Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 20, 2019, 11:02:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Foam Freeflight Builds  (Read 19368 times)
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: November 20, 2015, 01:15:27 AM »

Agree with all of the above!  Exceptionally beautiful model.

Don
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: November 20, 2015, 02:01:28 AM »

Agree- very nicely done. Looks great!
DaveWC
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: November 20, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »

Thanks everyone.
bcarter1234
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: November 24, 2015, 10:07:01 AM »

Dave,

Any chance you are in Florida?  Wink

It was good to come back and see this thread had some activity. Outstanding work on these. Foam can be addictive. Two additional benefits you will come to appreciate are the comparative crash damage resistance and no concern about dew or humidity.

Would you mind weighing some components before and after applying and sanding the polycrylic? I've only done some cursory testing with it. Another sealer I tested was regular Elmer's white glue mixed with 70% isopropyl alcohol. It seemed lighter than polycrylic but I haven't compared toughness or how they take paint. It will be hard to beat polycrylic for ease of use though.

Currently playing with this while watching TV in the evening. 1mm depron, 3.9 grams as shown, 13" wingspan. Depron is much tougher than blue foam but also quite a bit heavier. 1mm is 4.5 pounds per cubic foot. You can sand 2mm down to get much lower density but you add a good deal more work and lose stiffness. Depron is completely different to work with than blue foam, almost as different as foam from balsa.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s307/bcarter1234/20151124_092614_zpsf5nhynhv.jpg

Foam Freeflight Builds
DaveWC
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: November 24, 2015, 04:59:20 PM »

We live in Texas. I will do some weights before and after PolyC on the P-47 and Typhoon but my scale is not the best. I spent the last 24 hours in a hospital recovery room with my wife she had a C4-C5 disc replacement in her neck and is doing fine, however I did manage to draw the P-47 and Typhoon in 1/32 scale last night. We came home today, she was sleeping so I had a few cold ones and got the rough shaping done on the fuselages. Nice looking Spitfire I have plans for a clipped wing version, after the A-20.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Foam Freeflight Builds
bcarter1234
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: November 24, 2015, 06:48:05 PM »

Dave,

Glad to hear your wife is recovering well.

Your fuselages look outstanding. Great job on the wing cutting jig as well, I'll also have to build one to reduce sanding time. I'm tempted to invert it though so the top of the end plates would be concave rather than convex. The first cut would provide the undercamber in the bottom of the wing which you could sand smooth while it was still part of the block. You could even cut a shaped sanding block from foam for the task. The second cut would be the top which I find easier to sand.

Have you seen one of these lightweights fly yet? I'm amazed at how well they do. 

Once I get good templates for cutting the pieces for the Spitfire fuselage, wing and stabilizer I'll post them so anyone can give building from sheet foam a try.

Keep up the excellent work. Please consider doing the He111.  Wink
DaveWC
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: November 24, 2015, 07:33:56 PM »

Thanks if you need medical care Houston is the place, we have a large Medical Refugee population.
The photos show a stack of wing blanks, the second photo shows why I keep the top and bottom offcut to support the blank during sanding.
I did get a few trim flights on the Bearcat and I am very happy with it. I see no reason it won't do a minute with ease and it looks so good making slow circles.
I am amazed how light they are coming out and being able to adjust all the flight surfaces is making trimming a snap as well.
piecost
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: November 24, 2015, 08:40:47 PM »

Some excellent progress. I look forward to seeing how they turn out. I would also appreciate any details of the finishing and painting; the quality of finish and before and after weights.

Am I correct in thinking that the Spitfire has a curved depron fuselage? It looks great. Can you explain how you achieved the curves without creasing? I wonder if it is possible to colour the sheets by running them through an inkjet printer? Or using one of those iron-on T-shirt printing sheets?

I would love to get some more details of the bearcat. Perhaps you could share the rubber size when you get a minute out of it?
bcarter1234
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: November 25, 2015, 09:42:33 AM »

Dave,

Those wing blanks look very smooth is that before or after any sanding? Any chance for some video of the Bearcat in flight? The ease of adding movable control surfaces is a significant benefit of sheet construction whether styrofoam, depron or balsa. 

Piecost,
The Spitfire is of curved 1mm depron sheet except for the nose and the bottom section in front of the wing. The wings were baked on a simple jig at 235 F for 20 minutes. Some swear by just cold forming on a rounded table edge them as well.

You could certainly print this sheet as well. The depron needs to be cleaned with alcohol and then coated with InkAid. The resulting surface will take ink just like a good quality paper. The trick is aligning the sheet to print the second side. I'll be trying this soon. I want to get a shape I'm happy with first. My other concern is whether or not the printing would hold up to having low tack tape pulled off during the assembly process.     

Do a search for these threads, "1/72nd mk1 Spitfire build and fly thread" and "4" Spitfire Flies! (believe it or not)" by rguillot and you will find information on another forum that will provide instructions and a printable template to cut it from sheet once you scale it up to the span you want. I don't know if it is OK to post the link here. I'll post my template once I'm happy with the shape. I actually started with the Fiddlers Green paper model as template.

Take the cut piece of foam and roll over the areas that need curved with various round objects. I started with a plastic bottle of about 1-1/2" diameter backing the foam up with my fingers or my thigh. You can pretty quickly go to a smooth round pencil. The last rolling of the tightest radii were done with a long 1/8" jobbers drill bit though tubing would work as long as you can apply pressure without bending the tube.

You'll likely get some creasing on the inside but the outside should remain pretty smooth. There is a learning curve but it is not very steep and the depron is cheap.       

Add supports for your motor peg. I used two small squares of 1/32 balsa with the grain vertical. The vertical fin and rudder are glued first. Carefully line up the rear turtledeck and hold the seam with some small strips of tape. Once you are satisfied glue the seam. Add a strip of depron to the inside of the seam for strength. The strip can be tapered from about 5/16" wide at the front to 3/16" or less in the rear. Use a thin rod to roll this tight against the inside. You can then sand the outside of the seam to finish rounding it off. Repeat with the section in front of the cockpit. There are no formers inside the fuselage. 

Here is the Spitfire balanced for glide testing at 5.9gr. Shooting to stay under 8gr when the missing parts and paint are added.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s307/bcarter1234/20151125_082851_zpsr6t1ocah.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s307/bcarter1234/20151125_082826_zpsbir9tplg.jpg

Raw video of its first two test glides.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21v-dMcXVJU
Foam Freeflight Builds
Foam Freeflight Builds
DaveWC
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: November 25, 2015, 12:36:04 PM »

The wing blanks take a light sanding on the underside then the TE is tapered on the top surface, round the leading edge and there done.
I don't have a video camera but I think my wife has one at work, when she recovers.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: November 25, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »

Impressive Spitfire BC and not a bad glide either.

John
bcarter1234
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: November 26, 2015, 12:12:36 PM »

John,

Thanks. It will certainly be the easiest free flight plane I've ever built. I hope some more people will give this method a shot.

I've also got this 16" Nieuport 11 I did some time back from printed depron that should fly okay. No test glides yet. I still need to finish the cowl. It is probably a good candidate for electric but I'll fly it on rubber first. The flying surfaces are all two layers as I didn't try printing both sides. Weighs 20 grams as shown so it is no lightweight.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s307/bcarter1234/20151126_120315_zpsagvv44rf.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s307/bcarter1234/20151126_120348_zps8ia8jb3f.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s307/bcarter1234/20151126_120355_zps0c2i6piv.jpg

Foam Freeflight Builds
Foam Freeflight Builds
Foam Freeflight Builds
DaveWC
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2015, 01:51:11 PM »

Nice looking Nieuport, how did you apply the Inkaid ? When my current builds are done I am going to have a go at a Pfalz D12 and may try printing the wings.
Just had a look at the video, good looking test glides, time to put some power to it !
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 02:05:42 PM by DaveWC » Logged
bcarter1234
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: November 26, 2015, 07:51:04 PM »

Dave,

I cut up about 6 or so 8-1/2 x 14 sheets of 1mm depron. Wiped them down with alcohol then sprayed Inkaid on using an airbrush in a few light coats. I went one direction for the first coat then 90 degrees to that for the second. It dries very quickly and dulls as it does so. A coated sheet begins to look a bit like coated paper made for inkjet printing. You can put it on with a sponge or brush but you'll get a more even coat from the airbrush.

My thought on the Nieuport was that the heavier plane might handle a little breeze better than the lighter stuff. The wings are folded over a piece of 1/16 square balsa as a spar to provide the foil section. I really should play with trying to line the sheet up for two sided printing as one layer bent for undercamber would reduce the weight and flying speed considerably.   
Tommy Wee
Silver Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2016, 08:10:10 AM »

Started on a fuselage yesterday. A peanut, original (Albatros W.4) had plywood covered fuselage and I am looking for that solid look. Everything else will be built up. Might also try to make one fuselage from depron, just to compare weights. This one weighs 1.17 grams for the half that is almost ready.

Tommy

P.S. Looking at the photos earlier in this thread it seems that I really should take out more material. Will also check how much the stuff used weighs per cubic meter.

P.S.S. Checked, too heavy stuff. Around 37kg per cubic meter. Should have ckecked before carving. Good practise anyway.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:32:41 AM by Tommy Wee » Logged

A builder of some, a master of none.
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2016, 10:24:49 AM »

I think there is a lot to be explored in the hybrid foam+built-up-stick-and-tissue method. If solid foam wings are too heavy, then a balsa built-up version should be lighter. Sounds like a way to get the best from both methods.
Tommy Wee
Silver Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: December 10, 2016, 06:06:49 AM »

That is what I was thinking about Tom. As the wings/tail and fuselage were totally different looking I want to keep it that way. Fuselage looks solid, others have a see-through structure. Probably will make the floats from foam, too.
No interest in doing the wings from foam as they were built up and fabric covered.

Fuselage halves done, 1.09 and 1.10 grams for a total of 2.19 grams. Haven't found any lighter foam yet, will continue next week. Dow Floormate isn't sold here, a Finnish similar but heavier one is the market dominator here where I live. Will check what the local Bauhaus is selling.

Tommy

A builder of some, a master of none.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: December 10, 2016, 11:10:30 AM »

Tommy,
why not try an email to Tonda or Robert?  Tonda seems to have the secret to foam builds well in hand, judging from the planes he had at the IIFI!

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
DWCollins
Bronze Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: July 28, 2019, 11:22:16 AM »

Here are a few shots of my new Fokker DVII at 1/24 scale. Construction is pink foam covered in printed tissue, test glides look promising.
DWCollins
Bronze Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: August 03, 2019, 10:58:15 AM »

This 20" E-3 has been on and off for the past year and it's finally ready to fly.
All blue foam and airbrushed with MM enamels. Wing loading is .49gm sq in. so it should be a good flier, I hope. That includes the lead ingot in the nose !
piecost
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: August 03, 2019, 12:13:22 PM »

Another nice model. Please lets us know how it flys.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: