Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 26, 2019, 09:56:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: No-Cal P-47 Thunderbolt - BUILD  (Read 7194 times)
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2015, 07:07:59 PM »

Thanks for inspiring the following question: Why do so few NOCALS ever get started by modelers when they haave time, material, plans up the wazoo and props and needed acessories readily availabe ? I like them fine but no one here in San Antonio,Tx remembers when we used to fly them regularly. In fact the first time I saw rubbber models flying, NOCALS were the order of the day.It was a Wittman Olds powered Tailwind in fact. The winner that day was flying his in his first ever contest. He was the most suprised of all the modelers present.

Allen,
Can we see yours here?
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 10:21:44 PM »

My NOCALS have all bit the dust sad to say, but I intend to have more so I can fly quicker. They are really swell to see from the one side. That is if they come down. I also like them because the cost is very reasonable.I also like the FAC Rules that allow official flights an unlimited amount of time. You know NO MAX TIME when timing flights.
rick121x
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 01:22:47 PM »

Here's a note about my tissue remarks in message 22. After removing the printed tissue from the backing paper, I find it necessary to iron it flat again. The tissue may have become fairly crinkly in certain areas of the printing. Then you have a wonderfully flat tissue for easy application to that fragile framework.

Per instructions from Paul Bradley, I use a glue stick for adhesive... and this is an art. I lightly "lick" the glue stick to soften the adhesive material slightly and gently rub onto the balsa. Allow to dry... 5 or 10 minutes maybe.  Then I apply another coat of the glue stick adhesive - one of those lessons learned by tissue adhesion failures.

Carefully aligning the tissue outlines - and I stress "carefully", over the structure, I use a Monocote Trim Iron to apply the tissue - similarly to applying Monocote on a large model. The heat activates the adhesive very nicely! It seems like a strange thing to be doing on such a small model, but it works just great. I am sure that there would be solvents to reactivate the glue stick adhesive but I have not been willing to risk "running" the colors on my carefully printed tissue.

Happy tissue work, everybody! Richard Ranney

Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 04:30:32 PM »

My NOCALS have all bit the dust sad to say, but I intend to have more so I can fly quicker. They are really swell to see from the one side. That is if they come down. I also like them because the cost is very reasonable.I also like the FAC Rules that allow official flights an unlimited amount of time. You know NO MAX TIME when timing flights.

Allen,
Sorry to hear that your NOCALS have all flown away.
Dave

FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 04:55:36 PM »

I do have spare motor sticks ,props and tissue. So who  knows when another Gosling or Witman Tailwind, or one of the others will get a boost. Especially some of the tail less types designed by Al Backstrom reappear. Soon I hope. That would also include the Chambermaid.Another one was a Polish Fighter with the wing on top that bent down over the open cockpit. Just don't remember number it's proper id.

The Gosling nocal was designed by Dave Linstrum and was the best flyer for me.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 05:08:37 PM »

I do have spare motor sticks ,props and tissue. So who  knows when another Gosling or Witman Tailwind, or one of the others will get a boost. Especially some of the tail less types designed by Al Backstrom reappear. Soon I hope. That would also include the Chambermaid.Another one was a Polish Fighter with the wing on top that bent down over the open cockpit. Just don't remember number it's proper id.

The Gosling nocal was designed by Dave Linstrum and was the best flyer for me.

Ever take any pictures of these?
If so, please show them.
Dave

FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 10:44:03 PM »

It might take a while but I believe I may have a few. I will look.
outofbalance
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 05:00:24 PM »

Hi Rick121x,

I dug around the basement rafters. The no-cal T-bolt from Jan 2008 is still there. The wings are like potato chips. I guess seven plus years takes its toll, even in the dry Colorado environment. Like your no-cals!

Still lurking now and then, missing Bill Brown and his great FF designs,

OOB
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 04:59:49 PM »

FLYACE,
Don't worry about the pictures as I certainly believe you.
I really like these Indoor no-cals but don't have a place to fly them.
Thanks again,
Dave

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: