Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 20, 2019, 01:41:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Avetek Pilatus PC9  (Read 9470 times)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »

Granted it would still go a lot better without the appendages!

Don't know - I remember being told way back with a Hurricane that the wheels should be fitted as the low slung weight would give a bit of stability -- which it did but was still pretty crazy in flight. That was in the days when dihedral was considered essential.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 03:48:16 PM »

You could be right - a bit of pendulum might be helpful to balance that big heavy canopy up top!
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 127

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2016, 07:10:47 PM »

I plan to set up my gear as plug-in.  More for display reasons, but if the pup flies reasonably well outdoors - and is not TOO heavy, then I'll try it indoors with gear.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 12:48:11 AM »

Today's progress is the tailplane and elevator.  Fin and rudder currently on the board so we're nearly there.  The original Airsail construction was 1/4 x 1/16 outlines - This adds no real strength but 3 times the weight.  I've re-engineered it to use no more wood,  but constructed it in 3/32 x 16 which has allowed a 3/32 deep spar at the high point and a nod towards a scale section.  I also have an allowance for the extra spar to create a separate elevator which will aid trimming as will he separate rudder currently on the board   Weight as you see it here is sitting at 20g.  Sorry to harp on about the weight thing but the exercise here was to lower the wing loading (it doesn't have a whole lot of wing).
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Avetek Pilatus PC9
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 02:12:28 AM »

Beautiful work Mike.  Exceptionally interesting model.

Don
Tommy Wee
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 04:26:35 AM »

Excellent work. Nice proportions for a flying scale rubber model, rubber around centered on C of G.

Tommy

A builder of some, a master of none.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 05:43:45 AM »

Thanks team - here's the final update for tonight.  Fin and rudder off the board fettled and rough sanded - not yet profiled.  That's one nice looking aeroplane.  I plan to finish it as a Beechcraft T6C Texan in RNZAF Black Falcon colours
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 10:16:14 AM »

The hinges look very interesting. What are they made of and how do they work?
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 12:07:16 PM »

Sorry to disappoint Tom - the 'hinges' are in fact just strips of masking tape holding it together for the mock-up photos!  The actual hinges will be fuse wire.  For what it's worth my practice is to drill holes (a firm fit) for the wire.  I cyano the wire into one surface before covering.  I then push the control surface into the other mating surface and run a bead of RC56 canopy glue down the join.  This holds the 2 surfaces together while at the same time being a flexible glue allowing easy adjustment
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 07:35:02 PM »

The addition of the RC-56 is pure genius. Can you get away with doing just a couple of spots of glue over the wire or does it need a long line? I'm working on a stab right now and can't wait to try it. Many thanks!
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 07:47:14 PM »

Happy to be able to contribute something!.  Tom I have always run the bead right along for maximum adhesion.  Being RC56 it has several great properties.  First it wicks into the groove between the surfaces sucks right along the join.  Second it dries clear and third, it dries light when all the water content evaporates
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2016, 11:05:10 PM »

Latest progress with the undercarriage installed and a prop / spinner and hook assembly mocked up.  Pretty happy with the weight - as you see it here it's 28g and fairly nose heavy.  I haven't worked the prop yet but will take a couple of grams out there at least.  Also may be able to take another couple of grams out of the canopy if I form another one in lighter plastic.

If covering and colour were to add even 20g we're still under 50 but I'm picking we'll be closer to 40g.  Very happy!
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2016, 02:36:49 AM »

That's a very handsome looking model.  Very nice indeed.

Andrew

Klunk
Work In Progress
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2016, 01:14:58 PM »

Very pretty indeed. Will this and the rest of the small Airsail kits be going into production again? I have a Tomahawk and the Auster kits (though I seem to have mislaid the plan for the Auster somewhere) and would be very happy to complete the collection.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2016, 01:42:05 PM »

These kit are still available from Avetek directly and are now being improved over a period of time as you see from Mikes efforts.
Ricky
Avalanche
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2016, 02:00:32 PM »

Work in Progress - if you email me a postal address, I will be happy to send you a plan - [email protected]

regards, Gwyn
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2016, 03:51:16 AM »

Apparently this thread has already inspired one of our brethren in Florida to order an Avetek PC9 - fantastic news.  Gwyn suggested some pictures of a few of the other little mods might be of interest to people building one - especially if they are building and modifying one of the old kits. 

First up shows the cockpit area - you can see that I have removed the central keel.  I looked at that for a while and realised that once the stringers were on it added no strength and was really just a passenger - gone with it!  You will also see the 1/16 square across the top of former 5 (also done on the other 2 cockpit formers) 

Second is my patent diagonal bracing at former 8.  After I eviscerated the rear formers they were a little weak - (one of my suggestions to Avetek is that each former half be cut in 3 neatly interlocking sections with grain optimized)  Former 8 proved to be the key and that bracing made it all very rigid again. 

Next up is the main undercarriage.  As designed this was bound with thread to the bottom of the lower spar.  I cut a slot in the lower spar and mounted the U/C above the lower spar in a 1/16 OD aluminium tube.  The slot where the gear emerges (and the cut lower spar) is reinforced by a 0.6mm ply doubler let in to the underside of the wing.  You can also see the ply scab that locks the torsion bar against the rib.  The gear is free to rotate backwards in the slot

Finally here are the exhaust outlets which are each 2 ABS halves glued fettled and sanded
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2016, 04:47:53 AM »

Mike, are the 'scallops' laser cut into the formers? Looks like you did it yourself.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2016, 04:52:33 AM »

No not laser cut. Just the old dowel and sandpaper lark
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2016, 06:01:43 AM »

And the stringers - are they set into the notches on the diagonal?  Sorry contact lenses may need cleaning!  Not sure if I have seen it before.  It looks very light!! Embarrassed Embarrassed
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »

No the diagonal bracing is just bevelled against the keels and glued against the face of the former.  The stringers are notched and then scalloped.  David you made a comment earlier on about a debate as to whether or not stringers should be notched.

I think that as with many things there is no right or wrong here - only preference and opinion.  If I were building this model again (as I may do) I would be inclined to build laminated formers and set them all up in a jig.  1/16 square stringers all round and plenty of them - no keels, no notches. (Check out the Bristol Brigand build on this forum for inspiration!) I've never been a big fan of kit notches as I  have had so many where the notches were way off the mark. 

I used the notches on this model as I was proving the formers for the kit but usually if building from a kit with notches I would mark the position of the stringer at the bottom of each notch and then trim the formers down to the level of the bottom of the notches all around

Once the tissue is on I don't think there is any real risk of the stringers moving
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2016, 12:21:49 AM »

You may have been wondering how the nose block was going to work so here it is.  The circular plug is what gets removed for winding and allows the ingress of a decent blast tube.  It has a keyway which indexes on a hardwood key glued inside the tube.    The square block will be drilled for the bearing.  This is an interference fit in the circular block and can be removed to be relieved and shimmed as required for thrust adjustments.

The second picture shows the rear of the plug  The slot allows the prop hook through the back of the block without having the whole assembly arrive at the rear peg at a hell of a hurry!!

The last picture shows the square block in position.  It is below the nose block so that all the various accoutrements (thrust bearing and freewheel) are hidden and don't push that beautiful spinner out too far.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2016, 08:13:46 AM »

Thanks for those thoughts on stringers and notches Mike.  I am much of the same view. Admittedly my preference for no notches stems from the old KK kits built as a kid and finding they were a nuisance generally.  So I cheated and just stuck them on.  Don't recall any detriment to appearance or otherwise.  But it did not occur to me to reduce the former in size!  Oh dear, I wonder if Messrs Dean and Hatfull can forgive me?  Ruining the authenticity.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »

Morning all.  There will be a brief hiatus on this thread while we deal with Christmas and then I have 10 days at Scout Jamboree with 4500 kids!  To all the usual suspects out there a very merry Christmas or whatever you choose to celebrate.  Thankyou everyone for the knowledge and humour shared during the year.  Being a part of the community has certainly been a highlight for me this year.  Regards, Mike
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2016, 04:56:27 PM »

Well do have fun and your good wishes are heartily reciprocated.  I am again impressed by your continuity and  the committment to the workbench.

And I hope the jamboree goes well because it is a great movement.  That it survives and grows in the society we have today continually gives me confidence that the world of PC and mania for levelling everything down will not win.  The characters that emerge from the scout movement will ensure that. 4500 kids?. Mayb, but they are real kids! So it should be fun.  Even if a tint of masochism is a benefit. Wink Smiley

Best to all then down there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: