Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 07:33:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Curtiss SOC3C-1  (Read 1578 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2016, 03:54:05 PM »

Catchy name! I'm doing the Earl Stahl design from the Flyline kit which cites the colours as yellow flying surfaces/grey fuselage, but I can't find any evidence for this on the interweb. Grey all over seems the norm, with maybe grey/green British. I know nothing about this aeroplane; can anyone suggest a better scheme? I like the idea of yellow/grey
thanks
Bill
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:20:54 PM »

Wings Palette had this profile of the grey and yellow wings bird.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Curtiss SOC3C-1

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »

Thank you - just the wings are yellow, then, and top only.
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 03:22:50 PM »

Maybe the yellow wings reference is referring to the before-the-war scheme of yellow wings on Navy planes.  I would almost believe yellow wing tips before I would believe yellow on top and gray on the bottom - that just seems strange.

Notice two things:  the wings palette image is for the XSO3C-1 prototype - a one-off.  In addition, this prototype was prior to the canted wing tips and extended fin being added.  There are a couple of photos of XSO3C-1 online and none of them conclusively show any coloring on the wing that is different than the fuselage.

Just my thoughts.

--george

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 03:26:22 PM »

George, thanks. I haven't a clue and am in the hands of our US friends here. But didn't a lot of US planes have completely yellow-top wings?
Bill
Audax
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 04:03:28 PM »

Thank you - just the wings are yellow, then, and top only.

Beginning just a few years after WWI  right up to the end of '39 the USN standard paint job was aluminum for everything except the upper surface of the mainplane.  The top of the horizontal tail was included early on, but that requirement was dropped...although there were many aircraft that didn't comply with that bit.  The US Army painted the wings of their aircraft yellow on both surfaces.  That's lead to some confusion by modelers. 

The Seamew first flew near the end of '39 so it probably had the prewar yellow top wing.  Production aircraft didn't start arriving until after the paint orders changed so they would have all the varieties of USN camouflage that showed up from that point, plus the British camouflage that went with the ships supplied to the Royal Navy. 

Plenty of color schemes to choose from, but not much with yellow wings. 

Rich
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 06:23:39 PM »

Thanks Rich - I was unaware (obvi).

--george

Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 10:06:31 PM »

Pre war Navy planes used chrome yellow on the upper surface of the wings.  All fabric covered areas were done in aluminum dope.  All metal areas done in Navy Grey (light grey).

Pat Daily USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Ausmodeller
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 03:49:52 AM »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the yellow upper surfaces made it easier to spot an aircraft that had ditched at sea.
Gary
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 75

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 02:06:45 PM »

If doing searches on the internet for photos, it would probably be helpful to call it a SO3C-1 instead of SOC3C-1.   Actually, the silver and yellow bird would be the XSO3C-1 (Experimental, Scout, Observation, 3rd design, Curtiss) which has a number of differences from the production machines.  The color profile in reply #1 has the designation call-out on the rudder incorrect.

Mark
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 05:05:05 AM »

If doing searches on the internet for photos, it would probably be helpful to call it a SO3C-1 instead of SOC3C-1.   Actually, the silver and yellow bird would be the XSO3C-1 (Experimental, Scout, Observation, 3rd design, Curtiss) which has a number of differences from the production machines.  The color profile in reply #1 has the designation call-out on the rudder incorrect.

Thanks Mark - my mistake. The extra 'C' gives you pictures of Tony Curtiss, a rapper and a woman in a wedding dress.
Just think, if this machine had flown in the B of B, by the time the Germans had got out "Achtung! SO3C-1" instead of "Spitfire" they'd all have been shot down.
As is often the case, I have changed tack and am currently spraying it in British colours - slightly more varied than grey.
Thanks to all for your input.
Bill
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 85

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 09:46:47 PM »

Bill,

May be too late for this, but I have some 3-views of the British scheme on this plane in an old issue of Scale Aircraft Modeler - I can scan and e-mail them to you if they would be useful.

Mike
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 03:16:35 AM »

Mike
If you can do it today that would be great. At present it is grey and I don't have any info on the green pattern. Today I spray, come what may!
Bill
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 06:52:19 AM »

Bill,

PM the email address you'd like me to send them to and I'll scan and send them as soon as I get the kids off to school.

Mike
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 09:12:20 AM »

Bill,

Scanned and sent.

Mike
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 04:11:57 PM »

Nearly done but a short hiatus while I wait for a pilot, then it's just the glazing and sticking it all together. The camouflage is very effective - I screwed up the fin with all the masking paper and threw it away. I really enjoyed this model - the designer shows great promise.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 06:38:49 PM »

How do you find the time to build so fast?? By the time I get home, eat etc., I'm lucky to get one glue joint in before I go to bed!

Looking good, though...

Dan.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 04:28:21 AM »

How do you find the time to build so fast??
Hi Dan. It's being retired and having a wife who eggs me on. But also, when you get to a certain age, you realise that ever-lengthening list of projects might not all get done! I've even started using my 'best wood'.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 03:45:50 PM »

It's all together now, just the front cabin. It's going to need some tail weight.
Experts please - I put this Ikara 9 1/2" prop on but it looks a little big, although the blades are narrow. Span is 24" - should I trim it down a little? (and then paint it silver)
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »

Bill I'm no expert in anything let alone this, but if it were me I'd be inclined to trim a half inch off each side.  Rule of thumb would be 8" for a 24" model but 8 1/2 should be OK without affecting the average pitch too much.  If these are the props I'm thinking of they are very heavy compared with the Peck / Union item and it will absorb more energy than ideal just to turn it.  I'd be inclined to thin it out a lot if it's as heavy as I expect.  May also be a consideration with that long nose...
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 04:21:05 AM »

Thanks Mike. I'll trim it, then check final balance when finished. The prop is easily-changed.
Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: