Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 07:47:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Guillows Chipmunk Build  (Read 381 times)
scigs30
Gold Member

Kudos: 65

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2017, 10:24:06 PM »

I was looking for a quick easy build so I decided to build one of my Guillows kit.  I bought this kit a while ago at Hobby Lobby with my 40 percent off coupon, I don't think they carry Guillows any longer. The wood was good quality super lite but the die crushing was pretty bad.  I must say the parts did not match the patterns on the plans very well, I almost scratched the build.  Once the parts were shaped, the build went pretty fast.  I think the structure was built in one day and I started covering the next.  I think some day these will be great kits when they are laser cut, but who knows when that will happen.  I built the model with Elmers white glue and did not encounter any issues putting her together. I used the white tissue in the kit and decided to once again use Eze Dope.  I have written about Eze Dope in the past and have had good experiences with it when using Esaki but had some challenges with domestic tissue.  The reason for this is because domestic tissue has a lot of excess slack when it becomes wet causing the Eze dope to stick to itself.  This time I decided to cover all the structures with wet domestic tissue and pull out all the slack before using Eze Dope.  I wet the tissue with alcohol then applied it to the structure pulling it nice and tight.  Of course I had to weight down the light structures to prevent warping.  Once the covering was complete, I sprayed the covered frames with 5 percent solution of Eze Dope water to shrink the tissue.  Once dried I brushed on 2 coats of Eze Dope thinned 30/70....30 percent dope, 70 percent water.  The best part is it is cold in my garage right now so I did all this inside my house.  Also everyone knows it is impossible to apply water slide decals to doped tissue, but not with Eze Dope.  I soaked the decals in water, slid off the paper and brushed on thinned Eze Dope on the adhesive side of the decal.  I then applied the decals and they went on great with no issues.  As shown with rubber and balanced she weighs 20 grams.  I like keeping my builds simple since I normally have multiple hobby builds going on at the same time, RC, Rubber powered, plastic scale and model rockets.   All my hobby builds are the same, simple and clean with little details.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Guillows Chipmunk Build
Guillows Chipmunk Build
Guillows Chipmunk Build
Guillows Chipmunk Build
Guillows Chipmunk Build
Guillows Chipmunk Build
Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

FAC Member