Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 17, 2019, 03:45:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best Scale Models of 2016  (Read 988 times)
Ross J
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2017, 04:12:21 PM »

I'm the Chair o the National Free Flight Society (NFFS) Model of the Year (MoY) committee. Once again I'm interested in finding out which designs or innovations in outdoor scale free flight Impressed you in 2016. All I need to know at this stage is the name of the model, the name of the model designer/flyer, and why you were impressed. Anything is fair game.

Last year this informal questionnaire on Hippocket lead to the selection of two winning designs, Zoltan Sukosd's F1D and Monz Lyons Avro Shackleton 4 engine rubber scale model.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »

Grin  i'll vote for JOHN BELL'S P40 at 1/24..  john's work is always first class

jim Grin
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 05:02:26 PM »

I would vote for Mike Stuarts Cessna 210 or the Short Seamew. The videos of their flights show good flying characteristics and the standard od worksmanship is of a very high class.
Ricky
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 05:13:18 PM »

I would add Mike's King Air to that and the RE8 by Bill Dennis was an almost Flawless display at the UK nats
Work In Progress
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 06:49:27 AM »

Lots of very fine models mentioned above, but I also particularly admired Tom Hallman's Hodek HK-101 rubber twin. I also admire his film-making, which for me captures everything that is good about free flight scale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQcPZXtFVVw
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 122

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 06:53:00 AM »

That's a very good suggestion, WIP (as are the others mentioned).
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 07:37:42 AM »

It is always interesting to ponder this. I suppose we all have different criteria. Here in the UK it wasn´t a truly memorable year but I reckon when we see Ivan Taylor´s new Hornet this year we will be impressed. Mike´s Fox Moth impressed us all by going for light wing loading - always a better option than a heavy, super detailed model that damages walls.
But I, too, would go with WIP´s suggestion of the Hodek. Beautiful construction, great video, not an easy subject but most importantly the story ends with it flying. And could it fly any better?
jernst
Gold Member

Kudos: 39

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:09:55 AM »

Another vote for the Hodek.... Wink

john
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 08:38:09 AM »

I would be very content if I built a HWYM and it flew like that.  So yes. And add to that the "Build" and it is hard to beat.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 95

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 10:07:17 AM »

I'd vote for one of Tom Hallman's models. He's unveiled several very successful models over the past year, not just the Hodek.
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 10:20:28 AM »

I would vote for Mike Stuart's King Air. Very impressive workmanship on a difficult paint scheme and it flew as smooth as the full size version. While not a high timer like many in the FAC, it was enough to threaten the top flyers.
Walt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »

I agree that the Hodek by Tom Hallman and the King Air by Mike Stuart are excellent choices.  I would like to add for consideration the Dinah Ki 46 designed, built and flown in Jumbo Scale by Doug Beardsworth.   Vance Gilberts Fokker Universal on floats is another great looking ship.  Finally, Mike Isserman's ME 109 was an outstanding example of FAC scale, perhaps did not get the attention it deserved since it did not garner many bonus points.
Wally
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 02:14:11 PM »

If innovation is in the criteria surely Ivan Taylor's Spitfire is in the frame from a structural point of view and the application of F1B ideas in the whole concept of the build. The S5B is also another model that is both innovative and a difficult subject. His sharing of these ideas in Aeromodeller is also very welcome.
Ricky
Work In Progress
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 03:12:45 PM »

Whatever the outcomes in terms of NFFS this is a welcome thread for me as it's already made me aware of a couple of models I hadn't previously known about, including the Doug Beardmore Dinah, which is featured on the first page of Mike Stuart's Geneseo report here:
http://www.ffscale.co.uk/page3ag.htm

Speaking of Mike, a few of his models have been mentioned here, including the impressive twins, but for me the Mike Stuart model of the year is his wonderful Fox Moth, partly for the remarkable beauty of its structure (visible about a third of the way down this page) --
http://www.ffscale.co.uk/page2l.htm
-- and partly for its uncanny true scale flying performance --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h9vsrZbLKU

I agree Ivan Taylor's big Spitfire is a fascinating machine but while I have enjoyed the Aeromodeller features on it I haven't had the pleasure of seeing it in action, whether on video or in real life. Does anyone know of a video online?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:23:11 PM by Work In Progress » Logged
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 06:08:21 PM »

I agree Ivan Taylor's big Spitfire is a fascinating machine but while I have enjoyed the Aeromodeller features on it I haven't had the pleasure of seeing it in action, whether on video or in real life. Does anyone know of a video online?
I don't think there is video. Ivan is still wrestling with trimming it but there is no doubt he will get there. There is video of the Hornet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eszpnKVIN1A
Copbait73
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 11:37:14 PM »

Mike Stuart's Fox Moth.
daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »

Of all the models I've seen in the flesh and flying it has to be Mike Stuart's Fox Moth - gorgeous workmanship and very realistic flight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: