Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 16, 2021, 06:10:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Any suggestions?  (Read 970 times)
Pops
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Norway Norway

Topic starter
So many plans and planes, so little time...

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2017, 02:17:06 PM »

Friends,

I've been approached by a young man who got an old Fox .15 stunt engine from his grandfather, and, after overhauling the engine (it runs like a champ!) we discussed if we should build an airplane around it. Now this fella is a pure beginner when it comes to model airplanes and my U/C planes were built in the 70's and 80's around Cox .049's - in other words I do not have the faintest clue on what model to suggest, that would suit this engine. I GUESS something with a full body, high-winged, around 36-40" WS would be in the ballpark but I need your help to cook it down to one model to build. You guys and dolls have the experience here, could you please help?

Thanks in advance! Smiley

Brg

Pops
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 10:11:58 AM »

From my own youth and contemporary with the engine, I suggest C. Mackey's Hummingbird http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=5615&mode=search from our own Plan Gallery.

Greg

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
Pops
Silver Member

Norway Norway

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 11:15:38 PM »

Thanks a bunch, friend! *thumbs up* Smiley

This looks like a sweet little plane, I'll show this to the owner of the engine and then we'll take it from there.

Brg

Pops
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 12:55:21 AM »

Hi Pops,

Since you're asking in a CL forum, I guess that's what you're looking for, if so I'd suggest the Fox 15 would go nicely in either the Gip 46, or the Too up.

Both are free downloads from here, and pass the TLAR test. I haven't built or flown either, but seem to have the right attributes for successful trainers. They look simple to build (& repair if necessary) and have the right sort of dimenstions to fly really well.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 04:36:14 AM »

Well I can confirm that the Too Up flies nicely on the power of an OS Max-10 FSR and 10FP (I've tried both in it...) so I would imagine they are comparable in power to the crossflow Fox 15...if the original poster was referring to a schneurle Fox 15 then there will be power to spare.....and it will whizz round very satisfactorily....possibly requiring longer lines (no bad thing for a beginner, if adequate power is there, as it will slow the rotation rate down a bit) [I'm using 52ft lines with the OS schneurle 10s]

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 04:57:50 AM »

The Hummingbird looks to me like it could do with a bit more structure tying the motor tank area to the rear part of the fuselage.
I would suggest using a 3/8 x 1/8 crutch from the engine bearers down through the fuselage and build it like a Team Racer. It wouldn't be all that much heavier and it would make a nice model.

Just my 2c worth.

I like the plan form though.

John

Pops
Silver Member

Norway Norway

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »

Friends,

First of all, thank you all for your suggestions and advices, so far we are still looking at the Hummingbird since the Gip is a profile ship (we'd like a "full body") and the Too Up just can't be found here...? Searching for "Too Up", "Two Up" or "2Up" - or any other combination, doesn't produce a desirable result. Could I ask for a link, please? Smiley

The engine in question is a '50-'60-ish engine, probably the .15 Rocket. Despite its age it still has good compression and, like I said, runs like a champ.

OZPAF:
Yes, I came to the same conclusion and I'll probably redesign the whole shebang before building it. It's nice to know that I can build the fuselage stronger and still make it fly good - in fact the strength is needed to prevent the darn thing falling apart in midair! *LOL!*

Brg

Pops
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 07:13:43 PM »

Too Up is in the HPA builders Plan section and is alos a profile style model.

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/categories.php?cat_id=25&page=4

John
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »

This is what a 'TooUp' looks like-mine is slightly overweight at 670g (as you see it here) and flies like a dream for a trainer. It is also a decent size-at 36", so you know you have something on the end of the lines. The large-ish wheels are to cope with our wellington MAC's rather lumpy grass C/L circle....

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Any suggestions?
Re: Any suggestions?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: