Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2019, 08:01:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Clown Racing  (Read 1314 times)
flinger

« on: March 05, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »

Grin Hi there I am new to this forum but not new to C/L and Clown Racing. I spent a great deal of time since December building three new racers and out of the mess I have 2 new Clowns and one Buster (SIG) for supposed G/Y racing. Right the three are in the final assembly waiting for the wings to glue up and finishing the pushrod attachments and off to the covering and paint shops. Fortunately my club runs two classes of Clwon for the new "kids" on the street to get their air legs, as it where. So one Clown has a Norvel. 15 and the other a Fox .15 bb and the Buste has another Fox .15bb as well. There is another Clown that's going to have a Rivarossi .15 in it in the waiting room. Brodak cannot sell the Clown because of the Lonestar Fire but I have patterns and will make the next one with decent wood cut properly. I personally think the Brodak kits have generally poorly cut and poor wood as well. So what've you got and where do you fly. Let's kick off this Speed and Racing forum. Cool
Mike Taylor

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 09:07:12 PM »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is 'clown racing'? It sounds like an appropriate activity for a lot of the guys I fly with Wink
flinger

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:01:44 AM »

Grin Well lessee---Clown Racing is a team race event which uses engines in the .15-.19 cu.in. class--the models are all PDQ Clowns---rekitted by Brodak. The Clown is essentially a smallish stunt plane but with a good engine out there can turn in 170+ laps in 7'30"---since it is a team race (T/R) there is a "pilot" and a "pitman"---the tank contains a specified amount of fuel---so there will be at least two - three tank refills during the race and that's where the pitman (mechanic) has to refill the tank and re start the engine for the race to continue until the time limit is reached. It's flown with a maximum total of three pilots in the ring with all kinds of passing and manuvering and landings for refills. It can be an example of a Balinese Fire Drill with a lot of fun, some spectacular crashes, but a great deal of fun. There are many other different types of team racing in existence today---each with it's own distinct aircraft specifications and rules---it's basically speed mixed in with the T/R element---with up to four pilots in the ring and planes up to 140 + mph in speed. Hope that clarifies that issue. Wanna try??? Cool
Mike Taylor

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 11:33:41 AM »

That a good explanation. Thanks. As far as trying it, I would have to go back to nitro! I don't know if I could do that - my cars have leather seats now Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: