Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 16, 2019, 08:04:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How much flight time can you figure on from a scale peanut model?  (Read 205 times)
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2019, 07:56:20 PM »

Some scale designs are pretty clean aerodynamically speaking.  But in my opinion the more detail hanging on a model -- things like engine cylinders, exhaust pipes, wing struts, bracing wires -- the more interesting the model is visually.  These details, however, make for a heavier model, and create increased drag.  When function follows form, flight duration inevitably suffers. I'm wondering what sort of flight duration one might expect from various sorts of outdoor peanut scale aircraft.  How does a clean design perform compared to a relatively "dirty" one?  Can you get as much as two minutes of flight from a clean design?
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 08:14:57 PM »

We typically don't fly peanut outside in our part of the world though I have done very successfully on calm days.  You need to be careful though - It doesn't take a lot of heat in the day to see a 6-7 gram model gone forever even with no freewheel and a jammed prop!

Duration is a function of all kinds of factors.  The cleanliness of the design is one factor but so is weight, wing loading and ultimately the amount of rubber the model can carry.  Between-the-wars racer types  can make very good peanuts despite small wings, because of the length of fuselage which allows extreme motors.

On the other hand you couldn't get a much dirtier design than a pre-WW1  pusher canard biplane floatplane and yet the (?) Voisin Hydravion can be made to do 2 minutes by the real experts.

Heavy peanuts seem to do around the 30 seconds but for a 6-7g model you should be able to do a minute plus
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 01:04:24 AM »

I have seen a 2 min+ Peanut indoors many years ago-at the 1992 Australian Nats....it was largely foam, and geared-so certainly not your average Peanut...it was built and flown by a guy named Adolf Haas (from S.Australia I believe) who was noted for these types of models. Its more than 25 years ago so I don't recall much about the model but from what little I can recall it was a cabin monoplane with fairly minimal detailing....I do recall though he got quite an ovation from everyone present after the flight-it was an outstanding example of modelling skill.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
flyfac
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 01:32:21 PM »

Lots of variables to factor in for peanut flight times, both indoor and outdoor.

If you're curious, you can see event standings for many meets where FAC style peanuts were flown in the FAC News Back Issues section of the FAC website: 

http://www.flyingacesclub.com/Newsletters/FACN273.pdf

As others have pointed out, a strong thermal can turn a 30-second flight into a flyaway, but good peanuts can (and do) routinely turn in 60-90 second flights.

Best,

Scot Dobberfuhl
Forest Grove, OR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: