention yesterday the kit comes with three sheets of balsa containing all the components,including the strip wood. There are one "hard" sheet and two "soft" sheets. The "hard" sheet weighed in at 8½# and the "soft" sheets at 6½#. Has anybody mentioned how good the wood is ?

Made a bit of progress today and started the fuselage. It will soon be time to decide on a colour scheme. I'm not sure what that will be yet,but I know it won't be black,white,or pink !!! Grin
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 278

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »

I have only had my magnetic board a very few months and yet looking at the photographs in #41,#42 and #43 with their forests of pins is like looking at pictures of modellers in the 1920s with the spruce and bamboo being joined with thread and 'Seccotine' and little nails.  I am not trying to be at all critical, just noticing how we do get step changes in modelling from time to time.  Indeed it would appear that in a few months all small scale nodels will be made with craft cutters and nails, pins and magnets will all be 'old hat'.
John   

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2017, 06:11:25 AM »

Mefot, dont make a pink Spitfire... It would hurt my eyes... I am quite open to colour schemes, but pink....?!

John, I've heard about the magnet boards for building. Never tried it. I just like to do it the old way Smiley

Roman
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: