Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 11:14:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Making Small Spoked Wheels?  (Read 3571 times)
PiperCub49
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Topic starter
Cub Crazy!!!

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:31:46 AM »

Are there any good tutorials (or any at all for that matter! Undecided) on making scale spoked wheels for dime and peanut scale planes?

Thanks,
PC49
Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Kudos: 129

Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:59:47 PM »

Check this out. Might be just what you're looking for...

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php/topic,123.msg502.html#msg502

Ratz

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
Alan Cohen
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 03:19:33 PM »

Or, instead of spending half a day making your own, you could just buy a pair and then go to the beach ;^)

<shameless plug>

www.nswheels.com
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Making Small Spoked Wheels?

I know enough to know, I'll never know enough to know.

www.hobbyspecialties.com
PiperCub49
Silver Member

Topic starter
Cub Crazy!!!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »

Thanks. I suppose it hurts either way- knowing that you have to spend so much time making these beauties or knowing that you are going to spend $30 on a pair. Wink It looks like a fun challenge to try to build them though.

-PC49
GRB
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 12:26:05 PM »

There was an article in one of Bill Hannans Stick & Tissue magazines on this. I can't remember right off which issue it was in but it was worth reading.

Gwyl
Thayer
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »

Thanks. I suppose it hurts either way- knowing that you have to spend so much time making these beauties or knowing that you are going to spend $30 on a pair. Wink It looks like a fun challenge to try to build them though.

PC49,

In a past life I decided to make some spoked wheels for a model, linked below. The first pair took me 8 hours and didn't look nearly this nice. I eventually reduced the build time enough so I thought I could make some money at it, and ended up selling about 100 pairs before I gave it up. Trust me, $30 is a bargain. At this point I would spend the money long before pulling out my old tooling.

I am pretty sure this model is wearing the first pair I made, maybe the second. Not a great photo, but it gives you an idea. http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpages/models/bell1.html

Basically what you do for lightweight balsa wheels is to mill one half the wheel/tire, lay it in a jig that holds it concentric around your hub, then lace the spokes around a series of pins that are outside the wheel. Once the spokes are laced, glue on the second half, let the glue cure, then slice the spokes where they extend past the tires. A spot or two of paint and you are done.

Doesn't sound so hard, does it? Smiley

Here is an obsolete page on my web site that shows what my production wheels looked like. Note that I am no longer selling them, so any info to that effect is to be ignored.
http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpages/models/wheels.html

Thayer
PiperCub49
Silver Member

Topic starter
Cub Crazy!!!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 04:05:11 PM »

Thayer,

Thanks for the help. That's straight and to the point. If it's so much work to make them, you might as well just buy them! Wink

-PC49
SBlanchard
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 12:44:39 PM »

Don't give up so easily. I have a great video that I bought from Hannan's Runway a few years back about scale details and how to make them. One of the tutorials on this video was about making spoked wheels. It was a fairly simple method with beautiful results. Don't get me wrong, they are time consuming and have quite a few steps to create but it's not complicated. There's nothing in the making of these wheels that you haven't at least touched on when building a model that would require spoked wheels. I will try and find where you could buy this Video. Trust me it's an excellent video that I keep going back to from time to time. My biggest issue with buying spoked wheels for $30.00 a set (That's what I would sell them for as well if I was to sell them) is that there is not one plane that I would stuff $30.00 cash into and launch in hopes that it will return to me. If it was indoors then maybe it'd be OK. But as cool as all of my OOS flights have been, they still leave a hole on my wall where the plane used to hang. It would be more painful if there was a $30.00 hole in my wallet as well. I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy the wheels. I'm just saying that maybe you should try to build them first. Who knows, you just may enjoy building the wheels as much as building the airplane. The good thing about doing things like spoked wheels is that once you have all of the jigs and tools and you have one done it just gets easier. Just like carving props.

Good luck,

Steve
Thayer
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 02:25:42 PM »

I agree with Steve, they are definitely worth making, and it is a lot of fun when some asks about them to say casually, "Oh, those? I made them a while back."

It isn't hard, just takes some time and willingness to give it a go. Kind of like building a stick and tissue model to begin with.

Thayer
Alan Cohen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 03:29:01 PM »

I also agree that it's fun to try and worth the effort. I disagree however that losing a $30 pair of wheels OOS would hurt more than one's I spent all afternoon making. Wink

www.hobbyspecialties.com
SBlanchard
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 04:16:12 PM »

When I started fly fishing I of course used flies bought at the fly-shop. But once I started making my own and catching fish with them there was no going back. Some of those flies are almost as hard to make as spoked wheels. but I got good at it and not only did I get a kick out of my creations fooling the trickiest of Trout, I also saved about $300.00 a season on flies. I would fish at least twice a week and all year round. I fished in the rain, snow, sun and sometimes even wind (that's the worst weather for fly fishing). You can go through a couple of flies on a good hatch and lose a few more trying. I even built my own fly rod many years ago that I still use to this day.

One of things that I really like about this hobby that we do is that most of us build it all from scratch. If we need tiny exhaust pipes we forage through our lawns for the perfect weed. There have got to be a dozen ways or more to simulate cooling fins on and engine cylinder. It's great to read about all of the tips and tricks every month in whatever newsletters or magazines we subscribe to. This is the stuff that excites me. There are certainly things I'd prefer not to have to do such as canopies but I make them when I have to.

Thayer kind of hit the nail on the head with the comment about telling people you made them yourself. I take a lot of pride in the things I do myself.

By the way Alan, you make some absolutely beautiful spoked wheels and some great carved props as well. They are well worth the price for the craftsmanship and time you've invested. I hope you have great success.

Steve
PiperCub49
Silver Member

Topic starter
Cub Crazy!!!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »

I see where you are coming from. If I where to get them, I would probably have to make them, since it would feel so wrong buying such a magnificent work of craftsmanship. I couldn't take credit for someone else's work of art. Now I just need a plane to put them on... Roll Eyes

-PC49
PiperCub49
Silver Member

Topic starter
Cub Crazy!!!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 08:15:27 PM »

Wow. Looking back at my post on October 4th, I see that the comment made was very narrow-minded. That sounds horrible! I should have just said, "Well, if it takes effort, why not just buy it?" That's not quite what we are after in the hobby. Undecided :'(

-PC49
SBlanchard
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 01:01:51 PM »

PC49,

There was nothing wrong with your comment. We all have different things that we want to accomplish in this hobby. My comments were only made to show my approach to the hobby and what I like to get out of it. Now, with all that I've said I should let you know that I have made embryos and thrown plastic wheels on that I have bought. I didn't make those. They cost about 50 cents and at that cost I made the decision to not invest an hour making a pair of balsa wheels that I would have an even greater chance of losing OOS. It's a balancing act in this hobby and the only one you need to make happy is you. I just hate to see someone not at least try something just because it seems so hard to do. Always give it a go first and then you can say "I'll never do that again".

Steve
Alan Cohen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 10:18:47 PM »

Very well put Steve.

www.hobbyspecialties.com
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 02:20:27 AM »

I just bought two pair of Alan's wheels. I have to say that it would take me longer to make a pair of wheels than to build the rest of the airplane. And, I could never come close to the quality of Alan's wheels.
GRT

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 05:12:30 AM »

On my Bleriot I'm using a pair of NS wheels as well.

Without them the model would only look half as good. Worth every penny in my opinion.

G
Mike Taylor

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 10:03:20 AM »

I bought some of Alan's first attempts at making these, and went back and bought more. I have enough dexterity issues in dealing with the small parts of the model, let alone wheels. They are a fraction of the weight of the ones I bought from the UK, draw a lot of attention and, yes, I have built models just to wear the wheels...
Graiskye
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 04:28:04 PM »

There was a great article a few years back in FM I believe on how to make simple spokers. I made a few pairs, the method worked worked well. 'Dare Designs' used to sell kits as well, they were based on this method, or vice versa. Dare might still sell them.

Wish I knew what FM issue, but alas.
-G.

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
Graiskye
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 01:34:22 PM »

Hey guys just to be thorough, here's a link to the Dare site, check out the price for a kit, make sure to take into account shipping ,exchange etc...

I think given the choice,'tween buying a kit to make some, or a pair of Allan's beauties, well I think Id save some time, and get a pair of awesome wheels in the meantime.

That said they are NOT hard to make, anyone who has finished a model of moderate difficulty will have no problems.
-G.

OOOps link:
http://www.darehobby.com/accessories/wheels-parts.htm

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
algy
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 07:10:04 PM »

Hi,

I make my own.
It's one of things that has kept me interested in this hobby for so long. Always new ideas to try. New ways of doing things, new problems to solve.

Plus the pleasure felt, when looking at your latest model, that everything on it was made by yourself. From the hand carved prop to the spoked wheels Smiley (But not of course the small wrinkles in the wing tips:(

Cheers
Algy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: