Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 15, 2019, 11:54:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: One-Design Team Scale event  (Read 15625 times)
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 75

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: July 23, 2013, 08:12:59 AM »

Everyone has e-mailed me their flight times so here are the results for the 2013 Oxbridge Cometition:

Team Oxford
Reg'n       Race#     1921 Pilot       2013 Modeler     Flt 1     Flt 2    Flt 3        Total      Rankings      Team Score
G-EAXV     25         A R Boeree      Bingo Fuel          22        28       30           80           2
G-EAXW(?) 31        A V Hurley       dmar863            42        49       58          149           1                  8
G-EAXQ     29         N Pring           Fat Dragon         21        20       23           64           5 (tied)

Team Cambridge
G-EAXT     26          R K Muir         billdennis747       19        31       29           79           3
G-EAXX     32          H A Francis     Paul Briggs         30        20       14           64           5 (tied)         12
G-EAXU     30          W S Philcox    Chris Chapman    17         22       33          72            4

Independent
CF-JIM                                       p40qmilj             10         14       8           32            7

So, Team Oxford are the winners and dmar863 aka Dave Meyer of Kansas City is the winner of the Philcox Trophy.  Thank you gentlemen.  It's been my pleasure to be the contest director for this unique event.   The plaques will be finished shortly in the colors and numbers of the winning team and sent to their respective new owners.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:03:53 AM by Mark Braunlich » Logged

Mark
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: July 23, 2013, 08:29:45 AM »

Whoop, whoop!! Well done everybody! Especially well done Dave/ Hurley!

Thank you Mark!

Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gMlmjA1pTE&feature=youtu.be

It wasn't me
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: July 23, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »

Well done Oxford and, again, thanks to Mark for organising this. It has been great fun.
Bill
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: July 23, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »

Thanks guys, been my pleasure.  I just added Jim Norfolk's (p40qmilj) times to the table.   I believe he had to fly in significant wind yesterday to get his flights in.  

I dreamt up the idea while sitting with my wife in hospital last Sept-Oct before and after her receiving a kidney-liver transplant, 43 days in hospital for her and me in and out and driving 3 hours each way to and from the hospital.  One's mind comes up with some strange thoughts.  I'm somewhat disappointed at the numbers that particapated as I'd hoped to have more teams but I know that any new idea takes some time for acceptance so I am greatful to those who jumped in when there is quite a bit of organized competition going on these days.

Rich, your SE5 sounds like it's diesel powered  Cheesy

Mark
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: July 23, 2013, 09:20:36 AM »

It's good to see Jim got his flights in - well done.

Mark - there was a fair amount of interest on the field regarding the competition, and more than a couple of modellers said they wished they had paid more attention to the thread. Some said they stumbled across it a little too late to get involved.  It captured peoples imagination to see the models in their racing livery. I would like to think that a similar type of event may attract increased participation in the future. The interest is definitely there.

Sorry I couldn't get the kids finished in time. I didn't put much pressure on them, because they get enough of that elsewhere. They are enjoying the process, so I am sure they'll finish eventually. I'll run a mini-competition at school when they are ready and post the results here.

Diesel? Sssssh - don't tell anyone!

It wasn't me
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: July 23, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »

I'm somewhat disappointed at the numbers that particapated as I'd hoped to have more teams but I know that any new idea takes some time for acceptance so I am greatful to those who jumped in when there is quite a bit of organized competition going on these days.  

Dave. Can we infer you will do this again? A lot of people showed interest towards the end, too late, but you are right - it takes a while for new things to catch on. Over here I have been running an event for the Aeromodeller/Model Aircraft designs for about 6 years but only this year did it take off.
Can we have a picture of the winning model?
dmar836
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: July 23, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »

Wow guys.  Thanks!  I am honored ... and likely just the luckiest of the group.  Dragon's looked like it had potential to go far.  I think they all do with a few more trimming sessions.

Bill, I think you might have meant Mark but I sure will stay active.  Mark did a great job!  I'll bet if this was opened under a "Cookup" thread there would have been many participants.  The Se5 is a very popular build.

I have all three flights but here is the video of Hurley's 3rd and final flight.  If you notice, the key is talking to it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd77RYjEBu4&feature=youtu.be

I think historic-based builds are the best - they honor those who went fairly unnoticed for doing what they loved while leaving developments for future generations.  It's more than just "a build" that way.  I have enjoyed sharing the story of the Oxford/Cambridge rowing rivalry with those who will listen.

My wife's eyes glaze over when I rattle on but she is now a 1:1 scale pilot and has developed an understanding of the principles of these great little gems.  I thank her for filming these and then staying for several "just one more" flights of another build.  Light wind has been rare this year!

Dave
KC

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: One-Design Team Scale event

How you do anything is how you do everything.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: July 23, 2013, 10:09:27 AM »

Dave - yes, sorry - Mark!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: July 23, 2013, 10:13:08 AM »

Dave
Just seen the video. None of our models were flying like that! Fabulous.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 66

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: July 23, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »

Well done Dave  Smiley Rich, Bill, Mark et al

I've very much enjoyed this thread as a spectator and wish I'd got involved at an earlier stage. Linking cook-ups/builds to an historical race is a great idea. There are so many to choose from: Kings Cup, Gordon Bennett, Aerial Derby, (although perhaps not so many one-design races) It has potential!

Jon
Bingo Fuel
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: July 23, 2013, 05:19:41 PM »

Hi all,
   Well done everyone.  I love the videos. Rich congratulations and I'm very happy you were on team Oxford.  Everyone did fantastic.  I think it went good for a first time event.  I am a fan of the one design, one plan event as it keeps everyone in the same ball park.  I'm a Yank so I know of the 1947 Tinnerman race that was all Bell P-63 Kingcobras (5 aircraft), and the 1947 Sohio race that was all Lockheed P-38/F-5  Lightnings (7 aircraft).  Not a simple plane but just a thought. Then there was the 1964 Harold's Club Transcontinental Trophy Dash that was all P-51Ds (Cool  There is also the myriad of AT-6/SNJ/Harvard races that have been going since the 1947 Halle race and the 1948 Kendall and on in to Reno
races since 1968.  That is a huge collection of aircraft and colour schemes. There are other races that was all Mustangs but it is a mix of  A-36/P-51A, P-51B/C, and P-51Ds so it would not be from all one plan. There were all P-80 Shooting Star races too  but they don't have that whirrly gig thing out front.  Just some thoughts for now.  Anyone can run with it but I really do think everyones model should be from the same plan AND the same size.  Regards  Bingo
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: July 23, 2013, 05:46:31 PM »

Hi  Bingo
Personally, I would relish another bash at the same thing, to try and get near Dave's times!
Bill
dmar836
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: July 23, 2013, 06:50:53 PM »

Bingo,
I love the vintage racers but knew few of those you mentioned.  Looked up some pics - great subjects.  I suppose a certain vintage, kit maker(Comet, etc.), and certain scale would keep people on a relatively even field. 
Here's one.  What about a blur racer build?  Tons of fat motor and tons of down thrust. 
Dave 

p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: July 24, 2013, 07:50:50 AM »

Grin racers.... RENO!!!!  lets build the p40Q, Tsumnai, Drago RED or Rare Bear!

JIM Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 66

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: July 28, 2013, 06:28:31 AM »

Another one-design race was the Mitchell Trophy between pilots of the 1st Pursuit Group. The first race (1922) was with Thomas-Morse MB-3's but later races were with whatever was current including Peashooters (possibly also Curtiss P-6 Hawks and Boeing P-12's?)

http://www.mtclib.org/local%20history/mitchell%20trophy.pdf
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: August 03, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »

The plaques for the members of the winning Team Oxford are complete and will be mailed out early in the coming week.  Have a look.

My thanks to the participants once again and also to Ratz and Sundance12 for allowing me to host the competition here on HPA.  We wouldn't have had the Oxbridge Competition without their consent.    It's been great fun but a lot of work and maybe we can do it again sometime if there's enough interest.  I have ideas for other e-postal free flight competitions filling my head as well so we shall see what transpires.  People can PM me with their ideas but please don't post them on this thread as I wish this to close on a pleasant note.

Cheers everyone,
Mark

Smiley

Mark
dmar836
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: August 04, 2013, 01:05:20 AM »

Thanks for putting the time into those, Mark. They are quite nice!
Dave

Bingo Fuel
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: August 07, 2013, 07:57:02 PM »

Fantastic Mark.  Thanks so much for such a well run contest.  It indeed was a lot of fun.  It was nice to have the rules thoughtfully put forward right from the start.  It sure was fantastic to see a model designed in 1932 fly so well as Dave's did. The trophies are top quality and the entire experience was a blast.  Thanks again for the contest.   Regards, Bingo
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: June 15, 2015, 06:58:01 PM »

Bingo,
Recently found this photo online of your SE flying this spring.  Good to know it's still airworthy.  Great photo.

Mark
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: June 19, 2015, 08:16:31 PM »

Great photo found online of the 1921 winning team.

Mark
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 122

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: September 12, 2016, 11:59:24 AM »

I've just read through this wonderful thread again, mainly because I'm about to start the VMC Se5 kit and am thinking of doing it in Oxbridge racing colours, and this thread is now the internet's best one-stop source of photos, markings and general info on the 1921 race. I was pleased to see that one of the points they raced to was Hertford, as that is where my dad hails from.

(This was one of those contests I noticed way too late, but wished I had been part of. If Mark or anyone else fancies starting a similar scale-based comp on here again, I'll very likely be in!)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: September 12, 2016, 12:25:07 PM »

I'm not sure if this Pathe film clip of the Aeriel Derby contestants taking off is elsewhere on the thread and I missed it, but just in case: http://www.britishpathe.com/video/aerial-derby
(It's not the same clip as Mark's nice film link in reply #15)
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: September 12, 2016, 08:19:29 PM »

Thanks for the kind words Pete.  I do have an idea for a similar event, not teams though, and not based on the Oxbridge Race.

Mark
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: September 13, 2016, 02:45:36 AM »

I'm intrigued already. More details soon?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: September 14, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »

This is the same Pathe clip as mentioned above, but in YouTube and at a bigger and better resolution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXMhUwOZUHI.
Quite a good view of the SE5a numbered 28, which I have learned from Mark in this thread was only a reserve in the Oxbridge race, but flew in the main Derby race (see reply #132).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:37:56 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: