Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 04:42:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Big Cub!  (Read 13478 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 122

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2018, 04:47:43 PM »

Kit Scale is all but in the bag, although having seen what happened to some of the carefully pre-trimmed C02 models at Nijmegen, you do still need to ensure that the hall's air temperature at Walsall is exactly the same as it was at Alfreton. That probably means a hefty bung to the building manager. You did take a reading at Alfreton didn't you?  Grin

danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2018, 05:10:31 PM »

I'm afraid I did not. Some throttle tinkering will be in order...

Cheers,

Dan
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 128

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2018, 09:13:48 AM »

Fantastic flight, Dan!  You ARE planning for Nijmegen this year?

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2018, 12:42:07 PM »

Wow, that was impressive. . ! Kudos.

Stephen.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2018, 06:42:18 PM »

Thanks all! I doubt I will get to Nijmegen; much as I'd love to. My crap shift patterns mean that every other weekend I finish at 11pm Friday and am back at 10pm Sunday. If it falls on that weekend (Which it's bound to...!) I'd have to use about 4 days holiday allowance. Even on the other weekend, Friday is a write-off as I'm in bed off nights all day, then back at 2pm Monday.

Bloody awful!

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:01:05 PM by danmellor » Logged
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2018, 08:50:30 PM »

Hi Dan,
          Love the Cub and the way it flys. Kudos to you. Your shift pattern sounds very poor. I used to work 3 days followed by 3 nights of 12 hours, then is was 6 days stand down. When I was the relieving shift officer and ther was no real pattern it was a real killer.   
 My Hacker Cub has a similar pattern but uses a GM120 so the duration is not quite as good. It was reluctant to fly left so it was allowed to go right and seems to be happy with no bad habits. It is nice to see it is not another YHWM! It has been to Australia a number of times and once to the UK to Flying Aces.
I have a query about props after flying the 2x Moorhouse Comper powered by GM120 with a KP 7" prop on instead of the usual Modella offering. The initial climb was definitly better but duration not unexpectely down a little and the turn had opened out on the glide. Have you used this motor prop combination?
I am also wondering how long before a blade breaks but that beats a bent screw.     
Ricky
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2018, 10:27:42 PM »

Hi Ricky!

On the 120, I've never used anything other than the stock Modela prop. I'd be tempted to try one of the Chinese rubber props from EBay. The 7" has a lot more blade area than the Modela. It's the 8" version on the Cub.

The shifts are terrible. We used to do 4 12 hours. 6-6 alternating nights and days. Every Friday off, all weekend and everybody happy. New bloke put in charge decided 5 9 hour shifts was better. Everyone suicidal, no social life as it's rotating afters/nights (Never a free evening) and production is down as nobody gives a toss anymore. Even on paper, it reduced production for me, so it's very bad management or deliberate cruelty. I used to love it, now it's just wage slave drudgery that I couldn't care less about. Genius...

Cheers,

Dan.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2018, 10:33:56 PM »

Thanks for putting that on U Tube Dan as I couldn't see it either before.

I agree with the comments - very impressive. It certainly has more than lived up to your expectations. Don't touch anything.

Lousy luck with the shifts - hope the "genius" has a short shift Smiley

John
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2018, 05:49:54 AM »

Dan,
       That is really interesting because one of the reasons our system was adopted was to give sufficient recovery time. Any shorter gives real safety issues because of accumulative fatique and this was recognised in the 1970's. Has anyone looked at the medical aspects because if you had an incident the boss might be in very hot water if it was proved that fatigue had been a factor. I have had a few scares in my time when we pushed a little too hard but stoped in time.
Back to models I had a tidy up that is long overdue and there were a few surprises on the CO2 front including finding one of the small Brown's that has no tank. I suspect the chances of finding a tank is small but on the off chance do you have any ideas? I have plenty of Telco tanks that could be adapted as an option but they may be on the large side..
Ricky   
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2018, 06:08:59 AM »

Hi Ricky,

I have a couple of spare Brown tanks if you are struggling. They are MJ70 size, though.

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2018, 07:22:20 PM »

Cub came 2nd In Kit Scale! The winner was a lovely little Camel. A far, far braver choice than a staid old J3 and a deserving winner. Great day!

Dan.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2018, 02:56:11 AM »

But it was a very close-fought match Dan (and dead equal in static) and I thought your Cub flew in perfect character, just like the real thing!  Well done!

I posted this video of (I think) its second flight in the Nats thread, but here it is again for consistency: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hy7S9neLUsyyyIKm2
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2018, 03:54:34 PM »

Dan,
      Well done the videos showed a very good flying model, and it is nice to see a cub that is not yellow or with a US registration. Your idea of a stagger wing is interesting but there are a number of models that have flown well using rubber power so there is no reason a CO2 model should not fly well as it will probably be lighter with less nose ballast and less of a power burst at takeoff. Go for it.
Ricky
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2018, 06:33:34 PM »

Hi Ricky,

Like I said, the main thing that put me off the Staggerwing is my desire to modify the u/c to the fixed and spatted version. For Kit Scale, if it's not on the plan, you will get hammered by the static judges. I will get round to it eventually; but just for fun.

Cheers,

Dan.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: