Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 18, 2019, 05:05:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: KK Caprice RC conversion  (Read 1959 times)
Jasco
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Aero ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »

Very nice craftsmanship! Ive really become interested in these vintage designs.  I like your idea of the power pod.  Where will the propeller swing? Looks like precious little room!
     I hope you can post some flight videos...whether it is triumph or failure.
      But seriously, what is that pinned to your wall???

Cutting open my thumbs since 1964.
Ouch
mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 08:25:56 AM »

Hi

No propeller ... it's a KP 24 EDF fan unit.  Should be able to get it up there higher than a good bungee or tow ... especially when there's no wind.

On the wall is the plans for a Veron Sabre ducted fan free flight model.  Do a search on the forum for 'ducted fan' ... there's lots of good info.  The wings are for my LoadedDice40 pattern model.  I drag it out and do a little bit now and then.  I've built plenty other RC models since starting this one 15 years ago but because its glassed and I need to take the plunge and get on with 2k spraying it ... I keep on putting it off.  Wings are nearly done ... but they are covered it Oracover.  Need to do the fuse in Oracolor ... which just about costs its weight in gold.

As for the glider ... I'm just waiting for the electronics to arrive and we should be good to go ... if the wind ever stops blowing in the UK!!

Mike
mick66
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 02:20:19 AM »

Hello

Forgot I started a thread on this so created a related one below ...

https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=24268.0

Probably best to keep replies on this original thread ...

I finally got around to flying this model and although it's not great it is a bit of fun.  It didn't have any penetration at all even in a light breeze as was predicted by other posters.  Is there anything that can be done to improve that at all?

Cheers

Mike
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:32:11 AM by mick66 » Logged
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 61

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 04:47:13 AM »

Glad to see you had some flying  Smiley

... It didn't have any penetration at all even in a light breeze as was predicted by other posters.  Is there anything that can be done to improve that at all?...

You could try ballasting but beware the structural implications of more inertia in a hard landing. This would give you a few miles an hour but at the expense of overall sink rate. The real problem is the airfoil which for a classic FF glider is designed without any thought for penetration - it only has to drift around at min sink.

Jon
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 04:31:08 AM »

Quite right. You're not going to go very fast with that airfoil unless you quadruple the weight or something. If you really need the speed, you need another wing. As it is, your wing loading is very light for an RC glider. I'd guess, for hi start flying, you'd want a thin airfoil without much camber.  Good advice on airfoils here:
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/drela-airfoilshop/markdrela-ag-ht-airfoils.htm
The existing tail might not be strong enough to go faster. If you rebuilt that, one of the HT airfoils might be in order. But after these changes it wouldn't be a KK Caprice anymore.

You can make things somewhat better if you put some covering across the bottom to make it flat. But it better be something that shrinks only weakly if you don't want to warp the wing. I used to have a GWS Pico J3 Stick that was fairly slow. I put Saran wrap across the bottom of the wing, which made it significantly better in breezes.

You might consider keeping the model as it is and flying on calm days. One of the nice features of the airfoil you have is that if you go a little faster, the drag will probably go way up. So if you need to get out of a strong thermal, a shallow dive ought to bring it down relatively quickly. If that's not enough, flying upside down and moderately fast will bring it down faster.
----------
For windy days, it may be better to build a different plane. Here are some possibilities that are still mostly balsa:

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7568
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10430
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10610

Above are the TMSS-HLG. aka Monarch Eater, in a reference to the most popular hlg at the time. Also the Banzai Machine, a big ff catapult launch glider. It may be a challenge to find places for the radio gear. And then there's the Lightning Bug, a built up DLG. I have to admit I haven't flown these or even seen them.

The Apogee, shown at the following URL, can deal with a little wind, but it will require fairly small radio gear. Also, things happen faster when you fly it, so if your reaction time is slow, it may not be for you. OTOH, it flies very well for something of its size. If you're REALLY ambitious, the Allegro Lite, with a link on the same page, is a VERY good flier, but it's probably a lot of work to put together. Some of the work goes to making it fantastically strong, which maybe you don't need.  F3-RES kits are probably good, too, though they're pretty light. I wouldn't be surprised if a few ounce of ballast were needed. These latter possibilities are 2 meter models and will require a bigger hi start.

There are about a bazillion other possibiities.

If you're building a free flight design for RC, it's probably best to enlarge the fin and rudder, though I can't really tell you how much.

If this all seems like too much work, you might consider the D J Aerotech Chrysalis 1.5 meter glider. It's a very nice flyer and can probably handle a LOT more wind than your Caprice. Not that it's a really windy day machine, but it does have a speed range.  The 2 meter versions would probably be even better on windy days, but now you're talking a bigger high start.

-----------------
As far as attaching the fishing line to the rubber, I'd recommend a small ring (or paper clip) and using a recommended knot. It can only be tied with lube on it, and it's quite tenacious. I guess you could tie it with dishwashing liquid and then rinse. I suspect a swivel from a fishing store is a good idea. Maybe you already know this, but with monfilament it's helpful to use different knots than you'd use with rope, twine, or shoelaces. You can look up various fisherman's knots. 

Come to think of it, unless you're making a loop at the end, I imagine some of the fisherman's knots would work ok for the rubber as well.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: KK Caprice RC conversion
mick66
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 01:57:29 AM »

Hello

Thanks for the feedback.  I think I'll keep it as is for purely calm days.  Something to annoy the 100cc petrol engine Hobbyking gang in my club! 

Despite having flown radio for years and been involved with FF power duration and even a bit of rubber ... I've never got around to gliders for some reason.  Getting there now though.  I have in fact got a couple of RES models.  A Circle Dancer 3000 and a FRESH RES, which is a laser cut kit.  Was very impressed with the quality ...as you'd expect from Germany!

On the slope side I'm rebuilding my Obelix and have a Blejzyk Hammer to build/assemble.  That's another really good quality Polish kit.  Also, got a PSS  Canberra laser cut kit from Sarik Hobbies.  So got a bit to be getting on with!

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Mike
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: