Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 04:24:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: B-17 F  (Read 8743 times)
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2017, 06:25:29 PM »

Test run today with all four props:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAFy2pC-6lI

This is on about 250 winds and one loop of 3/32" rubber per motor, approx 1.5x hook to peg.  Should mention that the airplane sound was from outside and unintentional. 
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2017, 06:39:37 PM »

Wow I am convinced! Left side running a little long is this going to be an issue?

The Threadkiller!
FFScott
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2017, 09:50:37 PM »

Wow!  If you could play that aircraft engine sound every time you launch it.....
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2017, 10:03:54 PM »

Thanks Crabby, Scott.  There are a couple small airports not that far away, and YVR is just to the south west so there are always airplanes in the air around us.

I did manage to break one of the three bladers on a test run just prior to recording (now have two broken props).  Note the broken blade and the chip out of the tip of a second blade, so suspect double contact.  I plan to glue the nose blocks in place and wind from the rear, but won't glue until I get a feel for how much down thrust is required.  Also note the bead added to the inboard props to step them forward from the outboard props.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: B-17 F
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2017, 11:22:01 PM »

Grin  how did u do those 3 bladers?
jim Grin
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2017, 12:45:27 AM »

Hi Jim,

I know this guy, who knows this guy, who.........................haha.............

The props were designed by Paul Bradely who sent me the print files.  I have a friend who has a 3D printer who makes props for me.  Unfortunately, the resin used by my friend is not that robust for the thin sections required for small diameter props, hence the blade breakage.  And he can only do small diameter props.

Don

p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2017, 06:23:29 PM »

Grin right Paul Bradley made me some three bladers too 7 inch dia.  i have them on a p40 and a wildcat. they work great.

jim Grin
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2019, 12:38:45 AM »

Hi All,

This is a test.  Have just started to work on my B-17 again, but my Photoshop has kicked the bucket.  Wondering if this attachment showing the nose glass buck will work.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2019, 01:15:12 AM »

Looks pretty good to me!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2019, 09:18:45 PM »

Me too Don. Good to see you back on this.

John
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2019, 11:11:32 PM »

Thanks Dave, John.  I got side tracked with some other things and lost track of time.  Anyway, the plan is to finish the model and fly it this summer.  Just doing the bucks for some of the glass.  The lump in the back ground will eventually become the ball turret. 
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2019, 12:11:35 AM »

Don't you just love all the bits you have to make to build these models, I've just been doing the same thing for my Avia and had out one of 2 boxes of Plugs (Bucks) left over from previous models. This is the smaller of my 2 boxes  Grin
    Great to see this type of modelling, watching with interest.
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2019, 12:24:56 PM »

Looking good Don...glad to see you're back to modeling the B-17...I love the looks so far!  Your plugs look great!
Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2019, 12:42:33 PM »

Don the ball turret, whats the diameter work out to? And are you gonna have it rotate?

The Threadkiller!
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2019, 02:25:02 PM »

Agree Dave, I too have a bag of plugs from previous models.  Thanks Tom.  As mentioned I didn't realize how long I had left it on the shelf.

Hi Crabby:  the ball turret is approx .875" flat to flat, and approx .96" dia.  I'm almost certain I won't make it able to rotate, mostly because it may take the brunt of the load when the model returns to terra firma.  Also, the diameters are a guess, scaled from a not so detailed drawing.  If I have to redo a plug or two because they are the wrong size, no big deal.  Hope to try vac forming the 'glass' tonight.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2019, 06:43:29 AM »

Hmmm..... you might find that getting the "glass" off the buck will be a bt of a b****r as it might wrap itself under the buck. Wink Cheesy Cheesy 

Never mind careful treatment will prevail.  Oh and is there a trace of woodworm in some of the timber??
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2019, 12:22:56 PM »

Hi David,

Did manage to remove the 'glass' from the bucks without too much trouble.  (That's code for pass the larger hammer).  The lower ball turret is more or less fitted and have taped the nose glass in place.  The upper turret I made is too big so will have to make a smaller version.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2019, 07:28:33 PM »

Neat Don. The glazing makes a big difference.

John
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2019, 10:56:15 PM »

Thanks John.  Agree, the nose glass does sorta finish the 'look'.  Have re-done the upper turret buck and will do another this coming Friday.  (Slot car friend has a vac form that works; we race on Friday nights).
steveneill
FAC Squadron Ventura Model Aviators
Silver Member

Kudos: 44

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2019, 12:54:11 AM »

Don this is amazing. Great work.

Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2019, 04:54:53 AM »

Good to see this off the shelf, Don. Good stuff.

Stephen.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2019, 07:03:01 AM »

Good am Don, so far I am glad you have had little or no trouble getting the acetate off the “buck” (?) but I have had a few troubles, and I was able to get it off pretty 1-2-3 with a little blast (or three) of compressed air. This is advice for those who can take it or leave it! Roll Eyes Glad you are back on the Fortress! I still have a multi half done glaring at me!

The Threadkiller!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »

I have to say it is looking remarkably nice!  Are you going to produce it as a kit?  Would be nice. I think Astral did one (before you were borne) but it was rather larger and the wood was awful.  Have you decided on a colour scheme - like the picture?  There were some very good ones and you skills with printing and cutting tissue will make it pretty easy.

I wish I could work out why these small models are so aesthetically pleasing, apart from being practical.  Your 17 is a prime example.
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2019, 01:45:29 PM »

Thank you for the kind comments.

David, I was originally going to build the Memphis Bell (B-17f) or one of the other f models where there is some reasonable documentation.  But in searching around I found that there was a B-17f piloted by Captain Hascall C McClellan (very similar last name).  Unfortunately the airplane and crew were lost on a mission over Wilhelmshafen on 22 March 1943:   https://b17flyingfortress.de/en/b17/42-29659-liberty-belle/  So am building 42-29659.  Because it was lost after a week of it's arrival, I haven't been able to find any pictures of the airplane, so will be guessing at a lot of the detail.  I've had the tissue 'worked out' for a long time and will do some test prints soon.  And David, no plans to do a kit.

Crabby, thank you for the compressed air tip. 
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2019, 11:08:20 PM »

A wise man on this board once said building a rubber powered model airplane is 90% building the structure and 90% figuring out the details.  Right now I think I'm half way between.

Not a lot of work on my B-17 lately other than rearranging a few things.  I did provide the opening for the upper turret and redid a few sticks here and there aft of the turret.  (First pic).  I still have more to rearrange before covering. 

Also, have been undecided how to do the windows in the nose area.  Initially thought I would print the windows on tissue but the current thinking is it wouldn't look right because of the clear glass at the nose.  Have decided to 'frame' the windows with balsa sheet (second pic).  I will have to do a little sanding and a lot of bending and fiddling in order to fit the window sheets to the nose of the fuse.  Note that the window sheets were cut using my craft cutter and I did a few spares, just in case.  Then there is only the other 90% to go.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: