Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 07:53:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: More craft cutter fun with three Cleveland E-Zee series jet reproductons  (Read 268 times)
PaulBrad
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2016, 02:28:05 PM »

I continue to learn and use my recently acquired craft cutter. Following the lead of Tony Ross and things I learned when doing the Cleveland Quicky F-86 reproduction, I have been able to cut and build the three jet models in the Cleveland E-Zee series. The models in that series are smaller than the Quicky models. The three jets have wing spans in the 8" to 12" range as opposed to the 18" span of the Quicky sheet balsa models. The smaller models mean the parts are smaller as well. While I could certainly cut the parts by hand, my desire to develop reproductions of the three models mentioned seemed like a perfect opportunity to further learn about the use of a craft cutter for cutting balsa model airplane parts.

The very nice builds by Tony Ross (DR-1) and Don McLellan (GB-X) both use parts cut with a craft cutter. Being smaller models, the builds demonstrated the capabilities of a craft cutter to handle small parts. Armed with that knowledge I set about cutting the parts for my three E-Zee jet reproduction models. There is a learning curve with this tool like any other tool, and the lessons I had learned to date paid off nicely with the E-Zee models. I am quite happy with the parts that were cut from 6 lb 1/32" balsa.

As was the case with my Cleveland Quicky F-86 project, the parts for the E-Zee models were cut using the craft cutter but not removed from the sheets. Once cut the sheets containing the cut parts were run through my ink jet printer to have all of the color and markings applied. I was able to achieve very good registration by using cut outs on each end of the balsa sheets that were made during the part cutting process. The registration cuts are then lined up with a backing sheet that has location markings printed on the sheet. The backing sheet has a light application of spray adhesive to hold the balsa while it is feed through the printer.

The three Cleveland E-Zee series models completed are the F-88 Thunderstreak, F-86 Sabre, and the F-88 (the F-101 Voodoo prototype). A photo of each model is provide for your reference. The canopies for each model were vacuum formed using molds created with my low end 3D printer. The small 1/2" wheels on each model were also 3D printed. The drawing packages, canopy mold 3D model, and wheel 3D model for each reproduction are available from my web site for free download. Go to parmodels.com and then to the downloadable plans section.

Paul Bradley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
More craft cutter fun with three Cleveland E-Zee series jet reproductons
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 03:29:13 PM »

Nice going, Paul.  Its so refreshing pushing the boundaries of these craft cutters
and seeing the gems that you guys have created.  I can only imagine what will be
coming next. Well done!

Skyraider
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: