Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 10:23:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Avetek Pilatus PC9  (Read 9923 times)
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2016, 01:39:53 PM »

One of the kits that Avetek took over from the old Airsail business was a rubber powered Pilatus PC9.  It's actually a much bigger model than it's 21' span would imply, the full size PC9 having a relatively short span.  As a scale subject the PC9 has a lot going for it, including some wicked full size colour schemes.  The Airsail kit was die crushed and had a lot more wood in it than necessary.  I'm currently working with Gwyn to revise the kit for re-issue in laser cut form.  My main concern is to get the wing loading down.    My prototype fuselage is currently sitting at 6g - so far so good
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Avetek Pilatus PC9
Avetek Pilatus PC9
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 03:07:40 PM »

Beautiful.  Pretty sharp curve behind the cockpit.  How will you cover that?  Yikes!
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »

There is another sub stringer to go outboard of the sharply radiused one which will help, but it will cover just fine - watch this space!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 03:43:49 PM »

6g?....  I would get your scales checked if I were you.  Or have you got some of this helium impregnated balsa?

Seriously though I like the construction and it does indeed look very neat and I can well believe that weight. 

Very envious of your stamina as I have not yet even taken the Tiger Moth out the packet (don't tell Ricky).
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 03:47:42 PM »

Did want to have to do this! Grin
Re: Avetek Pilatus PC9
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 03:52:16 AM »

Here she is with the final stringers in and with nose and canopy trial fitted and mocked up - why don't we see more of these - they're a very sexy beast.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 04:39:02 AM »

Looks good Mike. Which way does it go?
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 08:34:03 AM »

I have an AIRSAIL version in the bones state (has been that way for the past four years or so... Roll Eyes and sat around for ten years prior).  Parts were machine cut so it must have been one of the last runs.  I'm not sure what my fuselage weighed at the 'unfilled' stage, but it weighs 11.2g as shown.  Are you going to use the plastic cowl or carve a wood one (the plastic one DOES fit rather nicely)?

I probably won't get back to it till the end of the month, but I'll definitely be following your build!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:04:28 AM by Pit » Logged

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
ffscale
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 10:14:41 AM »

Nice looking Model Mike and I’m impressed with the weight. 

I’ve built the Turbo Porter (a fine flyer) and have the Airtrainer and Tomahawk kits in the stash.  Nice designs, if in need of a bit of lightening.  The large canopies in both kits are particularly fine mouldings, though therein lies a story.  I bought the Airtrainer via Ebay and the chap I bought it from thought wrapping the box in brown paper would allow it to survive the delivery process.  Needless to say, the canopy was squashed flat when the rather mangled box arrived.  So, I wrote a note to Airsail and asked if I could buy a new canopy from them.  A few days later they sent me one free of charge and beautifully packed.  Fantastic customer service – what a splendid gesture.   

I would think laser cut, lightened versions of the Airsail kits would be popular.

Mike S
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 10:29:04 AM »

Yes OK Mike but you have carefully excluded the whole framework in the picture which is no doubt supported out of shot! Cheesy Wink

Pete I am encouraged by your framework at 11g. because I am plodding through a Mike Midkife Alby DIII and have sheeted the fuselage (because I felt like it) and that is presently 8.7g with nose block (sans 'ook).

But very neat builds both of you. Look forward to more progress.

strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 11:53:04 AM »

I like how you treated the tail.  Did you make that out of two blocks that were hollowed out?
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 03:20:49 PM »

Yes Strat O the tail cone is exactly as you describe. I used my deadest block and hollowed it out to nothing. The original Airsail design has stringers going right back but I think this is a lot more convincing.   Pit and Mike S. I wonder what the carbon footprint is of the balsa in these kits that goes from Ecuador to NZ then back to Europe possibly via the US!!
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 03:26:17 PM »

Pit  In answer to your question I was planning a carved nose but last night Gwyn and I moulded one in much lighter ABS than the old Airsail product and it's so nice I will use it. Having said that I have a cunning plan to incorporate the plastic nose in a decent structure that will allow a blast tube and proper thrust adjustments. Pit I have previously had success in retro gutting fuselages like your Airsail PC9. I use piece of 10mm dowel about 30mm long with sandpaper glued to it and this glued to the side of a length of 6mm square spruce so that it is offset. A careful 30 minutes of happy time will see all your formers nicely Jenny Craig'ed!!
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 04:14:00 AM »

Meant to post this earlier which shows the carved and hollowed block tail cone to advantage
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 03:43:08 AM »

A little more progress to report.  Pit's suggestion to put some infill around the nose is a good one so I've started on that.  I'll also do the bottom section of the next bay back and underneath to reinforce the front undercarriage leg area.

The undercarriage leg has 2 torsion loops and goes down through the lower keel.  On the Airsail design it is actually shown descending to one side of the keel - I have cut the keel away and put a scab of 0.8mm ply on either side, making a nice strong box for it to rotate backwards in.

This and the nose sheeting are the only slightly time consuming bits - wings and tail feathers will go together very quickly
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 06:06:51 AM »

More progress today - I decided to use the plastic nose supplied with the Avetek kit but with a cunning plan of my own to allow a proper nose block insert and the passage of a decent size blast tube.  The 1/16 balsa tube is a perfect fit between the back of the plastic moulding and the firewall former.  I also managed to cut a tiny rebate in the nose former so that the plastic moulding slips over it and is flush with the sheeting rather than raised.  It's just sitting there in the picture but it closes up properly and there will be no gap at all when glued - very light nose assembly

Next up is the torsion sprung nose gear - you can work it out from the photo

Finally more cunning in the back end.  Rear peg and mounts in place, and top tailcone fairing - crrved and hollowed out - very light
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 08:39:59 AM »

Masterly!  And useful thank you. I notice to you have scalloped the formers between the stringers which is a nice touch.

Have often been in debates about whether to simply attach the stringers to,the formers or put them slots but always felt the latter is   the best way, with the scallops.
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 08:57:59 AM »

Beautiful woodwork!  I particularly like the way you faired the plastic cowl smoothly into the sheeting - I've never been happy with integration of plastic parts on my models.  The way you've done it should make it look really seamless.

Mike
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 04:14:50 AM »

Well, this is as far as I got this weekend even with She-Who-Must-Be Obeyed away in Australia for the weekend.  The nose is now glued on and sanded fair, and the wing centre section built.  The nose former has a piece of 0.5mm ply doubler a couple of pieces of firm1/8 x 1/16 glued on edge vertically either side of the balsa tube help protect against shock loads!  Weight still looks OK. As you see it there with the nose unit, front U/C, canopy and aluminium rear peg in, she's sitting on 15 grams
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 04:23:39 AM »

Lovely!!

Dan.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 09:49:07 AM »

Careful - you are going on my Alby! 

Have you considered tissue over Mylar? A chum of mine says it is alledgedly lighter than tissue because you need fewer coates of dope.  Bit difficult to be sure I would think because you would  need to have two identical structures etc.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 04:28:58 AM »

Wings now built and rough sanded - main U/C Nose block prop and tail unit to go.  Kitchen scales say 19g, Reloading scales say 18.79g so that tallies.  3.5g of that is that huge canopy - I'll try moulding a thinner one - 3.5g is a lot on a model this size - half a peanut just in the canopy!  Finished weight should be around 50g - if we said another 20g for covering tail group and nose assembly and up to 10g for paint and finishing.  Hopefully under that but it will fly OK at 50g
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 04:54:11 AM »

3.5g is a lot on a model this size - half a peanut just in the canopy! 
Not one of my Peanuts.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 09:17:34 AM »

Just curious, but did you make the landing gear removable?

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 11:59:20 AM »

The short answer is no, the front gear is fixed and so the main gear will also be.  Over here our scale flying is aligned to the British style, with more emphasis on scale fidelity and realism of flight than on duration.  ROGs are therefore encouraged.  I also decided that as this was for the purposes of tweaking the kit I would build it as intended generally.

I have however made some small changes such as lightening the gauge of wire used and thinning the wheels to a more scale thickness than those originally provided by Airsail and moulding them in much lighter plastic.

Granted it would still go a lot better without the appendages!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: