Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2019, 04:57:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VMC Blue Spitfire Build  (Read 5395 times)
avrovulcan
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2019, 06:05:14 PM »

That's a shame, it was a lovely looking Spitfire.

Your build has also helped me with my Spitfire.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2019, 07:40:09 PM »

Sad news Abl. It seems to be the test of trimming - to get the best out of a scale Spitfire. From what you have said -s peed has a lot to do with issue - ie Re No's and to me this may possibly imply that a thinner airfoil section would be better.
John
abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2019, 04:54:34 AM »

That's a shame, it was a lovely looking Spitfire.

Your build has also helped me with my Spitfire.

Thanks, kind of you to say so.

Sad news Abl. It seems to be the test of trimming - to get the best out of a scale Spitfire. From what you have said -s peed has a lot to do with issue - ie Re No's and to me this may possibly imply that a thinner airfoil section would be better.
John

Well, it's a pretty thin airfoil to begin with, it certainly looks as though it's quite a bit thinner than scale. The airframe as a whole is very slippery and it glides surprisingly fast (needs a good push to get up to flying speed) which is partly why I'm saying that I think it would benefit from another couple of degrees of negative tail incidence - that should slow things down quite a bit (after adding more nose ballast, of course) and might get it away from the area where dive/zoom under power becomes a problem.

Andy
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2019, 04:31:01 AM »

Phugoid dynamic instability is an interesting animal. It appears from a quick check that the clean design of the Spit model is not helping as extra drag would help to stop the constant climb and dive. This coupled with perhaps a bit too much static stability helps the variation in the flight path to continue.

Perhaps a slight reduction in Static stability would help?

Anyway I guess you would have tried that in any case.

Happy Flying.

John
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: