Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 12:38:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Indoor Flying With The O.F.F.C.  (Read 11354 times)
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2019, 10:59:17 PM »

The O.F.F.C. Cat Glider contest happened, as scheduled, on Wednesday, April 24.  Although several members brought gliders some were deemed not working that day and were not flown.  The contest started with 5 contestants.  One of them, Charlotte, is an eleven year old girl who was brought to the meeting by her grandfather.  (Yes, our contests are open to anyone.)

The rules were any glider, any size or materials, with rubber limited to a six inch loop and if a catapult stick is used it is limited to six inches in length.  The contestants had three sets of three flights (nine flights total) with the best single flight counted.  Cat gliders, being somewhat cantankerous if not launched just right provided an interesting, if not entertaining, variety of flights with one flight soaring gracefully near the ceiling and gliding majestically and the very next flight being shortened by slamming into the ceiling or the wall.  Charlotte did quite well.  She was coached by her grandfather but did all the flying herself.

The results were:
1.   Bill Watson         29.8 seconds
2.   Jim Leuken         22.9
3   Charlotte Acosta      17.9
4.   Don Smith         16.2
5.   Bud Matthews      13.7

CD           Howard Littman
Timers   Howard Littman, Will Woods

The next contest is Legal Eagle on May 29th.  Bud Matthews is the CD.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Indoor Flying With The O.F.F.C.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 12:14:44 AM by kittyfritters » Logged

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2019, 10:07:01 PM »

The Legal Eagle contest happened on Wednesday, June 29.  There was a very good turnout for the meeting but only six members brought models for the contest.  Bill Watson, once again, proved what can be done with a light, carefully trimmed model by winning , but it wasn’t a runaway with Paul Avery coming in a close second.  Joe Whiting had an interesting design that had some structural issues but after repairs it turned in a good performance for third place.  Don Butman finished  fourth with a usual competent performance but had trouble breaking a minute.  Howard Littman brought a development of his last Legal Eagle design but he finished and trimmed it at the contest and was only able to get three flights of around 40 seconds in before the end.  Don Smith finished sixth.

Results:  (Total of best 3 flights out of 6)

1.   Bill Watson         335.9  seconds
2.   Paul Avery         320.2  (5 total flights)
3.   Joe Whiting         203.2  (4 total flights)
4.   Don Butman      175.5 
5.   Howard Littman      117.7  (3 total flights)
6.   Don Smith                65.2  (4 total flights)

Next Contest is A-6 on July 26.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »

Oops! The Legal Eagle contest was on MAY 29th!  The A-6 contest will be on June 26th. 

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2019, 12:11:27 AM »

I was out of the country for the A-6 contest on June 26 so I can't give you a description of how it went but I was given the results and a few photos.

The results:

1. Bill Watson            272   seconds
2. Jim Leuken            182.5
3. Pete Basone          179.8
4. Don Butman           148.3
5. Bud Matthews        N/A

The photos are the finishers, Bill Watson, Jim Leuken, Kurt and Barry who were timing, and Will Woods.  I don't know how Will didn't end up finishing.

The next contest was the outdoor Predicted Time/ Spot Landing contest on July 17.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2019, 09:23:20 PM »

I was at the Predicted Time/Spot Landing contest yesterday.  This is the OFFC's one outdoor contest that is always held in the middle of summer on the Stonehurst Recreation Center field.   It was a bit windy but flyable. The contest is open to any rubber powered model that can ROG (Yes, in the past helicopters have been entered!)  You have four flight attempts, each. to accomplish two tasks.   The flight for, either task. must be at least 15 seconds to count. The two tasks may be accomplished by a single flight.

The first task is predict the duration of your model's flight before launching your model from a card table.  The second task is to get the model to land as close to an American Flag on a pole in the middle of the field.  The pole has a 50 foot measuring tape attached to it for measuring the distance from the pole to the closest part of the model.

An interesting variety of models was flown, the usual Minnows, a few designed for the contest models and for those without anything to fly, Dave Gee brought a box of Guillow's Jetstreams. I brought one of my Double Trouble prototypes but discovered that I had left the front end back on the bench and ended up flying a Jetstream. 

Every once and a while you get a Jetstream that won't climb. This is a bit of a problem in a contest that requires ROG (ROT?) takeoffs.  I ended up extending the wing slot all the way to the prop hanger to get it to climb.  The next flight it flew straight to the trees and treed itself 20 feet up on the back side of a tree.  I got Bill Watson's modified kite pole, which acted like it was a prop from a Buster Keaton movie, and retrieved the model.  My last flight, predicted for 20 seconds, flew 31 seconds and bounced off a tree on the other side of the park...FOGETTABOUTIT!  There is always next year!

Dave Gee, the CD for the contest was feeling a bit poorly and had to leave in the middle of the contest.  Kurt Young took over as timer and CD

The results were:

Flier                                         Model              Seconds off predicted     Distance from pole

1. Barry Dougherty                      Zipper                 .2                            10' 11"
2. Bill Watson                             Own Design          .2                            16'
3. Jim Leuken                             Own Design         1.2                            50'+
4. Don Butman                            Peck ROG            4.0                           12' 10"
5. Kurt Young                             Jetstream            4.0                           50'+
6. Howard Littman                       Jetstream          11.6                           50'+
7. Stan Christopher                      Minnow              N/A                           50'+
8. Marylin Commer                       Jetstream            N/A                          N/A

The next contest is Dime Scale (Joe Whiting's 9 Cent scale rules) on July 28.  If you have a Dime Scale model and can make it that Wednesday morning, come on out!         

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2019, 12:34:48 PM »

REMINDER

Wednesday, July 31, (That's tomorrow, folks.) is the 9 Cent Scale (Joe Whiting's relaxed Dimer rules) contest at Stonehurst.  If you have a dimer that flies come on out!

Also, for those who enjoy a challenge, the OFFC Payload contest will be at Stonehurst on August 14.  See attached poster.

OFFC  contests are open to all interested modelers.

Stonehurst Rec center is at 9901 Dronfield Ave, Sun Valley, CA 91352.  It's one of those hidden parks so you will have to Google Map it to see how to get there.

The OFFC meetings start at 9:00 AM and the flying sessions are 10:00 to 12:00.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 12:45:38 PM by kittyfritters » Logged

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2019, 01:51:17 PM »

CORRECTION!

I was sent the wrong photo of the A-6 contest score sheet.  Here are the correct results.

• 1.Bill Watson                                457.5     Seconds
  • 2.Will Woods                                408.1
  • 3.Norm Furutani                            391.3
  • 4.Paul Avery                                340.6
  • 5.Jim Leuken                                276.0
  • 6.Don Butman                               224.5
  • 7.Pete Basone                              175.8

Again, I wasn't at the contest.  Sorry about the error.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2019, 09:28:47 PM »

On Wednesday, July 31, the Dime Scale Contest (9 cent scale) was held in the Stonehurst gym.  We had a great meeting before the contest which ended with a few surprised, "The contest is today?" remarks.  As it turned out only three people brought dimers.  But, following the FAC three contestants makes a contest rule it went ahead anyway.

Bill Watson brought a freshly made Heath Parasol.  Joe Whiting brought a SIPA S.11 (French Arado 96) and a Fokker DXVII.  Don Butman brought his SB2C-3 and a Howard DGA-15.  Once Bill got the Heath trimmed it was evident that he would win the contest.  Joe's Fokker had been finished the night before the contest and was in need of more trimming that could be done that morning so he flew the reliable SIPA S.11.  Don's SB2C-3 was beautifully stable in flight but he couldn't get over 30 seconds out of it so he switched to the DGA-15.  (Although he held the more colorful Curtiss for the photos.)

The contest was for the best single flight of unlimited (well, completed before the 11:30 cutoff time) attempts.

The results:

• 1. Bill Watson         80.3  seconds
  • 2, Joe Whiting        52.41
  • 3. Don Butman       36.1

CD Joe Whiting, Timer Howard Littman

The next contest is the Rubber Payload Contest on August 14.                                                                                   

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2019, 11:00:38 PM »

RUBBER PAYLOAD CONTEST - AUGUST 14TH

If not the best attended OFFC contest it was certainly one of the most fun.  Everyone agreed that we will have to do this one again.  There were only two entries, Bill Watson and Jim Leuken.  Now, that may not sound like much of a contest but everyone there was fascinated and many more will participate the next time. Bill and Jim took two different approaches to the problem.

Bill took the high camber airfoil approach.  His model was sturdy but only weighed 10 grams and had a low wing design reminiscent of a 1930s ROG model.  He installed a small keel, under the wing, to attach the clay payload, keeping the CG centered.  His motor was 1/8” flat, tan rubber, as required by the rules, and the final motor weighed 2.4 grams. The last flight lifted 25.6 grams of clay.

Jim’s approach was a high winged, contemporary ROG type model with a pylon, tip dihedral and an airfoil with a very small camber.  He wrapped the clay load around the pylon to maintain the CG position.  His last flight, with essentially the same motor as Bill’s model lifted 25.3 grams of clay and might have lifted more except he ran out of time.

This contest was more closely fought than would appear with only two contestants.  The biggest problem was getting the heavily laden models to turn inside the gym.  There were many flights that did not lift off and became high speed taxi runs.  Several flights did not make the 20 second minimum (leading to an observation that ’20 seconds can be a long time’).   And, of course many flights ended against the wall.  Hitting the ceiling was not an issue here.

This contest was a successful experiment and it was agreed that the next time there will be many more contestants.

The next contest is Comet Phantom Flash, plan stock except for thrust button, prop shaft and prop, on August 28th.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2019, 06:03:20 PM »

The contest for August was Phantom Flash.  Embarrassingly enough, I didn’t get to the contest until the very end.  And, not knowing how long my prior commitment would take, I didn’t bring my model.  Neither did a lot of other people and the contest was between our usual three stalwarts, Bill Watson, Jim Lieuken and Don Butman.   They finished in that order.
I took a picture of the score sheet and a picture of the group at the end.  However, when I got home I could not find those pictures on my phone, so I don’t have the detail times or the group picture.  Mia Culpa!

The next O.F.F.C contest is the One Design the design in question being the Mini Sonic.  A dozen members bought kits and we will see how many are flown in the contest.  Incentive to finish and fly is added because the contest is a do-back.  It was to be held on Wednesday, September 26 but was postponed to Wednesday, October 2 due to floor work in the gym.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2019, 01:48:33 PM »

The One Design contest, for Mini-Sonics, went off, as scheduled, on September 25.  There was a good turnout with nine entrants out of the twelve kits sold.  (I could not find my model!  It's in my shop somewhere.)  The nine entrants got their dough back.

The contestants, flying what is essentially an outdoor model indoors, still achieved remarkably good times with seven of the nine models posting times over one minute.  The contest was decided on the best flight of unlimited trys so there were few moments when there were no models in the air.

The results were:
    1.   Pete Basone             83.7 seconds
    2.   Don Butman             80.7
    3.   Joe Whiting              79.5
    4.   Bill Watson               74.5
    5.   Don Smith                66.8
    6.   Jim Leuken               64.8
    7.   Bill Blanchard            62.9
    8.   Wade Wiley              44.0
    9.   Wynn Hammer          11.6

CD(s)    Bill Watson, Dave Gee
Timer     Howard Littman

The next contest will be on October 30, for No-Cal models.  Don Butman, wizard of No-Cals, is the CD and he has come up with an interesting set of rules including ROG from, rolling wheels, required.  Since the annual Pearl Harbor No-Cal contest will be the next week there are many Pearl Harbor eligible models being tested with landing gear.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 02:14:01 PM by kittyfritters » Logged

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2019, 01:13:40 PM »

The NoCal contest gets more interesting.  Rules specify a 16 inch span (Legal) NoCal model but with a 12 gram minimum weight.  Fixed landing gear with rolling wheels required, no drop off gear, and all flights must start ROG.

KF

Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2019, 06:39:13 PM »

Be sure and post pics. I've never seen a 12+gm  nocal!!
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2019, 06:46:02 PM »

The O.F.F.C. NoCal contest for 2019 happened on October 30.  Unfortunately, there were a few astonished, "The contest is today?" remarks at the meeting and there were only 4 entries. The four of us that did fly had a lot of fun.

Now. Pete Basone and I were trimming models we expect to fly in the Pearl Harbor NoCal contest in December so he had a Zero and I had a Brewster Buffalo.  Bill Watson, for some reason, probably because it was appropriate to the Black Sheep Squadron, and the model would be displayed at the AMA EXPO the following weekend built a Corsair.  Don Butman, the CD for the event, brought a high winged Farman with a big barn door of a wing.  With the 12 gram minimum weight and all the fighters flying gear down you could easily predict the winner.

The contest was for the total of the best two flights out of five attempts.

The results were:

• 1.   Don Butman           Farman             13 grams         159 seconds
  • 2.   Bill Watson             Corsair              12 grams         134.7
  • 3.   Howard Littman       Buffalo              12 grams          77.8 
  • 4.   Pete Basone           Zero                 14 grams           52.4 

Winn Hammer brought his Zipper, not really legitimate since it is a model of a model, but he couldn't get it flying well enough to compete.

The November 27 contest will be a one design, P-18 Hawk, with a stock North Pacific front end.  (Yes, we have a supply of them.)

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2019, 10:56:10 PM »

The November 27th P-18 contest was rescheduled to December 4th.  This was due to the weather being so bad that it would have been dangerous for many members to drive to the meeting!

December becomes a very busy contest month with the P-18 contest on the 4th, the Black Sheep Squadron's Pearl Harbor NoCal contest on the 13th and the ROG Unlimited contest on the 18th.  This last because there will be no meeting on the 25th.

Keep 'Em Flying!

KF
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 12:48:17 AM by kittyfritters » Logged

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2019, 08:31:48 PM »

I didn't witness the P-18 contest because I had to leave right after the meeting but do have the results.

So, without the usual drama, the results were.

1.  Pete Basone               209 seconds
    2.  Don Butman               195
    3.  Will Woods                 194
    4.  Bill Watson                 187
    5.  Don Smith                  175

Don Butman's other P-18 flew 185 seconds.

The next contest is the Ed Slobad Memorial ROG Unlimited, open to any rubber powered model that can ROG, next Wednesday.  Here you can find anything such as Penny Planes with landing gear.  Fun!

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2019, 08:36:58 PM »

ED SLOBAD MEMORIAL ROG UNLIMITED CONTEST

Since it is open to any rubber powered model that can ROG this is always one of the more interesting contests of the year.  You never know what kind of model that people will bring.  There were designed for the job models, P-18s with landing gear, Legal Eagles, and even an Embryo.

Bill Watson and Jim Leuken brought designed for the job models.  Bill flew away with it, to no one’s surprise.  Jim got some tough competition from the Legal Eagle and P-18 fliers.  There wasn’t a dull moment with models in the air right to the end.  This was a fitting end to the OFFC ‘s 2019 year.

At the meeting, the contest schedule for 2020 was finalized.  We’re short CDs for three contests but we can Shanghai members as needed.  OFFC members will get the contest schedule with the 2020 directory.  The contest for January is Minnow on January 29th.

The contest results were:  (Best single flight)

1.      Bill Watson              Own Design              186.0  seconds
2.      Paul Avery               Legal Eagle              111.0
3.      Don Butman            P-18                         97.0
4.      Jim Leuken             Own Design                88.0
5.      Howard Littman        Legal Eagle                83.0
6.      Joe Whiting             Legal Eagle                76.0     

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2020, 03:23:52 PM »

At today's O.F.F.C. meeting the 2020 Directory and Contest Calendars were distributed.  The Contest Calendar is as follows:

Date           Event                              CD Name                   
Jan 29        Minnow                            Bill Watson                 
Feb 26        Delta Dart (Built on Site)    Dave Gee                   
Mar 25        Embryo                            Will Woods                 
Apr 29         No-Cal                            TBS*                         
May 27        Dime Scale                      Joe Whiting
June 10Outdoor Spot-TimeDave and Ralph
Jun 24A-6Howard Littman
Jul 29Peanut ScaleDave Gee
Aug 26RTP Rubber SpeedJim Leuken
Sep 30Legal EagleTBS*
Oct 28One DesignBill and Dave
Nov 25P-18Paul Avery
Dec 30R.O.G. UnlimitedEd Slobad (FBTG)

CD will issue rules for each meet, possibly with customized requirements.  No griping!
Dissenters invited to volunteer as a CD next year.

Other unlisted events are possible. Anyone requesting another event will be CD for that event

TBS* indicates that the CD for this event will be shanghaied from the membership.

There was quite a bit of discussion about the RTP speed event.  It looks like there will two classes, Unlimited and Racing Plane Profile Scale.  The profile scale event will be No-Cal models but with all sheet construction allowed.  Another possible rule for the profile scale class is to have all models use the 5 inch, Guillow's, red prop.

We shall see...

The Minnow contest is next week.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2020, 11:36:32 PM »

On January 29 the OFFC Minnow contest was held at Stonehurst.   Five contestants participated.  Some of the models were new builds and some had been flying for over a decade.  

The results were:

• 1.   Bill Watson                                    206 seconds
  • 2.   Don Butman                                  120
  • 3.   Will Woods                                    106
  • 4.   Howard Littman                                77
  • 5.   Don Martin                                      45

Bill Watson was CD.

I would have put the group picture on this post but we can’t seem to get it off Barry Daugherty’s phone..

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2020, 11:42:13 PM »

On the morning of February 26th the OFFC once again held one of the most popular and fun contest events on its schedule, the Delta Dart Build on Site contest.  Our esteemed Black Sheep Squadron President, Dave Gee, provided the materials and building boards for the mad scramble to build the models in the hour before the contest.

Of course, when Dave prints up the plans/skins for Delta Darts he can’t resist having a bit of fun with the markings!  The contest was for the total of the best two attempts so there was a constant trimming effort during the contest and the times got better as the contest went on.  The end of the contest was the traditional Delta Dart mass launch. 

The results were:
    1. Bill Watson......................82.0 Seconds
    2. Don Butman....................77.3
    3. Dave Gee........................73.6
    4. Barry Daugherty...............66.6
    5. Howard Littman................58.9
    6. Will Woods......................53.9
    7. Don Smith.......................33.7
    8. Kurt Young........................9.8
The mass launch winner was Dave Gee.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2020, 04:26:32 PM »

OFFC meetings and contests are postponed until further notice due to the virus situation.  The park gyms and all other available venues are closed.  The building season has been extended.

KF

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2020, 01:30:31 PM »

Yippee!  The O.F.F.C. contest schedule resumes this month with the Predicted Time/Spot Landing contest.  This is our only outdoor contest of the year and will be held, as usual, on the grass at the Stonehurst Recreation Center. The date is Wednesday, June 17.  The contest starts at 8:30 AM and runs until the wind blows us out. (That's usually about 11:00 AM.)  Face covering and social distancing required.

For those who have never seen it, the rules are:

The contest is for any rubber powered, free flight model that can ROT (Rise Off Table) from a card table. (Several card tables are provided to move the contest along.)

The minimum flight time for an official flight is 15 seconds.

A contestant may have five official flights for each category.

For Spot Landing:

A flag is planted out in the center of the field.  A 50 foot tape measure is attached to the flag pole.  The contestant may position the card table anywhere in the field to launch the model.  The model must land within 50 feet of the flag.  The tape is used to measure the distance to the flag pole from the part of the model that is closest to the flag.

The winner is the contestant whose model lands closest to the flag pole.

For Predicted Time:

The contestant must announce the duration of the flight which is written into the timing sheet BEFORE launching the model.

The card table may be positioned anywhere in the field to launch the model.

The contestant must get a clear, visual response from a timer indicating that his model is being timed before launching the model. (Usually, this is the timer raising the stop watch while looking at the contestant.)

The timing is to the nearest tenth of a second from the model being released until it touches the ground.

The winner is the contestant whose model flight duration is closest to the time predicted.

Now, this sounds like there is a lot of luck involved and this is true for models that win the spot landing contest by touching the pole and those that get exact times in the predicted time event.  (Both have happened!)  But, this is a club for older modelers who know how to get a model dialed in and there are usually models that consistently get withing five feet of the pole and it's not unusual for three to five contestants to have flights within one second of their predicted time.  (I once flew within 0.4 seconds of my predicted time and finished third!)

Results next week.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2020, 05:46:11 PM »

Here is the official announcement of the O.F.F.C. contest next Wednesday.  The rules differ slightly from past years.

Hello friends!

The O.F.F.C. is back in business, at least for one day.  June 17,2020 will see the yearly outdoor contest presented at Stonehurst Rec Center.  Whether weekly meetings will resume has not been decided, but we WILL have this one event under the big trees and on the field.

As always, any rubber-powered FF model can be used.  Take off from a card table and meet your predicted time, and/or land as close as possible to the flag.

Minimum flight 15 seconds, 3 attempts at each task.

Tables, flag, and timekeeper will be onsite at 8am.  Contest ends when blown out or all pilots are finished.

Quasi-lavish prizes may be offered.

Doughnuts WILL be provided.

Not all O.F.F.C. members get email, so please pass this information along.  All comers are welcome of course.

Wear your plague-masks and keep your distance during this time of chaos and craziness.

-Dave, your dedicated CD

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2020, 12:26:15 AM »

Due to several issues I was unable to attend the O.F.F.C contest last Wednesday, however I have pictures and results passed on by Dave Gee.

The OFFC is back in business! Contest results:

Spot-Time

1st Hugh Langhans
    2nd Dave Gee
    3rd Don Butman

Spot-landing

1st Dave Gee
    2nd Bill Watson
    3rd Don Butman

THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2020, 06:52:29 AM »

Greatly enjoy these reports - and I have had a few Don Butman designs on my to-do list since I started buying Model Builder in the 70s. You certainly cover a lot of categories.
cheers
Tim

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: