Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2019, 03:37:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Diesel power.  (Read 660 times)
scrowoash
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Zimbabwe Zimbabwe

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2017, 10:12:10 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice. I want to build a Dick Sarpolus half a Spitfire. I was wondering if a 1cc diesel will be sufficient power?
Where I live in Zambia, I cannot obtain high nitro fuel for a TD engine but making up diesel fuel is no problem. The engine is a ED Bee mk1.

Thanks in advance.

Scrowoash.
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 09:36:30 PM »

Hi Scrowoash,
How much info do you have about model diesels? Are you aware that you need ether in your fuel. Ether is difficult to access in some countries but is essential in diesel fuel.

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
scrowoash
Bronze Member

Zimbabwe Zimbabwe

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 05:00:12 AM »

Yes I can get Ether. Being involved in agriculture here, the chemical suppliers we deal with are able to supply as a favor.
The other option is John Deere starting fluid which is available here and has the highest Ether content of all starter fluid manufacturers.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 05:14:29 AM »

I had no idea what this model was so I looked it up, and it seems to be a 31" CL trainer, designed for a TD049. Even that seems underpowered  and a Mk1 Bee will barely move it. You will be spending a lot of time running backwards, I think!
scrowoash
Bronze Member

Zimbabwe Zimbabwe

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 05:25:32 AM »

Hi Billdennis,

Yes, after some research, i have also found the Bee to be unsuitable. I have found since i posted that question some 30% nitro fuel in South Africa which I am able to road courier to me in Zambia. 5 litres will cost me 60 bucks including delivery. I have a tee dee 051 which ran once since i got it new in 1981. Now that i have found fuel, that is what i plan to use.
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

United States United States

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 09:35:22 AM »

Most of the high nitro fuel over here does not have as much oil as your TeeDee requires.  The oil needs to be 20% and at least 1/2 castor oil (ricen).  All castor would be even better.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: