Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 24, 2019, 06:43:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next Generation MUTT E36  (Read 1462 times)
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »

Well with the improvements in motor performance and lipo batteries I thought I'd develop the next gen. of the well known MUTT E36. Increased wing area to 220 sq. inches, lengthen fus. 1.5 inches, improve rudder design(improve warp resistance). Motor is a new 2950 kv drone racing motor, pwr. is 350 mah, 65C, 2 cell lipo battery from Nano Tech, 12 amp ESC, and initial prop will be 6 x 5.5 APC E. Additional pwr. will be 450 mah, 100C, 2 cell lipo battery! Could be interesting!!!! Initial pwr. runs felt really healthy. Will have to wait for winds to subside to under 5 mph for initial flights. Will keep all informed as it happens. Pics. attached.

Scott
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Next Generation MUTT E36
Next Generation MUTT E36
PaulBrad
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 10:47:50 PM »

Looks very nice Scott. Where did the flying weight end up?

Paul Bradley
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 12:02:29 AM »

I think your 12A ESC will not stand the power. Try Afro Tiny 20A controller instead, it's nice and tiny and can handle 16+ amps.
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 07:37:20 AM »

Taipo, have tested pwr. system without any problems. Motor run times up to 15 seconds without amping out the ESC. Paul, flying weight came in on the heavy side (196 grs.) Next build I can get int down to around 170 grs. without too much problems.

Scott
airplay
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 05:09:26 PM »

Mine powertrains draw 15 A + and to date my 12A ESCs hasn't made any smoke. For 10 s I find them absolutely safe.
But 15 s is not testet here ....

Good luck with your new Mutt.

Jens
NeilH
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 05:25:56 PM »

Scott,  will Top Notch be offering it as a kit?  Also I saw your post about the electric Geef on the NFFS forum.  Has it flown?  I'm thinking of doing the same since I alrady have a kit in my stash.  How is performance, trimming, etc?
Neil

Will fly for fun
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 06:24:12 PM »

Neil, new MUTT is still in development stage! Has not flown yet do to weather (winds) hear in the south, typical late winter early spring flying issues. The Geef has not flown yet! I am waiting for winds to die down so I can trim about 7 new planes for the coming season. Will post results ASAP! When the new MUTT is ready Top Knotch Products will be kitting it!

Scott
jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 07:43:38 PM »

Neil, .....new MUTT is still in development stage! Has not flown yet do to weather (winds) hear in the south,Scott

Any updated news about this ?

just asking because i'm interested.

best wishes, john s.
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 08:12:11 PM »

Got a chance last Saturday morning for the first test flights of the Next Gen. MUTT E36. Didn't start off to good! On second test flight T/D tripped to close to motor cut-off and folded the wing!#$%^&* Wing is repaired and ready to continue testing. Pwr. is great! Hauls the heavier plane sky ward with authority!!!! Hopefully next Saturday morning blesses us again with some great flying conditions??

Scott
jswain
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »

Got a chance last Saturday morning for the first test flights of the Next Gen. MUTT E36. Didn't start off to good! On second test flight T/D tripped to close to motor cut-off and folded the wing!#$%^&* Wing is repaired and ready to continue testing. Pwr. is great! Hauls the heavier plane sky ward with authority!!!! Hopefully next Saturday morning blesses us again with some great flying conditions??Scott

thanks Scott for update.

Glad to hear about getting this bigger version of Mutt in the air, sorry about the quick dt ( you are in good company Wink  ).

Please do update the gliding/flying characteristics vs. current Mutt, especially in view of the new 10 second  power time limits introduced this year .

thanks again, we are interested !!

john s.   (who's currently working on e36 #3 - an ApacheII)
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 09:46:23 AM »

Well, took the now renamed "SUPER MUTT" to the Nat's for development when finished contest flying and had a great development! First hand finished 4th with the current MUTT, as a note MUTT's finished 2nd and 4th at the Nat's. Back to the Super MUTT, first pwr. flight had a hard right turn before zooming skyward. So put 1/32" left motor trim in and flew again. Solved the right turn issue and rocketed skyward!! Set timer for 10 second motor run and watched a vertical cork screwing climb to the clouds, quick DT. Next on to the glide! 5 sec. motor run and 2 min. glide and maxed out on the first glide test on 5 sec. motor run!!!! Glide had a slight stall so moved the motor 1/2" forward and send it on it's way on another 5 sec. motor run and another 2 min. max.!! Just for fun set it for a 10 sec. motor run and 2 min. glide and just stood in one place and watched at performance with the new drone racing motor 2 cells!!!. Well now to the CAD system and develop CAD files for the new version of the MUTT.

Scott
jswain
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 12:21:46 AM »

Great news, glad you had success with newest 'big'  version and others with original Mutt.

best wishes and looking forward to hearing about further developments (maybe a new kit Huh?)

john s.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: