Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 05:43:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Canard HLG  (Read 747 times)
Iktomi
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2017, 12:19:11 PM »

Here is the first balsa HLG I've made in maybe 20 years. 17" wingspan, 10 1/2" LOA . Main wing is  3/32 soft balsa, canard and vertical fins are 1/16 soft balsa, fuze is two laminated strips of 3/32 medium/hard balsa. It weighs 13 grams all up. I designed it with the TLAR method, and It was just a whisker off in CG, I only had to add the tiniest dab of clay behind the main wing to get it trimmed out. Since I only had shellac on hand, it's sealed with a single coat of that thinned out. I need to get some good brushing lacquer or dope for the next ones. It flies flat and slow out back, haven't had a change to take it to an open area and let it rip yet. I think this basic config might make a good cat launched plane.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h324/redwoodprimitives/20170520_073528_zps3oecayaf.jpg
Canard HLG
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 09:54:11 PM »

Put a hook in the nose!!

Exactly where did the CG wind up.  Always interested in canards.
Iktomi
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 10:50:36 PM »

Put a hook in the nose!!

Exactly where did the CG wind up.  Always interested in canards.

CG is about 1/2" back of the leading edge at center. I probably could have sanded more off the nose to bring it to trim, it was that close.
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 277

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 06:28:26 AM »

A very pretty aeroplane but I suspect you will need a lot more distance between the main wing and the foreplane for successful catapulting.  Like Flydean I await test flights with interest.
John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Iktomi
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:05:47 AM »

A very pretty aeroplane but I suspect you will need a lot more distance between the main wing and the foreplane for successful catapulting.  Like Flydean I await test flights with interest.
John

Hi John, could you elaborate on that a bit? What might be the issues with this configuration on a cat launch?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: