Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 26, 2019, 10:07:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1/10 Fokker DVII  (Read 17309 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 117

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2019, 07:57:43 PM »

They don’t look pinked to me either.
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/fokker_dvii/
Some of them are slightly wobbly though on the close up shot. (Just let me know if you need any tips on how to apply wonky details!)
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2019, 06:35:31 AM »

You might be able to modify a rotary cutter wheel to give a jagged edge by nicking it either side although the steel in those wheels is very hard and the scale tiny (about .0125" pitch?). My mother (87 on Tuesday), a qualified seamstress, tells me they are in fact better at producing accurate cuts that scissors. Appreciate you were being slightly ironic.
great build thread
Nigel

I have used pinking shears before on fabric and they do cut much better than scissors would.

Yes, sorry, to be clear, I was suggesting a rotary cutter might be modified to replicate a pinking effect

these cut with an anvil action, not a dragging action as with a blade against a straight edge, but the idea of tearing against an edge might be simpler if using tissue.

Wikipedia has this about what we know of as pinking shears "The pinking shears design was made by Samuel Briskman in 1931",  so no use in WW I, although it's quite possible the idea was borrowed from an earlier idea. For a long while, pinking was a cheaper alternative to over-lock stitching cloth edges to control fraying. From a production engineering perspective for wing rib tapes, it would make sense to have woven cloth strips, like (modern) bandages, but under the exigencies of war and field repairs, I can imagine anything and everything would be used.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1/10 Fokker DVII
Tiger Tim
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2019, 11:29:20 PM »

WWI rib tapes. Did the Germans even use pinked edges on their fabric rib tapes? Did anyone?

I don't think so. But then again one really never knows.
Luckily we do know how the D.VIIs we’re done as there’s one in a small museum in Canada that’s incredibly still wearing its WWI covering and paint (save for a coup,e patches applied over the years).  I personally don’t know how the tapes were treated but they would.

http://www.bromemuseum.com/about/

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/BromeCountyMuseum/FokkerDVII.jpg
1/10 Fokker DVII
vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2019, 10:26:02 AM »

That's a remarkable photo and plane!
Monz
Silver Member

Kudos: 151

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2019, 05:17:10 PM »

WWI rib tapes. Did the Germans even use pinked edges on their fabric rib tapes? Did anyone?

I don't think so. But then again one really never knows.
Luckily we do know how the D.VIIs we’re done as there’s one in a small museum in Canada that’s incredibly still wearing its WWI covering and paint (save for a coup,e patches applied over the years).  I personally don’t know how the tapes were treated but they would.

http://www.bromemuseum.com/about/

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/BromeCountyMuseum/FokkerDVII.jpg

Amazing that, thanks. To think, that aeroplane is a hundred years old... And original. Unreal.

I've had some great info from here and elsewhere on the rib tapes. Straight cut ones are already on the bottom wings  Wink

Still lozenging away over here, had a bit of an issue with the top wing where I had a few days break between lozenge sessions and the next batch was not as good as the first. I had stretched the tissue during application of the decals and it was too much for it to shrink back taught. So peeled off what I could and dissolved the rest with thinners. I got away with not having to recover that section of wing with tissue again which was a bonus. The thinners stripped everything out of the tissue and I was able to lick shrink it back to how it was and reseal it.

Not much to show, lozenge is a lozenge is a lozenge  Grin Next few days will be lots and lots of 2.5mm white stripes. A seven nation army couldn't hold me back  Roll Eyes

1/10 Fokker DVII
Rhys
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Faithful Wingman

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2019, 10:41:31 PM »

With regard to rib tapes, I found the following information on the forum of theaerodrome.com.  A forum member of the name Dan San, to give him credit wrote the following. Interesting notes ...

"Blue tapes were on the wings and tails of aircraft built by the Ost Deutsche Albatros werke (OAW). Albatros built Fok. D.VII aircraft had salmon pink tapes. Fokker, Halberstadt, Rumpler, LFG Roland, LVG used cut strips of the lozenge fabric........Fokker used strips of the lozenge fabric for the rib tapes. After the ribs on the wings and stabilizer were taped the leading and trailing and wing tips and stabilizer seams were taped over. The aileron, elevator, fin and rudder ribs were not taped. The seams surrounding the ailerons, elevators, fin and rudder taped. The seams on the fuselage were NOT taped.

OAW used blue tapes and sometimes used strips of lozenge cloth.

Albatros used salmon pink tapes and sometimes used strips of lozenge cloth
Blue skies ahead,
Dan-San"
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2019, 10:57:48 PM »

I believe that was Dan-San Abbot, a well-known authority on WWI aircraft.  I used to subscribe to WWI Aero and Skyways magazines.  His work appeared regularly.  If anyone would know, it would have been him.

The example in the museum appears to not have the one and only bracing wire from the upper forward interplane strut to the lower forward cabane/fuselage attachment.  Maybe some DVII's didn't have them.
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2019, 01:26:41 PM »

Or ? it could have erm.. fallen off, in the century since it's manufacture
Rhys
Bronze Member

Faithful Wingman

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2019, 02:29:17 PM »

Looking through a 1/6 scale build of an Albatros C1 I was intrigued at the treatise of rib tape preparation. The modeller has done quite a bit of research and notes that both German and British manufacturers frayed the taping on both longitudinal sides. This apparently would allow the edges to be doped/attached more streamlined and flush with the wing fabric to reduce potential tearing.

skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2019, 05:49:46 PM »

The example in the museum appears to not have the one and only bracing wire from the upper forward interplane strut to the lower forward cabane/fuselage attachment.  Maybe some DVII's didn't have them.

To the best of my knowledge, the D-7 never had bracing wires from interplane struts to the cabanes or fuselage.
I have books with hundreds of photographs on the D7 and I've never seen this. The only wires I've seen were the
aileron cables just aft of the rear top cabane entering the fuselage side just forward on the cockpit.

Skyraider
flydean1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: January 19, 2019, 06:32:17 PM »

That's probably the one I'm thinking about.  It didn't look like the typical bracing wire so it's a control cable.  OK, I learned something.  It's still missing on the museum example.  Probably some variants have the cable re-routed.
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: January 19, 2019, 10:24:38 PM »

Flydean1,
    The cable is there. Its just hard to see. Look closer if you can.

Skyraider
flydean1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2019, 10:36:25 PM »

Got it, thanks.
Monz
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2019, 03:04:37 PM »

Finally finished lozenging this thing. Then it was on to doing all the 'rib tapes'. These are all 2mm wide strips of white decal sheet. I decided to hand paint the trailing edge strips as I really didn't fancy marking, cutting and applying all of those as decals!

Off to London tonight for a job, but with the day off tomorrow hope to get some spraying in. Dying to try my new airbrush that I bought a long time ago and hopefully my compressor repair holds.

For the UK peoples, you'll see little hexagonal glass jars in some of the pics. These are from Hobbycraft and come in three sizes, the smallest is a pack of 12 for £4, they are ideal for mixing dope/thinners and as brush cleaning pots. I have a few of the bigger size too with different dope blends in. And a brush cleaning tip: Have two pots of thinners - first one for the initial clean to get most of the paint off and the second for the final rinse to get the last bits out of the hairs. Leaves your brushes nice and clean and they last longer.

Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »

Looking really impressive Monz. The decal lozenge method works very well, the rib tapes finish it off nicely.

I wonder how the weight compares to using paint achieve the same finish ?

Chris
flydean1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2019, 04:26:01 PM »

One addition to the brush cleaning process I learned some time ago.  After using the two-baths of thinners, wash the brush in hot soapy water rinse thoroughly and air dry.  I have a 1/4 in brush for nitrate dope that I have used for over 40 years, and the bristles have never come out.
Monz
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2019, 03:25:38 PM »

Still no spraying done yet, but many more stripes and... stripes... and... some crosses.

Mefot
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2019, 03:36:33 PM »

Hello Monz  Smiley

I am very,very impressed with your approach and execution of this build. It's a real treat to see this type of work.

Can I ask ? What will your approach to trimming be ? Will you try this outside over the legendary Keilkraft long grass on that rare calm evening, or will you risk all and trim solely indoors ?

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck as your skill and effort deserve success  Smiley
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2019, 03:38:30 PM »

Hang on a minute, I need to find a shilling for the superlatives meter....
Rhys
Bronze Member

Faithful Wingman

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2019, 07:10:35 PM »

I think the use of all caps is appropriate in this case ....

VERY IMPRESSIVE WORK - TRULY BEAUTIFUL
          IN ALL RESPECTS!

One of these days, I hope to be able to build like this.

Rhys
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 117

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2019, 02:47:23 AM »

Lurks, put your money away; that last photo exploded the poor superlatives meter. We’ll now just have to gawp in silent awe.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: January 28, 2019, 10:34:36 AM »

Surprised you are all banging on about it - this standard of workmanship is typical of the old girl - par for the course and all that y'know!!

But this one is remarkably pretty. Could clash horribly with some decor of course. 
abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2019, 12:52:22 PM »

That is remarkable.

I take my hat off to you.

A.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »

I can only add my admiration. A truly amazing build Monz
avrovulcan
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: January 29, 2019, 05:00:56 PM »

Hi, I'm a newbie here and was directed to your build by flydean1.

It is a fantastic model and am in awe of your skill.

I would love to see it fly when it's finished.  Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: