Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 22, 2019, 11:16:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Turbo streak  (Read 692 times)
Mikek
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2017, 05:20:13 PM »

Just finished  a modified version of the Ebryo Streak. Extended the nose. Moved the rear peg one bay forward. Used 1/32 ribs instead of 1/16 as called for in plan. Made a pop up wing DT.

I call it Turbo Streak since it has a long nose like a turboprop!

Tried to make it as light as I could. AUW came out at a disappointing 28 g. Also, the nose is so long I had to add a bit of clay to the tail to balance it.

I did get it to fly OK today, but I think i’ll Shorten the nose to try to get it to balance without any tail weight.

In reviewing some contest results for Embryo’s it appears that the winners are all maxing out there flight times and then some. So I wonder if it is really worth it to have the wheel pants or 3D exhaust since you only get a few seconds for them. Seems to me it would be better to ditch then weight and go for flying time.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Turbo streak
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 11:10:12 PM »

Regarding Bonus Points and their value, if you fly without bonus points and max out, and another maxes out, but has bonus point, you just earn 2nd place.  The bonus points are added to the flight points for the final score.

Regarding the weight of such items, it is negligible and will not make or break your ability to max.

--george

lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »

"It is a source of national shame
that a single citizen should have to go
to bed unable to carve a propeller."
- dannysoar

http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpages/tips/propcarve.html

That will help with the nose heavy problem.

-----------
I'm also wondering just how much that prop clutch weighs.
Mikek
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 10:53:14 PM »

Thanks George and Lincoln!
I did shorten the nose and it flies better. Did think about using a balsa prop, which I’ll try next. Bought the prop clutch from George (Volare products). I haven’t weighed it but I don’t think it weighs much. It sure works great!
I’ve made some of the prop clutch’s that Chris Boehm has on you tube, but those have to be soldered to the shaft so i’ts a pain to change it out if you bend the prop shaft. The Volare ones have a set screw.

George, do you know how much they weigh?
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:57:37 PM »

I have two different versions (one in front of the prop, the other behind the prop).  Each weighs about 1 gram.

There are other types of clutches that you can make that weigh much less.

--george

Mikek
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 11:09:19 PM »

I like the one’s that go behind the prop. Makes it so easy to change the prop as you know.
Have made Nason clutches before which are certainly very light.

Mikek
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 10:09:01 AM »

Shortened the nose. Only requires a tiny bit of tail weight ( less than pea sized) now to balance. Maybe trying a balsa prop with a Nason clutch would balance without any tail weight.

With a 6g motor, AUW is 29g. Disappointing. May try to build one more version before moving on to another model. What’s the saying, “ build it as light as you can, then build it lighter”?

Managed to get a 1:15 flight on Saturday.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Turbo streak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: