Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 14, 2020, 06:21:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My F1J "gateway model" - Orbiteer  (Read 591 times)
Shackas
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2017, 06:46:06 PM »

After hearing about it some 20 years ago, this weekend I'll be attending my first ever AFFS Champs.
Given that I've really only returned to FF competition in the last couple of months, I'm going in with no expectations and tomorrow will fly a Cat 1 Orbiteer in F1J (8 second motor run allowed for PB engines below 06) and Combined % Open.

The model is a beater that I flew in South Australia some 18 years ago - sorry about the state of the tissue over mylar covering.  Roll Eyes
Back in the day it had a VA Mk II on the front, but in the interest of turning a slightly larger prop I've fitted a Norvel 061. The engine mounting system may look unconventional, but it works and allowed me to use 1/2A combat mounts that I had lying around.

Should be a hoot, and I expect will turn out to be my gateway model to higher performance stuff in the not-too-distant future.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
My F1J "gateway model" - Orbiteer
Shackas
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:29:56 PM »

Well, that was an awful lot of fun!!!

I was only able to fly for one day, but in those 5 hours the Orbiteer clocked up times in two separate events - F1J (5 flights, 1 hr rounds) and Combined % Open (3 flights, no rounds). The scorecard for F1J showed 5 x 2 min maxes (maybe for a 3rd place?), and Combined % showed 3 x 2 min maxes (making the flyoff, which I couldn't attend). There were 2 other flights in F1J, both >2 min, however engine overruns had them listed as attempts.
So, as far as the scorecards go I guess the model went well.

From my personal learning perspective, it was spot-on ... Every launch was safe and pretty-much a repeat of the previous one. This was a wonderful confidence boost and allowed me to focus on other aspects of the competition.

Could I recommend the Orbiteer to others? ABSOLUTELY!  Grin

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: My F1J "gateway model" - Orbiteer
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 10:54:18 PM »

Awesome! Glad you had fun.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
john thompson
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:36:58 AM »

Excellent performance , but how do you find the models in the "Keil Kraft " grass ?
Shackas
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 03:58:29 AM »

how do you find the models in the "Keil Kraft " grass ?

On a couple of occasions, it may have been prayer. On others, dogged persistence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: