Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2019, 03:45:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Turbulate or D box?  (Read 486 times)
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2016, 05:54:46 PM »

As my mind wanders about thoughts on FF power: Do the turbulator spars often found on these planes offer more efficiency than a D box with smooth LE ? In other words, do the turbulator spars do little more than keep the airfoil shape so the covering does not sag between ribs. Your thoughts would be appreciated. SLEEPY
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 06:53:22 PM »

The D-Box is for torsional rigidity.
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 09:00:55 AM »

I understand the D box is for  rigidity. My Question is in regards to the smooth LE surface of a D box TYPE of surface versas the multi "turbulator" spar type LE . If you had a D box wing would you add turbulator "threads" to it.
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 09:47:10 AM »

It depends on the airfoil used and the size/weight on the model (Reynolds number). Some airfoils would benefit from turbulators, and some might not need any.

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 11:22:47 AM »

I understand the D box is for  rigidity. My Question is in regards to the smooth LE surface of a D box TYPE of surface versas the multi "turbulator" spar type LE . If you had a D box wing would you add turbulator "threads" to it.

I don't.
I have done it but I don't notice a benefit.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »

It also depends where you want the benefit within the flight envelope. A smooth sheeted d-box and an accurate airfoil will probably improve high speed (ie penetrating or fast launch) but turbulating stringers may improve sink rate in the glide. This is definitely a noticeable effect on handlaunch gliders when I've added a strip turbulator.

Are we assuming equal weight for each? Obviously the lighter construction would have a better sink rate too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: