Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 02:34:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Blast from the past....  (Read 939 times)
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »

Decades ago, in the SMAE Northern Area, one of my friends - now sadly departed -  ran a postal contest for 'unorthodox' models; the criteria .... anything other than a 'standard' high or low  wing.   Canards, tailless, biplanes, etc. were welcomed but restricted to a total wing/stab area of 165 sq. in.   Any power plant ... rubber, CO2, internal combustion ... was eligible.   I figured that he was tongue in cheek with the latter type of propulsion being as the model had to be so small but .. a challenge is a challenge.

Thus was created "Lil' Bleeder" .... a  .020 PeeWee powered high-thrust biplane of  23" span.  It was so christened by an onlooker who saw it inflight and exclaimed "Just look at that lil' bleeder go up"      Has a fast climb in a loose left turn, glides surprisingly well for its size ..  I give it a flight every four/five years in memory of my buddy.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Blast from the past....
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:28:30 PM »

My rubber powered 'entry' was this simple lightweight biplane "Eckie Thump"  (don't ask... don't ask...)  which turned in steady two minute flights and even maxed out in Open Rubber before finally lost to crops in pre-tracker days.
Re: Blast from the past....
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 278

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:54:30 PM »

Jim,
You really do have an eye for a model.  My memory just won't recall things to order now but of course there was the 'Walkin' shoes'.  Everytime I see it I say to myself: 'I wish I could say I designed that'. Then I think there was a range of elliptical wing models. The 'Ten Spot' pulled out of the hat recently and now two biplanes conjured up from somewhere.  Every thing you shew us always looks 'Fit for purpose'.  Well done Jim.
John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »

Kind words, John - thank you.

I have some sport models that rarely .. if ever ... come out of the box.  I just do not have time to fly the on the few flying opportunities each year, when I'm more taken up with contest stuff.

This was built through the winter of 2006/7.  No 'design' .... just some pencilled ideas that started off as a basic slab-side cabin model that got changed along the way. The sheet sides were cut down aft of the wing and a turtle deck substituted, undercarriage changed to tricycle format, engine went sideways  .. etc.     Finally turned  out as pictured,  powered by a 0.4cc Mills replica. Has only been aired on a couple of occasions for a total of maybe 6-7 flights.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 03:20:02 PM »

Applehoney 320/ PAW 1.5cc

Also   A-H 420/ SuperTigre G15 five minutes before it was stolen from the roadside at Geneseo  .....   grrr    ....

and not least, a couple from the '70s at a Barkston Nationals.  Had hair then .....
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:15:20 PM by applehoney » Logged
TRuss
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 07:42:43 PM »

I hope you continue with this thread Mr. Moseley.  About how big is that open rubber bipe?
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 07:47:05 PM »

No real recollection - the old pencil sketches are long gone  - maybe about 20"-22" ....  give or take.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 08:30:12 PM »

AH 220
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »

1/2A  Nostalgia :   Fubar 36,   OK Cub .049

1/4A Oldtime Replica :  Kerswap,   TD.020     

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 04:27:08 AM »

The AH 220 caught my eye Jim, very elegant - it must have been a labour of love though.

I bet it was stiff and strong for it's weight though.

Thanks for the flash backs.

John
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 12:43:31 PM »

I could have built two 'standard' 1/2A's in the time this took to put together.      Was an attempt to have a fast model for short-run flyoffs and I made every effort to get it down to 5 ounces; missed that target by about a third of an ounce.

KustomKraft TD.049 with chromed shaft, Nelson head, pacifier feed and 65% nitro.    Weight saving .... mounting lugs filed off and a backplate radial mount employed, no rear casing on Tatone timer, lots of 1/32 balsa  (1/64 in fin ) and Japanese tissue covering. 

Very fast... and a d/t failure took it into the forest on 4th flight.  Never had the heart to do it all over again.
FLYBOY49
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 02:10:01 PM »

Jim,

I really like the looks of that red and black,  high wing,  twin tailed model.

Sure wish there were plans so I could make one.

Van...
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 02:22:05 PM »

Van - it's just the snow in one photo that appeals to you ... homely ....    Grin

Sorry, no formal plans were drawn,  just a few pencil lines on the board and also on sheet balsa fuselage sides ... which got changed as work progressed.  Wings were partially built over a plan from another airplane that had chord and rib spacing I had in mind and I just added tip taper and spar structure according to wishes at the time.

Were I to do it again I'd have a smaller tab and longer moment arm but that ain't gonna happen....
FLYBOY49
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 04:06:59 PM »

Thanx, Jim.

I fully understand.

I once built a model with just a straight line drawn onna plans and it had measured tick marks for where the ribs and such should go.  Squared 'em up with a little draftsman's triangle, etc.

Still, that one you made looks very tempting.

Van...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 07:23:34 PM »

Very fast... and a d/t failure took it into the forest on 4th flight.  Never had the heart to do it all over again

I suppose it only happens to the best models.

Thanks Jim.

Hey what's all this never business? You're still too young for that.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: